Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM

718 posts, read 2,078,748 times

Advertisements

Perhaps your market value is not FAIR market value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did you mean ask for what they want?

What a seller needs/wants out of the transaction has no bearing on the value of the property.

Market value is established when the seller, the buyer and assuming financing, the lender ( via an appraisal) agree on value.
I mean its their perrogative to refuse any offers they want and refuse to sell for sell for price $x regardless of what the market says

Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM

116 posts, read 425,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCMT View Post
We are so tired of doing our research, knowing so much and finding that homes are still overpriced.
1.They say to look within your price range, but just because you look in your price range doesn't mean you should just buy....the home could be priced still too high and really belong in a lower price range.
We look 75k higher and find after researching the comps, land size, upgrades etc that these homes would be in our price range and that we could actually buy a nicer home if only these people were priced right.
2.Then they try to give us some bull excuse as to why we shouldn't consider all the comps we find: These homes are distressed, relocation, job loss, pre foreclosure etc....well what house isn't! Most homes on the market are some sort of distress sell or why would you sell. Yeah there are a few fishing, but why would you bother if you really didn't have to sell.
We are so fed up with trying to find the fair market value and not buying a home that will find us underwater before we even get the key in the front door.
This is NJ so I guess the greediness is to be expected more here.....what other excuse can I find. What really is fair market value...a figment of our imagination.....
Did you ever think about the seller who bought high in 2006 and has upside down equity on their home? Maybe they have to move because of a job loss or family loss? Having bought a new house in 2006 and paid 495,000 for it and its being marketed for 439,000 at a substanially loss of purchase price with NO EQUITY involved, if you where in my place would you consider dropping the price another 75,000? Leaving yourself with a loan and no home? Not everyone is "out to get you" which is what your post is implying, there are many of us in this stressful situation and have to deal with it, I only wish I was in your position.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
How will the market improve, if everyone, everywhere decided this is not a good time to buy?
Well, if everyone decided that, then prices would fall until some folks decided otherwise. Homes would be more affordable, and that would be an improvement in the market.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Well, if everyone decided that, then prices would fall until some folks decided otherwise. Homes would be more affordable, and that would be an improvement in the market.
Can't argue this.

Do you see the circular nature of this? The more affordable homes become, the more people who will be upside down on their mortgage and unlike previous downturns, many will choose to bolt rather than ride it out, putting more shorts and foreclosures into the marketplace which creates more affodable housing opportunities which.....

In the meantime, we all have to live somewhere.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Can't argue this.

Do you see the circular nature of this? The more affordable homes become, the more people who will be upside down on their mortgage and unlike previous downturns, many will choose to bolt rather than ride it out, putting more shorts and foreclosures into the marketplace which creates more affodable housing opportunities which.....
I agree. What I've realized in recent months, is that the value of the U.S. dollar is inversely affected by the net volume of mortgages created.

If we don't sell houses, I don't think we can debase the currency.

Quote:
In the meantime, we all have to live somewhere.
Indeed we do. Thankfully the rental market is still based on supply and demand.

Did I tell you about the beach house I'm renting?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM

948 posts, read 2,790,973 times
OP - My only suggestion is to write offers on the homes you like for what you are willing/able to pay while keeping in mind what things in your area are selling for. If it doesn't work out you can blame the market. If you don't present written offers to the seller(s) you can blame yourself.

Often the market doesn't fit the criteria of the buyer - when it doesn't fit the criteria of the majority of buyers it will eventually adjust. Just be careful to watch what is selling, or you may find yourself a year from now wondering why you hadn't been doing more than looking.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:09 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Many sellers are in denial about the price drops. Some don't have to sell, yet. This time next year will be a whole new world in real estate. Just wait them out.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,682 times
To the OP
You are not a sucessful buyer yet you "know" what properties "should" sell for. Hum.
My friend, it's a market place not a playground.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
To the OP
You are not a sucessful buyer yet you "know" what properties "should" sell for. Hum.
My friend, it's a market place not a playground.
You look at other similar properties, that have sold and make an estimate about whatever property you are looking at. It's not rocket science, to figure out when a property is 100k overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate