Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
aw, tex sorry to hear that. i can imagine how frustrated you are and now this stupid little thing, which isnt that little but what a PITA!
Yep, Joy, in my jammies, one glass of wine, going to bed. We were sitting up by the fire here at my in-laws. DH had closed the fireplace doors we were headed to our room). stupid me decided to burn a small box i got from an order in the mail. (throw it out?? no, more fun to burn it!) well i couldnt figure out how to open the doors, what i thought was a lock was the flue, which i closed while fire was still burning. now i got the doors a little bit open, flue closed, and i cant figure out how to open OR close the doors. im moving the lock, which is the flue, doors dont move!!! a little bit of smoke was coming out. or so i thought. i call up FIL then i yell to him "im filling the house with smoke!!" he runs up and tells me the lock is the flue and you need to keep it open.....blah, blah. i felt so stupid. oh, yep, filled house with smoke. BOTH levels. at least no alarm went off and he was reminded to check the batteries, haha.

please someone rep me, i dont like that #!
Yeah...it is a PITA, Stoy! Did your FIL buy batteries for the smoke detectors yet? You did him a favor!! My mom taught me to always change the batteries along with the clocks... So when you turn the clocks back in Fall and turn them ahead in Spring--you should also be changing the smoke detector batteries. Thanks Mom^^....I'll go change them now!!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:10 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,087 times
I had a long post typed out and lost internet. had to do with cupcakes, leaking, selling, buying, harrison ford, i don't remember. (kidding about harrison ford).
Tambre, we had our closing date set with the signed offer, they had a large DP so maybe that helped?

Old 11-07-2009, 09:16 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Yeah...it is a PITA, Stoy! Did your FIL buy batteries for the smoke detectors yet? You did him a favor!! My mom taught me to always change the batteries along with the clocks... So when you turn the clocks back in Fall and turn them ahead in Spring--you should also be changing the smoke detector batteries. Thanks Mom^^....I'll go change them now!!

You know my story w/ the fire dept. coming out last week!! We changed the batteries *every 6 mo,* and you have to change .........the actual smoke detector every 2-3 years per the fire inspector that came to our house last week! I never knew that. We have all teh hardwired ones.....8 with the carbon monoxide detectors................

Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
You know my story w/ the fire dept. coming out last week!! We changed the batteries *every 6 mo,* and you have to change .........the actual smoke detector every 2-3 years per the fire inspector that came to our house last week! I never knew that. We have all teh hardwired ones.....8 with the carbon monoxide detectors................
I didn't know that!

I think Painter may be right about my leak being the toilet. It wasn't dripping this morning. After using the toilet/flushing...it was leaking from the ceiling downstairs.

Painter...will I have to buy another toilet?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:42 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times
Quote:

Yep, Joy, in my jammies, one glass of wine, going to bed. We were sitting up by the fire here at my in-laws. DH had closed the fireplace doors we were headed to our room). stupid me decided to burn a small box i got from an order in the mail. (throw it out?? no, more fun to burn it!) well i couldnt figure out how to open the doors, what i thought was a lock was the flue, which i closed while fire was still burning. now i got the doors a little bit open, flue closed, and i cant figure out how to open OR close the doors. im moving the lock, which is the flue, doors dont move!!! a little bit of smoke was coming out. or so i thought. i call up FIL then i yell to him "im filling the house with smoke!!" he runs up and tells me the lock is the flue and you need to keep it open.....blah, blah. i felt so stupid. oh, yep, filled house with smoke. BOTH levels. at least no alarm went off and he was reminded to check the batteries, haha.

please someone rep me, i dont like that #!
Well got ya on the one LOL so no more mark of the beast and hon that's not stupid - a lot of people forget about opening the flue. Now THIS is a stupid thing: Was upstairs one time, smelled smoke so ran downstairs and there's pseudo standing in front of the stove and one of burners is on fire. Asked/yelled at him what the hell are you doing? Put it out! He just says, oh I thought you were supposed to let fires burn out by themselves Forget what names I called him but said that did not apply to indoor fires and I'm sure our neighbors wouldn't appreciate having their house burned down, so I grabbed whatever and smothered the fire. Now THAT is stupid - forgetting to open a flue is not stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Morning Tambre and all.

Wow Stoy-scary.

Tex it was chicken,andouille sausage, peppers/onions/garlic, rice, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt/pepper/cayenne/tabasco/worstershire and shrimp. As always I could feed a crowd as I have never learned to cook for 2.
Well at least you will always have leftovers! Are you having another nice day there? How's Mr. L. feeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
Morning out there, Looks like another good weather day, so I will be heading to the deck in awhile, yahhoooo!
Tex, If the leak has been there long enough to soak the ceiling and you have not noticed it in the bathroom floor it could be the seal for the toilet has given way. A task to fix, but have a plumber do it since you have to take out the toilet to replace the seal. IF this is it make sure the floor itself is not rotting from the water. This is the most common bathroom leak and go on for yrs before it makes itself know especially under a tiled floor. Oh and drop in toilet tablets will break down the seal because of the chlorine it them--dont use them!

Well the tractors are rolling out of the barn so it is getting late----later
Wow - never knew about those toilet tablets. Will store in my memory bank. And you're right, toilet leaks are the most common leaks and can frickin' hide forever under a tile floor. Glad you're having some good weather. Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Good morning. thanks for Reps, Guys!
Tambre, we leave Thurs am, will get there around 5pm, meet with realtor 9am Friday! any word on closing?
Painter, any showings this wknd?
I believe it's about 20 degrees outside here, but warming up til 50.
OOOOh, you're so almost on your way. How exciting! Glad it's going to warm up to at least 50 which is still cold - well lol for me.

Quote:
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was trying to tell my hub about it...and if I call you later he can ask you more lol.........you poor thing!! that is the last thing you need!!!!!!

Stoy- you must be psyched!!

Lacey- you are my hero being such a fabulous cook!! I can bake better than I cook meals lol..I always wanted to start my own cupcake bakery!

Annie's Bakery - has a nice ring to it. We have the 'muffin lady' here - really nice Columbian woman married to a Canadian and while they have a shop, she walks through town with her basket with fresh baked muffins, brownies, etc. Very inexpensive, but when you run the numbers on what they sell - well, they do alright.

Joy-----------lol @ oil leak lol...Exactly..there's a concept!! fix the damn car.................he is law enforcement too lol..they are anal as I know lol.

This is your neighbor who is a COP???????? Dear lord -just tell the guy to take it to jiffy lube or something and get that thing fixed. I'm mean Paleeese

Hows little Misty Rose doing?? curled up by your side????

NOW she is - just been a handful this morning but now she's worn out THANK GOD and sleeping behind me. Babies!

Painter- top of the mornin to you! omg It is freezing here this am!! frost here!
Well it is 'brisk' here - I cannot use the C word compared to you girls, but looks like more rain Ugh, so then temps will drop. Still have 2 pairs of socks on along sweatshirt with hoodie lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi Stoy,

No word on a closing date yet. Still waiting Had brunch with friends, and dinner with an old girlfriend, to say goodbye. It's getting very exciting and scary, and.....all kinds of emotions. I scheduled the van again this Friday, just in case. How soon before the closing did they give you a date?
Moving is a very emotional experience - remember when I moved down here. Was excited, sad, scared (showing property in the jungle) Sometimes it takes a while before they give you a firm closing date and then it can be set real quick. I know a big load will be taken off when you get a date.

Quote:
Sunny here too Amy! Frost disappearing..SUpp. to be only 50 here today..Tomorrow 65! be cold or be warm lol..I hate turning heat on..........

I have no heat to turn on lol pretty much no one here has it, maybe a fireplace but no heating otherwise (maybe some of the real high end houses) - do need to put my rug back down in the living room since I know Misty is going potty in the litterbox because that did keep the room much warmer. Just have to move all the furniture again Ugh

No,no showings scheduled. I think 95 percent of my showings have been within 1-2 hrs. notice. Sad huh? 11/18 contract up..so FSBO here we come especially with the extended 6500k now.....

YEA! FSBO and they extended the credit - wish they would have made it broader so everyone could take advantage of it but am glad it got extended. Still will help sellers a lot.

OH BARB!!!!! HOW WAS THE MEXICAN FOOD??> I love Mexican..........not too spicy though!Did you hit Home Depot/?
Yeah, Barb how was your night on the town! Mexican food sounds so good right now. Mmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
OK....so no dripping or spraying water. The 1st thing I noticed was the finished ceiling in basement having the paint peeling up. So I touched it and it was damp and my finger went straight through the finished ceiling! Then the next morning there was a small puddle of water underneath that area in the basement. There is no visible water around my tub or toilet or sink. I think--it might be coming from the tub. Gosh, I hope it isn't the toilet. My bil is coming down next week-end to investigate and attempt to fix/repair. He does all his own remodeling and repairs at home--a very handy guy. Him and my sister, along with Bella are going to stay overnight.

That's cool Shel that your BIL is a handy type guy - at least he can evaluate to see if he can fix it or if you need a plumber. Plus excuse to get to see your sister and Bella (get Watson snipped!)

I guess I should use the downstairs bathroom for now, huh? Shut off the water to upstairs bath??

Yes, manually shut off the water - but you said it only started leaking when you flushed the toilet so you probably only need to turn that one off, but me being paranoid about some things would probably turn off all the water until someone looks at it. You shouldn't have to replace entire toilet but like Carol brought up maybe the seal and then where ever the leak is coming from (pipe with hole, etc.)

It is very difficult to cook for one or two...wish I was your neighbor!
That would be why I don't. If someone was here I would, but for one person - ick, just not worth the effort. I'm real lazy when it comes to cooking unless I have someone to cook for and Misty doesn't count lol do need to reprogram myself 'cause have my crockpot so could make enough for leftovers for days.

OK kid's starved so going to grab something to eat and then evaluate what I have that I could possibly throw in the crock pot. Don't feel like taking back way down to town for crap (tree still blocking the one road) so will work with what I have here - which ain't much lol Maybe a peanut butter casserole with rice Do think I could jury rig some tomato paste into sauce and have noodles and rice, so might just make up a recipe and go for it - have a lot of different things, so just need to figure out what I have that would actually go together and not taste like dog food.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:54 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
I am back, it got to dang HOT out there staining. Cant win for losing with this weather....

Tex, NO do not buy a toilet, all they will do is drain and remove yours, take out the wax seal and replace it with a new one, then they put the toilet back into place. whole thing takes about 30 mins and that will be that. You may ask the plumber if you can pick it up (Lowe/HD) and he just charge the labor...no tellin what they will charge for the kit, should be around 7-8 bucks only.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Ah Tex the joys of home ownership-NOT!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times
Quote:
Annie's Bakery - has a nice ring to it. We have the 'muffin lady' here - really nice Columbian woman married to a Canadian and while they have a shop, she walks through town with her basket with fresh baked muffins, brownies, etc. Very inexpensive, but when you run the numbers on what they sell - well, they do alright.
As long as there's no tarnished soot in the oven LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CLean clean clean those muffin ovens...Viking preferably lol!

Old 11-07-2009, 12:50 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Baking and Lacey do not go together-but cook a meal-that I love. I've cooked for up to 125 at a time.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:55 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
Hey campers, almost noon and I am just now posting..Carl been unloading that trailer and driving me nuts...no I dont know where to put any of it so stop asking!!!! Need a chill pill soon. Cant lay down for a nap as we are heading to our son's for his and roommates housewarming..wish I felt better, not in the mood for a lot of chit chat. Maybe a glass of wine will loosen my lips a little lol..had a lot of pain during the night and woke up this morning with the same. Tryin to find our king sized feather bed to put on our bed, i think that will help..we have a tempurpedic and it just feels so hard to me. I don't know, its like with pillows, I finally found some that don't hurt my neck too badly. I would like to trade places with the person handling my social security disability file and see how they think I could work. As Annie would say, AZZ.
Ok going to hop in shower and see if I can't get my act together. I did read all your posts this morning but no energy to really post back..PS Mexican food was good, that is one thing they DO know how to make in Southern CA. I can cook decent mexican food, especially my enchiladas....YUM.

later campers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate