U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 AM

17 posts, read 32,074 times
Default Do weekend days count on deadlines?

This question is quite amazing to me, that I should even need to ask it. Some say yes, some say no. None ofthe contracts specify it.

Do weekend and holidays count when it comes to deadlines set in the purchase and earnest money agreements?

I mean how hard is that to answer, really? Half those I ask say no, weekends do not count, others say it does. Rediculous that something so simple, cannot be answered with a simple, yes or no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 AM

18,097 posts, read 13,023,458 times
Most contracts specify X business days.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 AM

17 posts, read 32,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My contract just states "days" not anything about business days or otherwise. Here we go again.

What is the meaning of the word "is" as William Jefferson Clinton, would ask...

What is the meaning of the word "days" as I would ask. Good grief!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 AM

29 posts, read 57,239 times
The answer depends on who you talk to and how the contracts are written. Clauses in the TREC contracts we use in the Austin area refer to calendar days, but that is not the case everywhere. Check the wording in your contract and ask a real estate attorney or your local board of Realtors.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 AM

8,490 posts, read 10,689,559 times
My contracts all specify.
You may not have read closely enough.
It may be specified in another part of the contract.

Our contracts may state "...5 days for acceptance." but on another page state "Time periods of less than 5 days shall not include weekends or holidays." Hence it is not clear reading the 1st part if weekends are included but is clarified later.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:37 AM

17,297 posts, read 15,834,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not in TX, days here mean weekend also.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 PM

10,763 posts, read 17,551,649 times
I agree with MikeP that it may be stated in another part of the contract. We have a section called definitions where it spells that we mean business days in Oregon contracts, BUT REO addenda often override that clause and change it to calendar days.

I'd be stunned if there wasn't a definition somewhere in your contract.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,019,755 times
I would be surprised if a standard Realtor association purchase contract did not have "days" clearly defined. In AZ, it is calender days, including weekends. What is the source of your contract? If provided by an agent, then check with them or their broker.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM

8,464 posts, read 18,301,812 times
In Colorado, there is a box for calendar days including weekends/holidays or not.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM

5,229 posts, read 9,761,809 times
In our contracts, some things are "days" which means all days, including weekends, and some things are "business days" which is actually defined by state code, including which holidays are not counted. There is also a section of the contract that clarifies the meaning of "days" and "business days".

My guess would be, if it doesn't say business days, it means all days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate