U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:58 PM

6,954 posts, read 10,615,186 times
Where's your agent in this? When you're there, stay out of the inspectors way and don't talk to him or ask questions during inspection. You'll distract him from his job and certainly don't want him to miss something. When he's done he'll show you what he found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 AM

9,507 posts, read 9,047,654 times
Buying a $160k villa/duplex unit. Brand new. Has been going through county code inspections. Will have warranty. Paying cash (no mortgage). Should I hire an inspector anyway for my own piece of mind? What would an inspection cost?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 AM

19,524 posts, read 7,756,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Buying a $160k villa/duplex unit. Brand new. Has been going through county code inspections. Will have warranty. Paying cash (no mortgage). Should I hire an inspector anyway for my own piece of mind? What would an inspection cost?

Thanks
All properties have gone through county code inspections - that really doesn't mean anything other than the county was willing to issue a certificate of occupancy.

Ask your agent for a referral of a home inspector. In Atlanta, an inspection runs around $400 (single family home or condo). It may be more for a duplex.

I think a few hundred dollars spent will give you peace of mind and/or reveal anything that you were unaware of.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 AM

9,507 posts, read 9,047,654 times
thanks for the advice - will likely get an inspection

Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,569,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Where's your agent in this? When you're there, stay out of the inspectors way and don't talk to him or ask questions during inspection. You'll distract him from his job and certainly don't want him to miss something. When he's done he'll show you what he found.
wow, I am different. I encourage my clients to follow, ask, and question the whole time. They are paying for this. all the inspectors I work with have a checklist they follow so they don't get distracted. It is too important for the home owner to find all those little funky things and just going to show some issues later doesn't seem to be all that the home inspection is about.

I tell my clients, lets not go into this expecting to find "problems", use your inspector to help you become familiar with your new home!!

Just a different way of looking at it.

Shelly

Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
wow, I am different. I encourage my clients to follow, ask, and question the whole time. They are paying for this. all the inspectors I work with have a checklist they follow so they don't get distracted. It is too important for the home owner to find all those little funky things and just going to show some issues later doesn't seem to be all that the home inspection is about.

I tell my clients, lets not go into this expecting to find "problems", use your inspector to help you become familiar with your new home!!

Just a different way of looking at it.

Shelly
I guess it's about the inspector. It's pretty common for my guys to follow them around, I just encourage them not to bother him while he's working. When they find something funky they'll show it to the people even if it doesn't go on the inspection. They have a little recorder so as they go through the home they talk into it so they don't forget anything. Talking to the inspector distracts him as he goes through and drags it out.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 PM

83 posts, read 116,123 times
Yes great answer a buyer should be there for the entire inspection. And also another gd point take that pad and get those questions cranking. Been there gd point, you are paying a lot of money for this inspection. Some inspectors not all :>) would like to rush you , don't let them.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 PM

83 posts, read 116,123 times
Default On Home or Condo Inspections

We will be buying a condo this year if we find one we like Our style and every home inspector has welcomed this from us is to go around with him, good inspectors are used to this . Our style also is that the potential buyer Us are the only ones with the inspector. We are paying quite frankly don't mean to offend anyone , I don't want anyone else around just my 1 cent worth

Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 PM

221 posts, read 208,299 times
I would not use one the realtor recommends. There is an inherent conflict of interest. Try to get recommendations from friends or perhaps Angie's list. Also good advice to be there for the entire inspection. The last home inspector started early and I missed it. Next house will have in the contract that it is off if that happens again.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I would not use one the realtor recommends. There is an inherent conflict of interest...
Not if you hire a good agent that you can trust. Good agents tend to use good referrals because it's also our reputation on the line. Bad agents tend to give bad referrals. If buyers do a good job hiring the agent they shouldn't have concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate