Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

Our listing was up today and we decided to just opt out until spring, or maybe longer, when we will get fresh opinions and start from scratch.
I'm feeling both relieved and sad. Our house has been for sale for 2 1/2 years and no lookers for over a year. We've had two different real estate agents and companies.
I thought I would have been moved years ago. I feel imprisoned by this house that we worked so hard for and work so hard to keep beautiful. If I lived in some little modest dump it would have sold a long time ago. I wish I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:22 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,270,725 times
Well, look at it this way, you get to relax through the winter, I know how hard it is waiting for showings, feedback and just the keeping the house clean takes a horrible stress on you.

Now you get to enjoy your holidays and start fresh in the spring! Enjoy your lovely home while you are in it, sounds like you have a lovely home Gentlearts..hang in there...

Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,084 times
Some things we just can't control, and some things happen for a reason. Enjoy the holidays and keep a positive attitude. In time, the right buyer will find you.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I know lots of people that are in a similar situation. For some they got offers and got pretty far down toward selling but then things fell apart with bad appraisals, lenders disappearing or the buyers just getting cold feet. It really takes an emotional toll.

Since you plan on being off the market for several months that ought to give you a chance to mentally recharge. It also will be that when you get back on the market your listing will not be stale. You might want to do some stuff to freshen the place up so that photos will have an "all new" look. Little stuff like linens and towels and paint can be REALLY helpful to do this.

The other question that you face is to determine just HOW SCARCE are any buyers in your area for your price point. I know with job loss and fears of economic doom many people in industrial areas are really scared. It is just about impossible to sell for a fair price in such an environment.

If you had plans to relocate that might need to be revisited, or at least reevaluated. If the overall picture of your future job AND the loss you might take on your home is too negative it might even make sense to reconsider midterm career objectives.

No light at the end of tunnel yet for areas that have relied on manufacturing. Might be something to remind elected officials of when they try to raise taxes...

Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 AM

59 posts, read 222,100 times
It seems like the OP really cared for the house and probably maintained/added great features and priced the house based on that. However, when I sold my house, I realized that all these great features are somewhat "meaningless" to the new buyer. Eg: when I built my house, I'd the best carpet (really thick ones) installed, the basement finished, had nice faucet, all upgrades that I knew cost much more than other houses around with the same structure. However, since I'd to move, I sold it as was only able to sell when I could drop my price well beyond the comps... the fact u'd no showing in a yr tells me that u r way OVER PRICED... u could wait another yr, but it'll be the same story except ur house will be one yr older and everything in it will be a yr older as well... I'm just expressing my own experience, so don't take it personally... if u really want to sell, u've to put in a price that's attractive to the buyer even though that's a loss to u in some aspect (such as not getting what's worth for fence, landscaping etc).

Old 10-23-2009, 09:04 AM

386 posts, read 1,363,475 times
Sorry, I know what you are going through. We finally sold our house b/c we reduced our price again and we found 'the' buyer. I was getting to the point where I thought there was no buyer out there who appreciated the things we put into the house and the layout we had. Just before we were going to take it off the market and remodel for next spring, someone came in, loved the place and put in an offer. Of course, it was not the offer we hoped for, but luckily we took it since I lost my job two weeks later. If you really want to sell it and can affort to do so, I would reduce the price, and relist with your realtor for another month or so. I know the hot season is probably over, but people like me are out there looking at houses to buy. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post

Just before we were going to take it off the market and remodel for next spring, someone came in, loved the place and put in an offer. Of course, it was not the offer we hoped for, but luckily we took it since I lost my job two weeks later. If you really want to sell it and can affort to do so, I would reduce the price, and relist with your realtor for another month or so. I know the hot season is probably over, but people like me are out there looking at houses to buy. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Talk about everything happening for a reason.
Absolute best of luck to you.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM

328 posts, read 885,809 times
I'm sorry but things are starting to look up. Is the home priced right? Have any other homes sold in the area? Check Zillow. Go to some of the open houses in the area. What special features does your home offer? What type of people buy in your neighborhood? Enjoy your holiday but keep your eye on the market. I understand real estate agents are important but you know your area best. Empower yourself. The house will sell but you have to figure out what the buyer needs are and price accdly. It may be in your best interest to price slightly lower than the competition but do not give it away. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeowner35 View Post
I'm sorry but things are starting to look up. Is the home priced right? Have any other homes sold in the area? Check Zillow. Go to some of the open houses in the area. What special features does your home offer? What type of people buy in your neighborhood? Enjoy your holiday but keep your eye on the market. I understand real estate agents are important but you know your area best. Empower yourself. The house will sell but you have to figure out what the buyer needs are and price accdly. It may be in your best interest to price slightly lower than the competition but do not give it away. Good luck.
There was ONE sold comp in the year before we last relisted in April. Of course I could sell if I wanted to give the place away, but I don't. The only houses that are selling around here are the starter houses for mid $100s or lower.
One problem we have is a 5000 sq ft barn,workshop, garage that we aren't willing to throw in for free.
We've taken a deep breath, and started to make plans to change some things, just for our own amusement (we never got any negative feedback). We're dragging back the personal objects like photos, etc. and we're just going to enjoy our house again for awhile.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,179 times
oh believe me I can relate though you'll hate me because I am finally free of my house after 2.5 yrs (closing was last Friday)...it is such an awful feeling. Enjoy your winter and holidays and deal with it in the spring - that's what we were prepared to do if we didn't sell by end of Nov. Best of luck to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate