U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 18,973 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I bought some land with a 1150 sq ft doublewide manufactured home on it. My question is can I remove any of the seperator walls inside the home to make the living room/kitchen areas into one large space. Right now the kitchen is in one half of the home and the living room is in the other half. There is a wall seperating the two rooms that goes to the ceiling where the two halves of the house are connected. Is that wall typically load bearing or not?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM

6,096 posts, read 11,400,568 times
Yes the middle wall supports the ridge of the two halves. You could contact the manufacturer for more information about whether such a potential remodel is feasible. You likely would have to leave at least a post or two somewhere to continue support the two halves.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

I was afraid of that. You wouldn't have any idea of the maximum span I could go between posts would you?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:18 PM

21,579 posts, read 36,422,679 times
Don't look at the pictures without reading the story:

Hell’s Kitchen: DIY Remodel Gone Very, Very Wrong | Calfinder Remodeling Blog

The details of this AFTER make clear that the BEFORE was a doublewide that was built in such a way attempts to result to redo the kitchen were futile and the place was better hauled away!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM

6,096 posts, read 11,400,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68charger440 View Post
I was afraid of that. You wouldn't have any idea of the maximum span I could go between posts would you?
Really, seriously, find the manufacturer and ask them. I know what I would do, but I spent a lot of time in the trades when I was younger.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,663,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Really, seriously, find the manufacturer and ask them. I know what I would do, but I spent a lot of time in the trades when I was younger.
Totally agree with this! There are calculations you can do to determine beam size for a span, but you need to know loads, spans, etc. Its not just that you need to slap up a 2x6 you need an actual beam. Don't trust something you found on the internet for this one. Best bet is the manufacturer. And if you don't know how to take out a load bearing wall, call a contractor. This isn't a DIY job. For reference, my husband is in the trades and completely remodeled one bathroom into two spaces - passed all his inspections with flying colors, yet we called in the pros from Toledo when we needed to take out a load bearing wall.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone. I will contact the manufacturer. I have a structural engineer I have worked with on other remodels, but the more info I get the better. I have experience with site built home remodeling but none with manufactured homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate