Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM

93 posts, read 325,968 times

Advertisements

Senate approves jobless, housing aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091105/bs_nm/us_usa_economy_congress_senate - broken link)
The new credit, which is due to expire on November 30, would be extended until April 30 and expanded to include more affluent homebuyers. People who have owned a home for at least five years would also be eligible for a $6,500 credit if they move.

Can someone explain this to me? I need to move for work, yet the credit won't apply to me because i've only owned my home for 2.5 years. What is the point of limiting this to A) first timers and B)5 year owners. What about those of us in the middle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,346,870 times
It's so people will buy homes. No idea why they limited it to just first time home buyers. That's what happens when the government meddles.

I think it's unfair that I have to pay my $7500 back, when had I bought a few months later I would've got $8k scott free. Personally, I think it's unfair anyone got any money.

On the plus side I don't think Raleigh home values have gone down that much, and all this is doing is inflating the purchase prices. A house just like mine (actually in a slightly worse lot) just sold for $20k more than I bought mine for 1.5 years ago. Inflation at its best.

In fact, now that this credit has been extended I have enough time to get my place ready to sell. If I can make $20k in the worst housing market in the recent past I should probably pull out while the getting is good .

Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,108,358 times
I'm furious at this new bribe.

I choose to rent, cannot itemize, and have no bribe available to go lease a new apartment in a luxury area such as North Hills.

Why are renters spit on as if we were cockroaches? We mostly are more efficient users of resources and occupy the amount of space we really need.

Home prices do need to drop and the market should be allowed to reach its true level.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,167,529 times
Years ago, when I first became a Realtor, I remember a class in which the instructor told us that the gov't. would NEVER allow housing to go into a downward spiral because the economy is so tied to housing. Well, look what happened. The gov't screwed up and thus look at the repercusions!

The tax credits are the gov't. way of getting us back on track. In my opinion, they should just give a credit to EVERYONE and ANYONE that buys a house right now to get the economy going.

Sorry, SF but if the gov't. gives a tax credit to renters, that only helps the rental company.

Giving a tax credit to home buyers puts A LOT of folks back to work AND helps the economy. Look at it this way: a buyer buys a new home. The builder has work, the painters and flooring people have work. Even Wal Mart gets help...people buy new things for their new home! It trickles down to everyone, including Realtors and Lenders and just goes on and on.

Vicki

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 11 days ago)

43,115 posts, read 76,693,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post
Senate approves jobless, housing aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091105/bs_nm/us_usa_economy_congress_senate - broken link)
The new credit, which is due to expire on November 30, would be extended until April 30 and expanded to include more affluent homebuyers. People who have owned a home for at least five years would also be eligible for a $6,500 credit if they move.

Can someone explain this to me? I need to move for work, yet the credit won't apply to me because i've only owned my home for 2.5 years. What is the point of limiting this to A) first timers and B)5 year owners. What about those of us in the middle?

What about those of us who just pay and don't intend to move?

The economists are scared and just trying to churn the bucks instead of letting them sit stagnant.
Some smart folks I speak with think churning the bucks may be one way out of the current economic climate.

Something is working in some ways. Inventories are down. New unemployment claims down, and that is a trailing indicator of the economy. There will be jobs to replenish inventories.

The evolution of tax credit stimulus for home buyers:

2008: Up to $7500 interest-free loan. (Doesn't seem fair to me, but I don't see them being 'forgiven.' Not enough empathy.)
2009: Up to $8,000 fully refundable 1st timers tax credit.
2010: *Up to $8,000 fully refundable 1st timers tax credit, and $6,500 for move up buyers, both with broader limits. *Still in process, and likely to be law before Veterans Day.

Going out on a limb:
2011: Eggs in everyone's beer!

Really, if EVERYONE gets $6,000 or $8,000 or $15,000 in gubmint charity, it will be easy to track the negative impact on inflation and the economy. The messing with the number makes it harder to track, more arguable on either "side," and provides the economists with work.
No one can truly tell which of the three programs is "best."

Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM

374 posts, read 1,179,277 times
The reason they put the 5 year limit on was so house flippers would not get the tax credit. Some house flippers buy the house, live in it while they work on it on the side so it may take them 1-2 years. I don't know why they went as high as 5 years though, seems overkill to me

Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM

93 posts, read 325,968 times
Default I suppose...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammester View Post
The reason they put the 5 year limit on was so house flippers would not get the tax credit. Some house flippers buy the house, live in it while they work on it on the side so it may take them 1-2 years. I don't know why they went as high as 5 years though, seems overkill to me
But flippers are easy to spot, and I"m clearly not one of them. I doubt my house has increased in value due to anything I've done to it. Just basic maintenance. And I can clearly document that I'm buying a new house due to relocation.

Wouldn't flippers get their due when it comes time to pay capital gains tax? And couldn't it be said that Flipping is GOOD for the economy so they would want to encourage it?

Flipping isn't common in my area, housing is plentiful and it just isn't profitable here.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:46 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,981,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post

The benefit to you is that there will now be more buyer's in the marketplace so you should have an easier time selling your house.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,981,514 times
Mike (or any realtors) - are you seeing people delaying their closing until after the bill is enacted so that they may qualify for the credit?

Last edited by SaucyAussie; 11-05-2009 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 11 days ago)

43,115 posts, read 76,693,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Mike (or any realtors) - are you seeing people delaying their closing until after the bill is enacted so that they may qualify for the credit?
No.

But I AM seeing confusion in the market, as the meddling has created some demand but has also put some folks into the "Let's wait and see if they sweeten it" mode over the summer.

NAHB and NAR were talking up a $15,000 credit at one point. For all Buyers. Elective buyers who heard that hesitated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate