Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 88,092 times

Advertisements

Is it wise to have an Open House over Memorial Day weekend? Do you think people from out of town are looking at houses over a long weekend?
Also, is Sat or Sun a better day?
Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,804,853 times
Open houses are terrible. They are only good for your Realtor to drum up business as well as for your nosey neighbors to see your bedroom.

You might bet lucky though. Why not memorial day there maybe some folk in from out of town that like your home.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,779,178 times
Sunday has always been best. But over that weekend, you will not have that much attention. The people that may come over might be nosey neighbors or possibly, possibly serious buyers.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,756 times
Hi
I am a realtor and last year on race weekend/ Memorial Day I had 2 clients from out of the area come in to look for houses. I showed property from Thursday to Sunday. In the almost 8 years I have been here I have sold or taken potential sales calls on every major holiday, including Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday. Based on my experience, you will not get crowds of people but there is always a % of people who are in the area for a holiday who are looking and actually buy homes then. Remember, you only need one buyer. If I were to pick a day I would say Sat over Sun. The key I think is good advertising well in advance and maybe a little hook to bring them in. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:28 AM

15 posts, read 88,092 times
Thank you so much for the input. Its funny, some realtors say that open houses just bring in nosey neighbors, yet every realtor I have spoken to says word of mouth (especially from your neighbors) is the best way to get the word out about your home!

Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,087,092 times
I'm not a REA so I'm speaking as a recent seller and buyer. The offers we got on our home were from people who saw it during the open house. And yes, the preview for neighbors and the caravan for real estate agents brought some potential buyers to the open house, including the ones who put offers. We also just put an offer on a house we visited initially during an open house. I don't know statistically how open houses fare, but they worked for us in selling and buying. Good luck.

Last edited by mlv311; 05-15-2007 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM

612 posts, read 2,770,190 times
All I can say is, it never hurts. Anything you use to get word out is good.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 85,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs to clt View Post
Is it wise to have an Open House over Memorial Day weekend? Do you think people from out of town are looking at houses over a long weekend?
Also, is Sat or Sun a better day?
Thanks for your input!
As a Realtor the only time I am holding an open house o Memorial Day weekend is if the house is in a neighborhood which a lot of people meet for that holliday. An example is a lake house or a house that backs up to a gof course.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,385,516 times
I did a open house on Superbowl Sunday of this year and I almost sold it to two people, but we already had an accepted offer that Friday and it was too late to cancel it. Movitated buyers will be out then.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:18 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I did a open house on Superbowl Sunday of this year and I almost sold it to two people, but we already had an accepted offer that Friday and it was too late to cancel it. Movitated buyers will be out then.
Why did you do an open house on a house that was already under contract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate