U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:36 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,431,092 times

Advertisements

FWIW, I spent more time in some of the "not quite right" homes than the one I bought. Sometimes, it's just that gut feeling that when you walk in the door, you know what's right and what's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,979,891 times
we've had several people take over an hour - only to be told, "eh they didn't like....(this or that)" You know...if you're going to take an HOUR to view my 3 bedroom 2800 sq foot house, you bloody well better be making me an offer!

But we did have a few people take an hour who did like the house....so you never know. Agree, don't worry about it until you get an offer, otherwise it's just torture.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:49 PM

7,033 posts, read 11,161,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
Interesting. My agent appreciates it and always follows up. There are certainly different methods out there.
I get emails from Supra. I don't normally get feedback anyway unless I can't figure why I'm not getting offers on a home and I'm getting showings. Sometimes in those situations if the buyer showed any interest I'll have my seller make an offer to them. The best feedback is did they make an offer or not. Most agents don't remember the home well enough to give honest feedback or either don't know why their client didn't like it.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
Or am I just a typical impatient seller?
Yeah.
Time, is no measure for that.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:52 PM

44 posts, read 122,318 times
Beware of buyers who come with a note pad , camera , or spend more than 15-20 minutes looking at a home. (Unless it is very large) They are so busy documenting and analyzing they really don't "experience" the home. Liking the home first, is key to the sale. The finances and other technical details come later. Follow up with the agent who shows within 24 hours is very important. If they have to come back 3 times, than there is something they are unsure of or don't like. In either case, they probably are not ready to buy.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:14 PM

901 posts, read 1,989,118 times
This is interesting. When we were shopping at times we would stay inside the house and go over listing. Granted, these weren't houses that the owner was outside and waiting, but still if you timed us what conclusion would you arrive at? Also, I am a bit rushed, so if I know the owner is hanging around and waiting I will be super fast, if I like the place I will go for a second look.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 PM

18,703 posts, read 17,465,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbk View Post
Beware of buyers who come with a note pad , camera , or spend more than 15-20 minutes looking at a home. (Unless it is very large) They are so busy documenting and analyzing they really don't "experience" the home.
I always encourage buyers to put away their video cameras. They are so busy shooting the house they don't "See" the house. They can bring out the cameras once they narrow it down to 2-3 that they really like.

Back to OP, I try to train my buyers on how to look at a home and many need to know it's OK to leave a bad home quickly. Life is too short to look at ugly homes.

So yes if they have been looking at homes for awhile, many times how long they stay is a good indicator. They usually leave a less than desirable home fairly quickly.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:57 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,057,074 times
As a buyer, we rarely saw a house the second time (I always thought that would be lossing a negotiating power) so we take time at least 30min to view a house. Once we saw the house all arround, I took pictures and there is no need to go twice to make sure whether how we could use a specific space. People go back to do this thing or confrim what they thought they saw or keep on saying "do you remeber this.." and I prefer to do it in one shot.

So, yah we could be taking time but that may not mean anything to you as a seller, if you are trying to associate time taken by a prospective buyer and the degree of their interest in your house. The biggest indictor, IMO, should be the traffic rather than the time taken by prospective buyer.

Good luck in selling your house.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 AM

13 posts, read 35,082 times
A potential buyer will decide if they like your home within 8 seconds of viewing, according to HGTV. If they stay longer, they are interested.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 AM

6,833 posts, read 21,956,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
The biggest indictor, IMO, should be the traffic rather than the time taken by prospective buyer.
If the listing agent is doing his/her part... no truer words could be spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher1212 View Post
... according to HGTV.
Yeah, and I believe in the tooth fairy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate