Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 12:32 PM

756 posts, read 1,650,784 times

Advertisements

A broker and her clients have visited twice and called two times for details. This time she said she needed just one more piece of information "before we make an offer." She will, of course, go through my agent with the offer.

My wife and I discussed renting before buying when we move to NC and so will want to sell most of our furniture. So my question for the agents here is this:

Is it appropriate to offer furniture/appliances (Maytag Washer/Dryer) as part of a counter to the initial offer? Or are most clients interested in the bottom line more than furniture/appliances?

The furniture would include an oak wall unit designed to fit perfectly along one wall with all cable and sound wiring accessed to it. (We designed the home.) If they happened to want anything else, we would be happy to include it.

All the appliances except the washer and dryer will stay no matter what but the Maytag W&D are their top of the line items.

Whatever we don't negotiate, we will likely sell on Craig's list and/or an "furniture sale open house." Formal dining (6 chairs), casual dining (4 chairs), sleeper couch and matching love seat, oak roll top desk, oak Armour, antique oak dresser, solid oak L-shaped office desk and hutch, oak book shelves, ... We just thought offering it to the home buyers might be an option.

Oh, how will I wait for the offer? If it comes this week, that is FAST. It has been 14 days since the listing went up on MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 12:41 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,148,543 times
The cleanest and simplest thing to do is not include the sale of any furnishings/appliances(that would normally not stay) as part of the house purchase contract. Do a completely separate transaction for the sale of any furnishings/appliances. This separate transaction would be for those furnishings/appliances that normally would not be considered as part of a house purchase. If there is any question about what remains as part of the house purchase it should be spelled out in the house purchase contract.

Last edited by gbone; 12-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: revised

Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,706,953 times
All appliances usually convey to the buyer.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:54 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,148,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
All appliances usually convey to the buyer.
In my area the washer and dryer don't usually convey but kitchen appliances do.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,553,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
In my area the washer and dryer don't usually convey but kitchen appliances do.
Same in AZ where OP is. Refrigerator is not normally included too.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM

15,537 posts, read 40,304,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Same in AZ where OP is. Refrigerator is not normally included too.
Us too. AZ and Oregon are very similar.

Guy be careful of loading too many personal items in the purchase and sale agreement. Lenders start to worry that the value of the home has to do with the furnishings and not the structure. Frig, washer and dryer to be included isn't that uncommon, but the custom bookcase...better to do a separate bill of sale and sell if for $1 or something.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 PM

756 posts, read 1,650,784 times
Thank you all. Good info as always.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,553,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Us too. AZ and Oregon are very similar.

Guy be careful of loading too many personal items in the purchase and sale agreement. Lenders start to worry that the value of the home has to do with the furnishings and not the structure. Frig, washer and dryer to be included isn't that uncommon, but the custom bookcase...better to do a separate bill of sale and sell if for $1 or something.
In fact, the AZ contract has a section where you can check off if the Frig, washer, dryer are to be included and space to note make/model info, and other items. But I agree that best done separately for a lot of stuff to be sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate