Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,570,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It would sure appeal to me, I hate stucco, lol!! And he has GRASS!!!! I've never seen a yard in Arizona that had grass - that makes it so much more attractive if you ask me
Actually, lots of homes have grass (mine too). A positive for Guy is that the Mesa area tends to have a better mix of building styles as compared to newer developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 PM

756 posts, read 1,652,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Guy, I did a quick check around your area, and you are the highest priced compared to other similar active homes (1 level, similar sq footage, similar lot size). Next highest is at $349K on market 84 days "regular" sale. As you said, hard to find comparable sold comps. There are 2 active short sale listings at $339K and $320K. I understand the problem your agent has trying to find solid sold comps. But the actives don't help your situation.

Your property is very unique for the area, not your typical AZ stucco. So it will appeal to a smaller buyer pool.

FYI, here are the listings I found: Flex-MLS Public-Side Viewer

Edit: the $320K listing did not sell, error in MLS; there is another active listing for the same home.
Many thanks for your kindness!

I know that there is almost no similar home on the market - but then, my wife and I designed this home and had it built with 2x6 construction, dual pane windows throughout, almost all windows under porches, R-40 insulation throughout, split floor plan, 3 car turned garage extended wide and long with cabinets and work bench, and much more.

Nonetheless, I suspect that appraisers don't care much about all that. They see what has sold of the same size with similar amenities and that is that. If they are taking homes similar to ours and appraising them at $281K, then the best we can hope to get is $300 to $325K. That is depressing.

Someone asked if $355 was our bottom line. It is because we need to use equity only for a purchase in NC. The homes we can accept there run $250 to $300K. I have some pretty extensive spreadsheets and know where we are financially. The markets have hammered our long-term retirement funds, so we cannot jeopardize them by robbing for a better house.

The one thing we do have is this house and no requirement to move. But we have wanted to move for 2 years now and so far with no luck.

That is our frustration and anger. I need to get over it and get on with it.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 PM

40,948 posts, read 49,132,801 times
Sounds to me he got upset cause a buyer walked which is a normal feeling. Buyers are so fickle today and have a lot of inventory to choose from they will bail with little effort.

There will be other buyers come along hopefully soon.

GuyFriendly I'd like to recommend a good realtor in your area named rjrcm. If you decide to change agents give me a call or email and I'll see if I can track him down.

rjrcm - If this works out, you owe me a referral fee. 50% would be nice.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 PM

15,567 posts, read 40,389,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sounds to me he got upset cause a buyer walked which is a normal feeling. Buyers are so fickle today and have a lot of inventory to choose from they will bail with little effort.
No I think Guy is upset because the agent told him what he wanted to hear, which was consistent with his monetary goals, but not consistent with reality.

I think what Guy was looking for was a real thorough analysis and upfront attitude of "you can't get what you want." I have had this conversation many times with sellers and they are hard conversations to have. I personally would rather be brutally honest and lose a listing, then tell someone "let's try it" knowing that is a recipe for failure.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,654,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No I think Guy is upset because the agent told him what he wanted to hear, which was consistent with his monetary goals, but not consistent with reality.

I think what Guy was looking for was a real thorough analysis and upfront attitude of "you can't get what you want." I have had this conversation many times with sellers and they are hard conversations to have. I personally would rather be brutally honest and lose a listing, then tell someone "let's try it" knowing that is a recipe for failure.
I like your style That's the way I would do business!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

You nailed it. I am brutally honest myself (as you may have noticed here) - even when I am wrong.

We asked her point blank if we could get what we needed and she told us we could. She was probably engaged in wishful thinking - she is too nice to have been lying to us.

Bottom line is that we take a deep breath and move on. We sell or do not sell, there is no try. (Thanks Yoda)

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 AM

The good news is that I will be BUSY for the next 3 weeks... yep, this is me:

The Santa Claus visits Mesa, Chandler, Queen Creek, Gilbert, Tempe, and Scottsdale, Arizona

Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,441,819 times
DITTO!

So funny reading about grass being an extra selling point! I will have to remember that as I bush hog 10 acres and mow the other 5!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,687,735 times
A "let's try" mindset is weak from a negotiation standpoint, in all but locally robust markets and economies because it is not defendable.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,687,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post

Someone asked if $355 was our bottom line. It is because we need to use equity only for a purchase in NC. The homes we can accept there run $250 to $300K. I have some pretty extensive spreadsheets and know where we are financially. The markets have hammered our long-term retirement funds, so we cannot jeopardize them by robbing for a better house.
This is the non distressed housing crisis, in a nutshell.

There is incredible pent up demand for housing, right now. Buyers need to sell for what they need to make their next move. The market, however, does not give a fig about what someone needs ( or can afford, for that matter).

CMAs are living documents. Every new listing, closed sale and price adjustment of remotely comparable property can change the outcome.
Buyers determine value by comparison shopping, which often gives them an advantage over sellers who are stuck in the mindset that they are selling a unique product for what they need/ want out of a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate