Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 PM

35 posts, read 180,177 times

Advertisements

Can we request (or demand) to see proof of buyer's financing and proof of cash prior to a closing date? Or do we have to go on faith and wait until closing to see if the buyer has all the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Usually you get a preapproval letter that states what the remaining contingencies are. You don't have a preapproval letter?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
Can we request (or demand) to see proof of buyer's financing and proof of cash prior to a closing date? Or do we have to go on faith and wait until closing to see if the buyer has all the money?
You should request proof of ability to purchase, whether it's in the form of a mortgage preapproval (not a prequalification, but a preapproval that confirms the borrowers credit and financials have been checked, and that the loan is only contingent upon a satisfactory appraisal) or proof of funds if it's to be a cash deal. Without that proof of ability to purchase, you, as a seller, shouldn't sign off on the contract or stop marketing your property.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
What does your contract say?

As enchanting as the internet is, and as accommodating as agents here on CD try to be, you are asking questions with answers that are very localized.
It sounds like you really need to speak with the managing broker, supervising broker, broker-in-charge, qualifying broker, or whatever title your agent's supervisor carries.

Now, here in North Carolina, we have timelines and requests built into the transaction in the contract. They are negotiable, and can vary from transaction to transaction.

How is West Virginia structured? Your contract will tell you the score.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

As enchanting as the internet is, and as accommodating as agents here on CD try to be, you are asking questions with answers that are very localized.
It sounds like you really need to speak with the managing broker, supervising broker, broker-in-charge, qualifying broker, or whatever title your agent's supervisor carries.

Now, here in North Carolina, we have timelines and requests built into the transaction in the contract. They are negotiable, and can vary from transaction to transaction.

The same thing is true in Maine. Here the Purchase and Sale Agreement spells out when the "made application" letter, when the buyer actually starts the loan process is due to the seller as well as the loan commitment letter is due and if those dates are missed the buyer is in default. Your agent should know those dates cold. Our Purchase and Sale Agreement also gives you and/or your agent the right to contact the buyer's lender to find out the status of their loan.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Yes, normally I get one prior to a signed contract.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Typically proof of cash is requested only for an all cash purchase. You should see a pre-approval letter before accepting the offer, and you Realtor should have called and talked to the lender who provided the letter and asked if credit has been pulled, funds verified, W2s provided, or if it's just an "approved based on what the borrower told me" type of letter. The latter is weak.

So you check all this up front, before executing the final contract. It would be unusual to ask after under contract and before closing, though the Realtor should be checking in regularly with the lender to get status updates and make sure any additional underwriting requirements are being tended to.

Steve

Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

While I agree with the generalism that all real estate is local, Mike, do you really think this issue is handled with any substantial difference from one state to another? Are there locales where it's common to accept a contract for sale without proof that the buyer can perform? And I ask that not being a woiseass, but because I'd genuinely be interested in hearing about such a market and how that difference affects things.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:43 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
While I agree with the generalism that all real estate is local, Mike, do you really think this issue is handled with any substantial difference from one state to another? Are there locales where it's common to accept a contract for sale without proof that the buyer can perform? And I ask that not being a woiseass, but because I'd genuinely be interested in hearing about such a market and how that difference affects things.
Bill,
I agree with your point.

BUT...
The OP has an agent, has issues with the agent, is in contract with prospect of a missed closing date, and without question needs to kick the whole matter upstairs ASAP rather than blindly surf CityData.
Under those parameters, I would go as far as to say that my responses to the OP are, well, perfect.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
SHort answer, HECK YEAH!!

Your agent should have gotten that for you prior to accepting a contract. Then your agent should be in constant contact with the buyer's lender to get updates on what stage the financing is in to make sure they are fully approved through underwriting and not still pre-approved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate