Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM

107 posts, read 334,131 times

Advertisements

If you have contract but do not want to move during winter time, can you request to delay it to the seller?
I believe most sellers want to close within a month but since there is snow and cold weather, you might not want to move within 30 days.
Also you might not be able to rent your house during winter time so you will be losing mortgage money while one house is empty until rented.
Should you write up the contract to be in the winter time or would it be better to request for 90 days after signed contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM

43 posts, read 212,277 times
It depends on whom you are dealing with, but as a seller in this market, I know I want to close on the sale of my house ASAP. It doesn't matter if I have a place to move to or not. Extending the contract to accomodate something like this only poses more of a problem to the seller than already exists in case the deal falls through at closing.

As a seller, I have a huge fear of a deal falling through - if it falls through, there goes 4 - 6 weeks (or however long!) of lost market time. Just my opinion though!

Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM

11,817 posts, read 34,314,072 times
There are some days in the winter that are bad weather days. There is not a 4 month period in the winter where every day is bad. Just don't move on those days.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,514,480 times
The longer the time between contract and closing, the more risk the sellers assumes and sometimes, the more the buyer will pay.

Having said this, there are always some sellers who have no place to go who might welcome a dealyed closing. Everything is negotiable.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM

This is Foreclosure house on a busy street/highway. I might be over paying since I added 20% from asking price.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM

17,012 posts, read 14,356,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
This is Foreclosure house on a busy street/highway. I might be over paying since I added 20% from asking price.
The bank will not delay closing because of weather.

In fact, take a look at your addendums. I would bet that there is verbiage in there that states you'll be charged a daily penalty for every day you don't close past the scheduled closing date.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 AM

53 posts, read 214,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
Why would you offer 20% MORE than the asking price on a foreclosure on a highway in this market?? You stated earlier that no one else is knocking on their door making offers. I would have offered less than asking price and have gone from there.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,541,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The bank will not delay closing because of weather.

In fact, take a look at your addendums. I would bet that there is verbiage in there that states you'll be charged a daily penalty for every day you don't close past the scheduled closing date.
Chuckity is correct. The bank will want as short a closing a possible, likely within 30 days of their acceptance, and charge a penalty for delays.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlocked60 View Post
Why would you offer 20% MORE than the asking price on a foreclosure on a highway in this market?? You stated earlier that no one else is knocking on their door making offers. I would have offered less than asking price and have gone from there.
That is due to the bank lowering the price about 100k from original price.
We put essclation clause but they wanted solid numbers and told me they had multiple offers. I am not sure if they did or not but I had to increase the offer since it seems like it is still under valued.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Chuckity is correct. The bank will want as short a closing a possible, likely within 30 days of their acceptance, and charge a penalty for delays.
If I decided to back out of the deal, that willl put them out longer. Isn't it wise for them to accept the delay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate