U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,842,430 times

Advertisements

Realtors, would you please provide some feedback on this website post:

The New Year’s Guide of 10 Key Charts To See Before You Buy A Home « NewObservations.net

"Michael David White has seventeen years in real estate as both lender and owner. He has purchased and sold more than 275 properties for his own account. Mr. White, the CEO of The New Mortgage Company, originates residential mortgages from his office in Chicago’s Loop financial district. He has advised hundreds of borrowers on both their mortgage and real estate investments.

His blog, NewObservations.net, contributes to Implode and Patrick, leading mortgage industry web sites, and Seeking Alpha, a Forbes “best-of-the-web” financial website. Mr. White is the author of Plan Orange -- a plan to end the financial crisis."

My take is that I shouldn't buy before 2012 AT LEAST.

Would you say, if he is right, that waiting a couple of years would be the best move???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 AM

6,958 posts, read 19,170,462 times
Well his comment that: "There’s no question that the local is much more important than the national. Thanks for your comment. mdw"

What's your LOCAL real estate market been like? What is it doing now? and where to the locals think it will go?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 AM

32,369 posts, read 59,807,408 times
I'm not a realtor, but I'd say that some people are really over-thinking the home-buying process.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,555,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not a realtor, but I'd say that some people are really over-thinking the home-buying process.
I agree.

I am more active in stocks than real estate but I see some similarities. Especially the last year, there hardly is a news report that doesn't come out and say the analysts were wrong. Like "unemployment rose more than expected" or same store sales reached an unexpected high". This has been going on for a solid year. When will the financial analysts just say, "we have no idea what we are talking about"?

And you want to talk about charts and graphs?? The stock world has the real estate world beat in spades. When it doesn't accurately forecast direction, the analysts come up with another set of rules and another name for the new pattern and off they go.

All of that was to say, yeah the charts give some information but I wouldn't bet the farm on them.

Last edited by DowntownVentura; 01-14-2010 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM

472 posts, read 747,315 times
Quote:
I agree. I mean, when real estate was going up, up, up everybody was buying up homes without a second thought.

Now that prices have come down, all of a sudden it's not such a good idea anymore?

I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm all about a sale. The mentality leaves one scratching their heads. If your looking to buy a house to make a profit, then you're a speculator.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 PM

532 posts, read 1,451,539 times
Quote:
I'll be the odd one and disagree. I've been taking a long thoughtful time to buy a house and I suppose one could find fault with me and say I am analyzing too much or I am a fence sitter or it's getting boring, but every time I've decided to say no to a particular deal, time has shown my decision to be the right as formally okay neighborhoods continue to decline and prices continue to fall.

Prices declined a lot during the time I've been looking (like 35%). (This is since summer 2008) I'm glad I analyzed and waited. 35% is a lot.

By the way, the comments to that link seemed kind of artificial. They all had the same tone and reiterated the points in the main article. I wonder if that guy write them all himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or