Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:10 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,829 times

Advertisements

We had the kitchen painted right before we moved out to a light color. I wonder about painting the cabinets?

In New England the vast majority of homes are heated by oil. We are enjoying NM -- we heated the house for December for $70 -- gas right to the house, gotta love it. I won't even tell you what we paid every month for our house on the Maine coast for heat -- 3200 sq feet, poorly insulated -- but it was staggering. We sell that house next. Or TRY to anyway. Should be fun. NOT.

OK, this is the fun part -- what colors do you suggest for the walls?

Last edited by lawmom; 01-14-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: typo and added a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 05:05 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
I actually LOVE your house - and don't think the photos are THAT bad.

I do think neutral walls would work best - and I'm always a fan of light beige. (Think coffee with a lot of milk!)

For the rooms to be lit correctly because of all the dark wood, you really do need an exterior flash ... but you can brighten it up with minimal photo editing skills and about 45 seconds worth of work.

Last edited by Chuckity; 03-22-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 05:06 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
Walls...I like the following neutral colors:
Powell Buff (SW or BM...can't remember which brand-one of these)
Shaker Beige (again one of those brands)
Blonde (SW. This is a bolder color but still neutral)
I have a nice green but can't remember the name...It's Rosemary or Spring Hill or something like that.
I can't imagine heating costs. I am in VA and we pay $180 a month in the winter and I think that's bad, lol!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:07 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Walls...I like the following neutral colors:
Powell Buff (SW or BM...can't remember which brand-one of these)
Shaker Beige (again one of those brands)
Blonde (SW. This is a bolder color but still neutral)
I have a nice green but can't remember the name...It's Rosemary or Spring Hill or something like that.
I can't imagine heating costs. I am in VA and we pay $180 a month in the winter and I think that's bad, lol!
Shaker Beige is Benjamin Moore ... I second that.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks!

Our agent, it turns out, has a designation in staging -- gee, you would think she would have mentioned something before I brought it up. She's had this listing going on 18 months.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
See...to me that is disappointing. If I were her, one of my marketing points would be that "I have a designation in staging and if you list with me I will give you one free hour of advice on colors and how to declutter your home" or something like that. Geez...what's with her not telling you? (Maybe she isn't very good at it?)

Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 PM

Well, she's not very good at taking pictures, lol. She did tell us weshould have the house heated this winter -- we had heated it the first winter but the pipes burst, then we rented it our for a year, then last winter the heat was off and the water turned off. She said it's better for the woodwork to keep it on, but it ain't cheap. That and a few minor things is the only advice she's given really, other than to lower the price once -- the other reductions we suggested.

I think our contract is up in April, and we will have to go with someone else.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Well, she's not very good at taking pictures, lol. She did tell us weshould have the house heated this winter -- we had heated it the first winter but the pipes burst, then we rented it our for a year, then last winter the heat was off and the water turned off. She said it's better for the woodwork to keep it on, but it ain't cheap. That and a few minor things is the only advice she's given really, other than to lower the price once -- the other reductions we suggested.

I think our contract is up in April, and we will have to go with someone else.
You're smart to know NOT to paint the woodwork!! That would be a BIG mistake!!

As far as colors, DO NOT pick a beige that resembles dirt. Some of them can be far too muddy, and will just add to the "doom and gloom."

Your agent is inept! But, at this point has invested a lot of marketing dollars, so it would be cruel to cut and run. I would have done that a year ago!!!!!!!! Live and learn. And yes, I was an agent once-upon-a-time.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Chuckity -- thanks for the pics. I showed to DH and he can do that, so I asked the agent to email the pics to him.

Pickle -- so you think it's too cruel to not renew the contract with her?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Location, high property taxes relative to the area and high heating bills likely combine to make other housing alternatives more appealing to ready, willing and able buyers.

Only one thing can compensate and it's not the wallpaper.

As an aside, your home would likely sell for 3x as much in my area. Maybe you need to find someone from Chicago to buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate