Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Never thought about sloped driveways being a problem, or shared walls, or houses without AC. Kind of interesting how some of the deal breakers seem to be influenced by what part of the country you're in.
But then again I once lived in area where it was fairly common to have the laundry hookups in the kitchen. I have never lived anywhere else where that seemed to be common, and if I ever came across it again it would definitely be a dealbreaker. I hated it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 12:55 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Never thought about sloped driveways being a problem, or shared walls, or houses without AC. Kind of interesting how some of the deal breakers seem to be influenced by what part of the country you're in.
But then again I once lived in area where it was fairly common to have the laundry hookups in the kitchen. I have never lived anywhere else where that seemed to be common, and if I ever came across it again it would definitely be a dealbreaker. I hated it!
Exactly. A LOT of deal breakers are regional. I would not buy a home where I am in the south without an air conditioner - but my sister in upstate New York has no air conditioner because it never gets hot enough where she is to really need one.

People on this thread are talking down slab homes, but if you lived in certain states in the south and were foolish enough to have crawl space you'd regret it for sure.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Which states would those be and why, lovesMountains?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Which states would those be and why, lovesMountains?
one word - MOLD. Certain places like Louisiana and even here where I am in North Carolina, crawl spaces are just riskier for it because of the type of soil, the humidity and the lay of the land.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Ah. We've actually had water come up underneath the house from the creek (100 year flood - well, actually, more like a 500 year flood), but that's alternated with drought so we don't have that problem.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Ah. We've actually had water come up underneath the house from the creek (100 year flood - well, actually, more like a 500 year flood), but that's alternated with drought so we don't have that problem.
I hear ya! In Lousiana they'll build on stilts before they build on a crawl space though. If the ground isn't good enough for a slab they know they'll likely need those stilts, lol!!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:08 PM

56 posts, read 219,483 times
I thought I had found the one true deal breaker - power lines and tower closeby. But then one buyer said "good, that means they won't be building over there" (across the road). A stream on the property is sweet to many, but a big no-no to some who fear flooding, and that their small kids will fall in. Same in rural areas that have a pond on the property. On and on...luckily it is this way, that is what makes the world go round.
But, around here (cental Ohio) the most common dealbreakers:
-Busy street or road with massive trailer trucks.
-Next door or across the street from a very trashed property
-Railroad track closeby, or in the path of incoming/outgoing flights at airport.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,852 times
Personally I think anything is workable for the right price.

So many things can be changed and the things that can't, you can likely live with if the price as right...or at least I can.

For me I compare and ask if the traits of the "perfect house" are worth $xx,xxx, because that is what I will be saving going with the not so perfect house. But I am a cheapskate/bargain hunter, so it makes a difference.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I'm pretty picky about location where I'll buy. Dealbreakers for me are:

On or next to a main road
Within hearing distance of a highway
Directly adjacent to commercial property
Substandard schools or municipal services
Transient population in area
Property too hilly
Property too small

Old 01-17-2010, 11:18 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,334 times
Dealbreakers:

Noisy road, train tracks or other nearby.
Too close to neighbors' houses. (We shouldn't be able to make eye contact from our windows.)
No sidewalk for my kid to walk or ride a bike on.
No basement (need one when the tornado siren goes off).
Aluminum, vinyl or asbestos siding.
Vaulted, cathedral or "soaring" ceilings.
Massive windows (beautiful, but that's a heck of an A/C and heating bill).
No tub in the master bath.
Small kitchen.
Credit bubble pricing.
McMansion next door.
No mature trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate