U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,145 posts, read 3,210,380 times

Advertisements

HELLO EVERYONE!

I have seen several houses for sale, that have in the FEATURE area ASBESTOS???

I would NOT think that this is a feature....right?

This is harmful to our health,right???

If a house has ASBESTOS, is there a way to take it off,get it out?
Is it EXPENSIVE to do?
Please explain in detail whatever you know about this, I HAVE NO IDEA....

THANK YOU!
COUNTRYLV22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 10:08 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,706,463 times
Ok, in the MLS there will be are places that must be completed, one of those blanks is what the outside of the house is: vinyl, brick, hardiplank, etc. One type of outside siding is asbestos. It was used primarily in 70's. You have probably seen and been around asbestos siding and never knew that is what it was.

It is fine as long as you aren't tearing it up. Asbestos becomes a problem when you start tearing it out and it is no longer in it's original form, but becomes airborne and you breathe it in.

And it isn't removed when you put vinyl siding on an older home. you leave it alone and just put the new siding on over it. In fact, you generally don't want to remove it as long as it is in it's original hard siding form. If you start "tearing" it out, it can become friable (airborne) and that is the problem.

I wouldn't be concerned about asbestos siding, except do you like the looks of it or not. and if you don't you can always get vinyl or hardiplank or something else to cover it.

Shelly

Old 05-26-2007, 07:59 AM

137 posts, read 593,570 times
We (seller) were about to exchange contracts on our house when the (buyers) bank surveyor found suspect materials and recommended a full house asbestos survey. They did find some and this is pretty much what the quote to remove said: (mind you we are in England, the original part of the house is over 80 years old, add ons in later years, but I would think the removal process would be about the same in the States) AND what shellytc said is exactly what the surveyor said, also.....if it isn't damaged don't disturb it, sealing it up is sometimes a better option. (Some of ours was damaged so it has to come out)

SCOPE OF WORK
Removal of visible asbestos pipe lagging to eaves on second floor.
Removal of asbestos ceilings to boiler room, boiler lobby & under stair cupboard.
Remove asbestos debris from trench in boiler room.
Encapsulate & label asbestos panels to sauna room.

METHODS OF REMOVAL

A sealed working enclosure will be constructed using heavy duty polythene sheeting, sealed with PVC or foil adhesive tape and supported on timber or metal studworks as necessary.

The enclosure will be maintained under negative pressure by means of a high efficiency vacuum or extraction unit and will be accessed by an airlock system.

Following an inspection of the enclosure, the asbestos materials will be removed under fully controlled conditions and double sealed in red and clear polythene bags, which will be transported to a licensed toxic waste site for disposal.

On completion of removal, the enclosure area will be thoroughly decontaminated using a high effeciency vacuum.

An independent analytical agency will then carry out a thorough visual inspection and clearance air testing prior to issuing a Cerificate of Reoccupation.

They also have to have a portable shower.....

And this doesn't cover a lot of area, just small bits here and there.

I have no idea what this would cost in the States to remove, but here it is about $8000.00.

This is only my experience, hope it helps a little.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,145 posts, read 3,210,380 times
Thumbs up Hello Shelleytc! & Thank You!

HELLO SHELLEYTC!
THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE & HELP!

I was a bit concerned for health reasons, as well as the fact that I noticed that if there are two identical houses, and one has listed ASBESTOS, it seems that the one with ASBESTOS is a bit cheaper...
Anyway, thanks a million for your help!
COUNTRYLV22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Ok, in the MLS there will be are places that must be completed, one of those blanks is what the outside of the house is: vinyl, brick, hardiplank, etc. One type of outside siding is asbestos. It was used primarily in 70's. You have probably seen and been around asbestos siding and never knew that is what it was.

It is fine as long as you aren't tearing it up. Asbestos becomes a problem when you start tearing it out and it is no longer in it's original form, but becomes airborne and you breathe it in.

And it isn't removed when you put vinyl siding on an older home. you leave it alone and just put the new siding on over it. In fact, you generally don't want to remove it as long as it is in it's original hard siding form. If you start "tearing" it out, it can become friable (airborne) and that is the problem.

I wouldn't be concerned about asbestos siding, except do you like the looks of it or not. and if you don't you can always get vinyl or hardiplank or something else to cover it.

Shelly

Old 05-29-2007, 08:09 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,706,463 times
countrylv22, if I were you I would plan to see both houses. Look at the siding of both and compare. You can ask your agent about it. but even if the one that doesn't say asbestos siding may have asbestos under vinyl. You can always put siding on as well. Good Luck on your home purchase.

Shelly

Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM

94 posts, read 219,800 times
It is tricky with asbestos. We have a house built in 1929 here in FL. Asbestos was heavily used in the roofing. The original roofing is still on the house as well as our neighbors. The inspector told us when we bought it that we really didn't need to mess with it. It was all still in good shape and he said it would probably e the last thing standing on the house. The only concern would be if you cracks or breakage. We are selling our home and it was declared in the papers as law states. It os my understanding that it can be costly to remove it. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 12,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
HELLO EVERYONE!

Is it EXPENSIVE to do?

THANK YOU!
COUNTRYLV22
Yes there's a way to remove it in some cases it can be expensive but it all depends on how much is in the house and what condition it is in but in most cases it can be removed by a certified asbestos contractor.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 12,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadman45 View Post
Yes there's a way to remove it in some cases it can be expensive but it all depends on how much is in the house and what condition it is in but in most cases it can be removed by a certified asbestos contractor.
[quote=countrylv22;770971]HELLO EVERYONE!

Is it EXPENSIVE to do?

THANK YOU!
COUNTRYLV22 Yes it is veryharmful to our health it causes cancer. Yes it can be removed but only by a certified asbesto abatement contractor. If someone that is not certified removes it they can be aressted for illegal abatement of asbestos if you need to talk to a certified abatement contractor. Here's a contractor Air Quality Group 5215 North Broad St Philadelphia Pa. 19141 Office 2154553663 I hope that this helps

Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM

3,700 posts, read 11,280,784 times
There are actually several types of Asbestos. One of the most common kinds is worn by folks everyday as jewelry...I'll leave you guessing on that one (you can google crocidolite for an answer). The one used in building materials is a form called chrysotile asbestos. The EPA has two categories for asbestos: Friable and Non-friable. The friable kinds of asbestos is what is found in insulation, pipe coverings, etc. The non-friable asbestos has been stabilized to a certain extent in a substrate like concrete. These materials include: roofing shingles, floor tiles, siding, transite piping, some plasters (ceiling finishes of the 70's), etc. Non-friable asbestos can become friable if damaged. Asbestos in NOT considered a hazardous material by the EPA but IS a regulated material. Different states will have different laws concerning the removal and disposal of asbestos containing materials and those laws may differ based on the type of asbestos described above and whether the structure is a public building or a private residence. You should check your state's laws regarding this issue. As for the safety in a home, I would recommend the removal of any friable asbestos as well as any plasters containing asbestos and a check for damage to any non-friable asbestos. If there is no damage to the non-friable asbestos, it is better left as is until such a time as you feel like redecorating in the case of flooring or renovating in the case of siding, roofing, or piping (most homes do not have transite piping though it may have been used in sewer lines). Asbestos siding is actually a good and very durable product but may be encapsulated by vinyl siding or other available options if you choose.

A good resource to answer your questions can be found here: http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate