U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 AM

181 posts, read 698,380 times

Advertisements

Are you happy with your decision? Regrets? Are there benefits to getting a 2 story vs. a one story house?

We have found a great (What our realtor calls "highly desirable")neighborhood... There are 4 houses for sale right now: 1 is too small, one is a maybe (but I am just not in love with the house), 1 is a short sale/foreclosure, and 1 is just awesome. It has so many of the features we are looking for and more. They have taken care of the home, they had professionals do the work, and it shows. The only thing is- it is a 2 story. This whole time looking we've wanted to go with a one or 1-1/2 story. This is throwing me for a loop.

The rental we are in right now is tiny and a 2 story and I do hate those stairs. It feels like extra effort to get something- when you are downstairs you want something upstairs and vice versa. I do need the exercise but basically, I am lazy. I admit it.

My DH "doesn't mind" a 2 story.

Are they safer (a burgular would need a very long ladder to get in one of my kiddo's window's) or not (what if there is a fire?!)

Can anyone chime in on their experience, or REO's on if 2 stories are typically harder or easier to sell than a one story house?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 AM

472 posts, read 683,148 times
I will never again buy another two story house. A nightmare it was trying to sell our last home which was 2 story...eek.

I'm sure that's a local thing, but even here where we moved (2 hours away), one story homes seem to move faster...

Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,991,107 times
I've been thinking about this same issue lately. There are quite a few very inexpensive short sale properties where we hope to move in FL but many of them are 2 story. I know for a fact that the construction is questionable in some of these. They build the bottom floor walls out of concrete block but then the top floor is just wood frame with cheap siding. I think 2 story also allows the builder to squeeze more homes on the acreage because they are building up, not out.

I have never lived in a two-story home but my husband has. He says we should not get one and I tend to agree. I think we have just about ruled it out. The only plus I can think of with the 2-story is the fact that the bedrooms are far away from the TV watching area, so the sleeping area would be quieter. (a big deal for me) I also thought about my morning routine and a two-story would be a big hassle. Here is what I would do: (1) get up, go downstairs, let dogs out (2) go back up stairs and take shower (3) go back downstairs and eat breakfast/ watch morning news (4) go back upstairs and do hair/makeup/ get dressed (5) go back downstairs and leave for work. Whew! This is a also without factoring in the 2 year old and 4 year old boys that I have. I think 2-story is definately out for us!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 AM

339 posts, read 1,291,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by did0c View Post
Are they safer (a burgular would need a very long ladder to get in one of my kiddo's window's) or not
Well to address this small part of your question, 2-story homes are not necessarily any more safer from burglaries. In areas around here people have tried to save money on home alarm systems by only securing the first floor. So now there are thieves that specialize in second floor burglaries.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,973,814 times
We really only look at two story homes, as we like to separate the sleeping areas from the living areas. I think it is better for noise and privacy, and it also offers a better vantage when looking out the window (kids in yard, who is in driveway, snow on streets, etc) . All little things, I guess, but I am more of a fan of two-stories. Also, two stories are common in my area.

I guess I have never thought of walking up/down a flight of stairs as a hassle...although i am one of those people that don't drive around to find a close parking spot, I would rather take a few more steps. I don't know, maybe I am a little more active than the average American.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM

389 posts, read 1,354,944 times
I won't buy another two-story. Unfortunately 2-story McMansions are common in my area. An agent I talked to said single stories tend to sell faster. I do enjoy the privacy of being able to get away to an upstairs room, but the stairs, the hassle of overflowing rain gutters on the second story, Christmas lights, the two years of carrying our elderly dog up and down the stairs... no more two-story. The one single story we lived in had the kitchen and living areas on one side and the bedrooms on the other, we allowed for some privacy and was ideal. I'm hoping to find that sort of layout again.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM

432 posts, read 2,813,386 times
When I was looking to buy a house I had a strong preferance for 2 story. In the end I bought a 1 story, and am incredibly happy that I went this route. I was able to get 10 foot ceilings (vs 8 or 9 foot with 2 story), no stairs to waste energy and square footage on, and everything just feels bigger and more spread out.

If i ever buy another house in the future, it will be either 1 or 1.5 story.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM

36,975 posts, read 28,063,365 times
Housing style preference is very much a regional thing. Warmer climates trend towards single story while colder climate trend towards 2 stories.

In my own cold climate area, the demand for single versus two story is balancing, as the populatiojn ages.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:26 PM

6,613 posts, read 14,062,148 times
I grew up in a two story home in an area where 2 stories were preferred to ranches, and I still generally prefer two stories for all that we ended up with a single level house.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:30 PM

36,975 posts, read 28,063,365 times
I am another who would not consider a single story home.

Yet, that was all that was left on the market in decent shape at a good price, back in 2002 when I relocated in and had to buy something and get my child in school- chop chop. Fast forward several years, single story homes sell faster than their two story counterparts.

Count me as another who, after living in a single story home with a full basement, is unlikely to go back to 2 story living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate