Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM

301 posts, read 1,435,523 times

Advertisements

Yes, we were very pleased with the walk-through, since it went exactly as we had been hoping it would (before our agent nearly sabotaged it)... when all was said and done, our agent said that we had gotten "extremely
lucky" with these sellers, and that she had never met any that nice before. I don't believe her--either that, or she's turned nice sellers against her because of her mistakes and attitude in the past, I don't know. Eh, whatever, in the end we fought for what we wanted and we're very happy with the fruits of those efforts. Keys will be ours in less than 96 hours!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:24 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan View Post
Eh, whatever, in the end we fought for what we wanted and we're very happy with the fruits of those efforts. Keys will be ours in less than 96 hours!!
Exactly. And now you can relax. You aren't going to be a first time homebuyer next time. Enjoy, let bygones be bygones, it's over, finito, look just to the future. This is going to be a blip on the screen.

YAY!!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
A couple of weeks ago I went onto one of my client's Facebook page to congratulate her on their first anniversary in their new home. I was the second, the first was the former owner, they are Facebook friends. Most closings are very happy events, a passing of the torch as you mentioned.

I bought my very first house when I was a young and single from a another single woman. (It was the cutest little house -- 727 sq ft for $45000!). I sold it to another single woman who had just completed a divorce. There was something really neat about passing the torch to another single woman for that neat little house.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
congrats!
happy that everything worked out , I now understand that you were not wavering ,I interperted some of
your words that way.
Seems like your agent did not want you to have a walk thru due to her opening
her mouth to the sellers.

for all the reasons stated in prior posts a walk thru is very important and we have always done one about two hours before closing .
wish our sellers
had left an instruction package , would have been a big help on our well and sprinkler system.

wishing all the happiness in your first house.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM

YAY!!!! We just signed for the house, here we go!!! Keys on Monday, cannot WAIT!!

Thank you for ALL your advice and good cheer--this week was unnecessarily stressful, but you folks helped us cope when there was no one else to go to. Big props to City-Data!!!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM

298 posts, read 998,546 times
When I was buying a house in NY, the sellers agent (estate sale-so the sons' were the sellers) told my agent that we could start moving our stuff into the house a week prior to closing since we were coming in from out of state and didn't have anywhere to store it. Then they called the day before and said that they changed their mind. I found out from a neighbor (a year later) that the house had a pretty bad flood and they were cleaning it up and didn't want us to see it and back out of the deal.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Just a little update here: so we got our keys on Monday, which was very excited and all, etc. We are generally quite happy about the house, and are slowly moving our stuff in each day.

However, as we walked into the dining room, we noticed right away that there were big, dark brown stains on the hardwood floor... right underneath where the dining room table and RUG had been, when we did the walk-through. Also, the entire area that the rug covered (about 5 x 7) was sticky... it looked clean, but when you walked over it in socks, it felt like a sticky movie-theater floor. They must have had some kind of rug adhesive underneath or something, I don't know, but the stickiness it takes up half of the dining room floor area.

I don't think the sellers knew about the stains under the dining table, and maybe they knew about the stickiness... in any case, it would have been nice for us to walk through a perfectly empty house to check everything visually before signing. This could not happen, even with a cooperative realtor (which we did not have), because we had to sign on a Friday morning in order to close on Monday.

WORD TO THE WISE: Do not close on a Monday!!! The sellers have the whole weekend to move, and you have to walk through and sign before they do that--so basically, you're stuck with whatever the boxes are hiding underneath. Grrrr. Just another thing to do when we move in. Of course, when we called the realtor to ask her opinion of this development, she said cheerily, "Oh, the sellers have been so nice to you all along, I think you shouldn't mention this to them and just clean it yourself." Thanks a lot! :P Sigh. Always something, I guess.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
so sorry ,
can it be buffed off? then quickly put another rug down to refinish when you get ready to sell.
we have always done the walk thru about 2 hours
before closing ,
again your realtor is very "special".

Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 PM

Thanks... we are a little irritated right now, but what can you do. Not that it's a huge deal in a 90 year old house where there are plenty of things that need to be fixed/improved, but it's terribly inconvenient being in the middle of the heaviest-traffic area of the house and we won't have a rug to put down for several months, at least.

We are going to try some wood-cleaning solutions on it in the next couple of days to try and get that off... hopefully it is not some permanent adhesive. I mean, we do intend to cover it eventually with our own rug, but would hate knowing that the floor was all sticky underneath the whole time... it just feels gross to me.

We would have liked to do our walk-through immediately before closing, but no, that would have been over the top for my realtor after we already "forced" her to do a walk-through. Sheesh!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,679 times
When we sold our home in FL, we were all moved out the night before closing. My husband stayed there until 1AM cleaning it up and then came to the motel where I was with our 1 month old baby.

The buyers walked through the next morning on the way to the closing.

Always do a walkthrough! When we bought this house out of state, we did NOT get to do a walkthrough. Surprise... when we got here, the seller had done damage to the place when she was moving her stuff out. She dinged the hallway walls with her furniture (dents and paint missing) and she gouged the hardwood floors (major) when she moved her armoire out of the family room (looks like she scooted it in a zig zag fashion. So we are stuck with a deep gouge in the floor. She also left a LOT of stuff "for us". We ended up having to fill the back of my husband's truck with debris and haul it to the dump. (ie the broken outside swing that she just left hanging there)

Never again! We will definately have a walk through next time! I also feel that our buyers agent here should have offered to do a walk through for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate