Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM

10 posts, read 27,815 times

Advertisements

I bought a home about three years ago. Since closing I have had no interaction with the HOA, they havn't sent me the rules and regulations, given me contact info or even asked me to pay my last two years of Dues (which is only $50/year) But i'm curious as to where my initial dues (as reflected on my settlement statement) went. Any advice as to what i can do would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by tlacefield; 10-02-2009 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 PM

6,419 posts, read 9,733,609 times
Ask your neighbors what they are doing and what they have heard!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:47 PM

I have, and none of them have paperwork either. I seem to be the only one in my neighborhood who is interested in finding my money. If we have a HOA i would like to get it started up for the benefit of my neighborhood, however if there was never one, I wan't my money back.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,965,392 times
Same thing happened to us. Lived there two years all the neighbors told us the HOA was defunct. In the third year after we had moved and leased it to tenants we get a letter asking for dues. Then we got another stated they were trying to raise the dues. We paid up (only $140 a year) and the increase got voted down. Still don't know how folks who's elected term is over would have the authority to collect the dues. There had not been an election since we moved in.

We never got regulations or minutes either even after asking for them. We did find the covenants.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,514,305 times
By law they should have sent you a re-sale packet that included if the dues were up to date from the previous owner (assuming you did not build a new house) the rules and regulations and the by laws. If you went through a real estate agent, there is specified time period, in most 15 days to comply with the request. Whatever you do, put something in writing and keep a paper trail. Most HOA think they are above the law. If you have a problem and are not getting what you need report it to the Attorney General in your state. AG's govern HOA's.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,965,392 times
No law like that in NC. Wish there was.

Even as a Realtor it is very difficult to get that info or even find out who is in charge of a HOA. Covenants are posted on the Registar of Deeds website so that is easy.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM

thanks for all the help, I will look into the above mentioned

Old 10-02-2009, 03:30 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,369,372 times
In Idaho, the title companies keep a database of who is the contact person for each local HOA. Might try calling the customer service department the title company where you closed.

If you can find a name, call them and ask if they are still on the board. If they are, ask who is the treasurer. Contact that person with a request for a financial statement. They have to provide them to homeowners both at annual meetings and on request if they are charging dues. You paid some dues, so I would say you have a right to them, but they may charge you the last two years when you contact them.

As for communication, it is possible they are communicating via mass email and you aren't on the list. That's how my mom's HOA does things. They send out a monthly newsletter and most notices via email.

Question, do you live in the house or is it a rental? We had a situation like this and then found out that communication and bills were all going to the house, and the tenants were discarding them, or sending them back "not at this address".

Old 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM

Question, do you live in the house or is it a rental? We had a situation like this and then found out that communication and bills were all going to the house, and the tenants were discarding them, or sending them back "not at this address".[/quote]

I live at the house. From what I have heard from nighbors, the only time anyone has had to pay dues is at closing. I will contact the Title company.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,369,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlacefield View Post

I live at the house. From what I have heard from nighbors, the only time anyone has had to pay dues is at closing. I will contact the Title company.
Well if that's true, that sounds like they are charging only a transfer fee, rather than dues. You might want to double check on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate