Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM

125 posts, read 738,595 times

Advertisements

So here I am in Ohio. I've had my house listed since March with a discount realty company; I pay a flat fee for marketing - if a buyer is represented by a realtor I pay a 4% commission - if an unrepresented buyer purchases the home I only pay the flat fee - no commission.

About 2 weeks ago I asked for a new agent within the same company - I was not pleased with my agent and what little she was doing; I understand I went with a "discount" company, but my 1,000 should have been paying for more in my opinion.

So I got a new agent; and one of the things she wanted to do is list the house in the MLS as agents who wanted to see the house to call her and set up the appointment - until this point if the realtor wanted to show it, they had to contact me via a voicemail box set up by this real estate company I went with. Didn't know it was an option.... agent # 1 never told me that.

So from March until 2 weeks ago I had 4 realtors come through. In the last 2 weeks with my new agent taking the phone calls from the other realtors I have had 4 showings!!! In 2 weeks!

Coincidence? I think not. My lesson.... speak up about what you want; the worst anyone can say is no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 10:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Let us be clear about all this. It is quite possible to sell your own home. It is also possible to sell your home using a discount broker. For some these may well be the best route.

The rule though is that you must understand what you are doing and how it works in a reasonable level of detail. That is you understand what the discount broker is, or is not, doing.

You don't..and should consider a full service broker.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:19 AM

Default But I do

I do NOW understand; and do agree that houses sell by FSBO and by discount brokers; I'm praying mine does as well, and certainly understand the market well enough that I'm not blaming my discount broker for my house not selling. I'm merely stating that the old urban legends out there about realtors NOT wanting to deal with homeowners directly, and would rather deal with other realtors is alive and well in my opinion. When I tried to get feedback from the realtors that showed my home I got very few - but did get some. All 3 showings last week left feedback with my agent.

I did not intend this by any means to be a realtor bashing thread. I don't have a bad opinion of them; this is the first time I've even sold a home - my only observation is that again, Realtors will deal better and closer with other Realtors, and not so much directly with the homeowner.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 AM

179 posts, read 784,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12paws42 View Post
So here I am in Ohio. I've had my house listed since March with a discount realty company; I pay a flat fee for marketing - if a buyer is represented by a realtor I pay a 4% commission - if an unrepresented buyer purchases the home I only pay the flat fee - no commission.

About 2 weeks ago I asked for a new agent within the same company - I was not pleased with my agent and what little she was doing; I understand I went with a "discount" company, but my 1,000 should have been paying for more in my opinion.

So I got a new agent; and one of the things she wanted to do is list the house in the MLS as agents who wanted to see the house to call her and set up the appointment - until this point if the realtor wanted to show it, they had to contact me via a voicemail box set up by this real estate company I went with. Didn't know it was an option.... agent # 1 never told me that.

So from March until 2 weeks ago I had 4 realtors come through. In the last 2 weeks with my new agent taking the phone calls from the other realtors I have had 4 showings!!! In 2 weeks!

Coincidence? I think not. My lesson.... speak up about what you want; the worst anyone can say is no
Did you pay $1,000 to someone to market your home and it wasn't in mls? Was you home only listed on their website? How would agents know it is for sale if it wasn't in mls? Did you pay or agree to pay more money when your home was listed in mls? Just curious and a little confused too.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12paws42 View Post
:So I got a new agent; and one of the things she wanted to do is list the house in the MLS as agents who wanted to see the house to call her and set up the appointment - until this point if the realtor wanted to show it, they had to contact me via a voicemail box set up by this real estate company I went with. Didn't know it was an option.... agent # 1 never told me that.
The fact that you didn't know it was an option, concerns me. In NJ, all realty services must be made available to all clients. I can't offer a seller home warranty to one seller and not to another seller. The same is true with mls - it's a service.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Mls

I paid 995.00 and house was put on MLS. The difference between agents, is the first agent posted on the MLS to contact the homeowner (me) if a realtor wanted to see it. The second agent posted on the MLS to contact her (my agent) if a realtor wanted to see the house. Since this was posted, I have had 4 showings in 10 days and all realtors showing the house have given feedback to my agent; My only opinion is that realtors seem work better with realtors; or are more comfortable working with realtors vs the homeowner directly. Had i had this insight going into the sale of my home, I would have chosen a full service company vs. a discounted company - at least with the market the way it is.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:27 PM

Now I get it. Sorry, I must have been a little sleepy this morning. In some parts of the country, showing agents make appointments with the home owner instead of going through the listing agent/agency. Personally, I don't care who I call and if it the instructions are to call a number, I call it. I would think any agent would do that. Your lack of showings, well, I think it's the market going back to normal. I hope you get an offer soon.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
Paws,I'm listing w/NextHome currently. Did you sell yet? Because it seems to me the contract, if you still have it the yellow copy just above the initialed part items numbered 1. and 2., says I owe them 4% anyway you slice it. Am I interpreting it wrong? I want to lease/option to my nephew ...no realtor involved just NH. Its just a little ambiguous. thanks for any clearing up.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey2nm View Post
Personally, I don't care who I call and if it the instructions are to call a number, I call it. I would think any agent would do that.
I would think so as well, I have no problem contacting anyone to show them a home any of my clients want to see. If I can't find something for them in the mls, I have been known to start going through fsbo and contacting the homeowner first to see if they would work with me, every time I did they said yes with the exception of 1 !

Old 01-18-2009, 05:23 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Only 4 showings since March.
Did you think that the price may have been too high?

Is it also possible that showing are picking up in the area?

I have a listing that had 3 showings total in Nov. and Dec., since the first of the year I have had 10 showings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate