Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB2003 View Post
I just really feel for that kind of money I should be getting a decent master bath.
What are you basing this on? It appears after looking at that many houses that your "feeling" may not be accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 01:30 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Bing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
On older houses you may not find what you are looking for. They just didn't build homes with the features people feel are important today such as larger closets and open kitchens.

You might need to only look for homes that have been remodeled or adjust your expectations. The house you seek may not exist in your price range and the area you desire. After looking at 50 homes, I would suspect this would be the case.
That is the situation that I have encountered many times with buyers. They often want "the old house charm" or "commuting suburb closeness" but when it comes to some of the features you see in new homes it is impossible to fit "30 pound of 'taters in a 10 pound sack". Even rather high end homes built prior to the 70s have TINY master baths if they have 'em at all.

To put any kind of countertops in that sort of bathroom is going to be a mess...

Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
I can honestly say the bathroom in the photo is much more spacious than what I am finding, but the best comparison on general layout. I would be ecstatic to find one that size. But you honestly think something smaller than this is average?
Yes something like that is very average. I have seen larger hall baths on homes of that size, but the masters tend to be smaller...unless it is new construction. Many of the older homes with masters don't even have a tub.

Quote:
I just really feel for that kind of money I should be getting a decent master bath.
And this is the crux of your problem house hunting. So...now that you found a vanity that will meet your needs, go back to some of the houses that had other good qualities, bring your tape measure and make sure it will fit.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That is the situation that I have encountered many times with buyers. They often want "the old house charm" or "commuting suburb closeness" but when it comes to some of the features you see in new homes it is impossible to fit "30 pound of 'taters in a 10 pound sack". Even rather high end homes built prior to the 70s have TINY master baths if they have 'em at all....
I smile when couples look at the homes from the 50's, 60's and back. They always have such charm but the Master bedroom closets are about the size of todays small kitchen pantries. A good women today can't get her shoe collection in most of those closets.

People had much simpler needs back then.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:20 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,994 times
A good one cares about what you want. Wants to help and not putting their own needs above yours. Sincere, detail orientated and knows what they're doing.

Sounds like it's going to be hard to top your first one.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Pedestal sinks have no room, but I have never seen a vanity that small that you couldn't put things on it.

OP if you have never owned a place before, head down to Lowe's or Home Depot and take measurements of the size vanity that would meet your needs. Then when you go and see a place bring your measurements with you. What I find is that people often think things won't fit when they really will.

Shoot, I had a guy insist that a twin bed wouldn't fit in a 10x10 room so I brought my blue painter's tape and laid out the twin bed on the floor as well as a kids dresser, etc. Seeing the tape on the floor made him realize how off he was.

I think this is a great idea!

And I also have hung my hair dryer on a little hook in some of my living situations. We now live in a place with pedistal sinks and I keep my hair brushes and hair dryer in a pretty basket that fits on the toilet lid. It works just fine, but I do agree that I hope to have a bathroom with some storage in my future. Just for now we were happy to have 2 bathrooms of any kind with 3 kids in the house, haha!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM

22 posts, read 76,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What are you basing this on? It appears after looking at that many houses that your "feeling" may not be accurate.
Hi Manderly6 - I am basing my statement on the fact that I have seen homes that have very nice master bathrooms (huge ones in fact), but lack something else or are damaged, short-sale, poor location, bought up by an investor, too big, etc. I know there are homes out there and I'm just waiting for the right one since I'm not in a rush.

There are very nice homes at 2400+ sq ft in my price range with gorgeous bathrooms, but thats almost too much house for me. Heating is very expensive here and its not uncommon to pay $500/month for a 2500 sq ft home if it has poor windows, no energy efficient furnace, poor insulation or a combination these. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a nice ranch that is about 1600-2200 sq ft that meets my criteria. What would you recommend to me if I were your client? Do you typically see more homes in the springtime? I've been thinking about just stopping my search and waiting until May or so.

But back to my original statement for posting on here. A quick phone call could easily solve this problem and I'm even willing to just do it myself and call the listing agent. Is that appropriate for me to do as a buyer?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:

But back to my original statement for posting on here. A quick phone call could easily solve this problem and I'm even willing to just do it myself and call the listing agent. Is that appropriate for me to do as a buyer?

Yes you can call the listing agent and ask. My concern for you is that you are talking about a very normal bathroom and this being a deal breaker isn't a a common one. I would be really specific like "I want to know what size vanity is in the master bath."

Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 PM

22 posts, read 76,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yes you can call the listing agent and ask. My concern for you is that you are talking about a very normal bathroom and this being a deal breaker isn't a a common one. I would be really specific like "I want to know what size vanity is in the master bath."
Ok thanks for the input. I don't want to offend my realtor or step on her toes, but if it saves us both time then I am willing to just make the call myself.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks for the input. I don't want to offend my realtor or step on her toes, but if it saves us both time then I am willing to just make the call myself.

You know it's not my favorite thing as an agent, but I understand that some clients are really picky. Just talk with your agent first so she knows that you are calling around. She may want to take on that task for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate