Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The spammer who pulled the thread back up got tossed, and that makes it look like keeshonder is the necro-poster...
We gotta' make sure to maintain all our good colleagues' credibility !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,455 times
The market now is a beauty contest and a price war. Make your home model home move in ready and underprice the market by about 10% and you will sell. This I know from personal experience. Have sold two of my own properties and purchased one since the end of October 2010. Pricing is brutal, even for a realtor who has put many $$ in the home. You will not ever get out what you put in...accept that fact and then it will sell. It will not sell unless it is in the MLS....

Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnes View Post
We are debating whether to use a realtor or go FSBO to sell our house. It is a buyer's market here in Florida and it is saturated in our neighborhood - more than 40 houses for sale in a community of 500. On the upside, the price of housing here would appeal to first time buyers and is well below the median price for the county.

Even our realtor has noted that with sales prices falling and the sheer amount of inventory available, getting the right buyer may be hard.

I don't mind paying a commission, but I am wondering whether a realtor is really going to market any harder or more effectively than we could on our own? Obviously the MLS listing is not going to make much of a dent when there are listings upon listings in the same neighborhood and price range. We need some very specific marketing and networking, and perhaps luck.

Any feedback? Does it just depend on the realtor? I am assuming that unless someone falls from the sky into our laps, we will need to offer a commission to a buyer's agent anyway to get traffic, so we'd really just be saving 3% on our realtor.

Also, for a FSBO question, I have small kids, and am curious as to how much of a hassle FSBO would be versus using a realtor. Sometimes the hassle factor trumps the money. I've heard that you should always have two adults present for FSBO showings, for safety. This may be logistically difficult.

Thank you.

P.S. I should note we are in a townhouse community where the units are exactly alike. The only differences are interior renovations and perhaps some patio upgrades.
You'll have the same hassle factor when it comes to showings either way.

If you sell it yourself and a buyer's agent calls and wants to bring a buyer by tomorrow, you have to have the house looking like a magazine. You leave your key in the mailbox and leave so the buyer and their agent can walk through without feeling like a seller is there cramping the buyer's space.

If you have a listing agent, the only difference is the listing agent may call you and tell you someone wants to see the house but the listing agent generally, these days, does not show up to take the buyer and their agent through your house.

I've sold properties both ways and I think doing it yourself is preferable. These days you can get a low cost MLS package and get the same or better exposure on the internet such as realtor.com, MSN, Yahoo etc and through MLS that an agent would give you. All you need to do is get a good sign for the front of the house; get the house staged and do necessary updates, be ready to take the pictures, pay for the virtual tour, put professional literature together, maybe make a website for the house, pay for local advertising and write good advertsing copy and have a good attorney to review the offers and paperwork etc.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:24 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We gotta' make sure to maintain all our good colleagues' credibility !
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate