U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 AM

58 posts, read 20,580 times

Advertisements

People can't believe it when I say we've only had four showings in 10 months. Our house is priced with the comparables, spotless, updated, and in a good location. It's just that our state, county, town has really been hit hard by the recession! Can anyone feel my pain? Are you STUCK? What can I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 AM

567 posts, read 1,074,274 times
Does anyone feel "STUCK"?

YES!!!!

Mine is the same story as your, only a year ago.

Turns out we are not competing with everyone "selling" a house.

We are competing with everyone "LOSING" a house.

How can we compete with people and banks willing to take a loss?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:05 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,229,964 times
i can relate. We have a GREAT house, large, bright, completely updated, sitting on 3 acres in a parklike setting but only 5 minutes from the expressway and 20 minutes from downtown. Unfortunately we bought in 04, at the height of the housing boom and, the house needed significant renovation at the time so, we sunk another 100K into it and now we are stuck. Comparable houses in our area have been on the market for a year or more, priced well below what we can afford to sell for. The only alternative is to stay put and hope that in 3 - 5 years the market will rebound somewhat. Luckily we don't "have" to move, it's just that the upkeep of the property is more than we want to deal with as we are getting older but, I'll stay here until I retire if the market doesn't improve. I refuse to take a loss. I know the market will never return to what it once was but prices now are just ridiculously low; as long as there are so many foreclosures on the market and, so many unemployed I don't see any quick change in supply and demand.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM

4,069 posts, read 3,296,669 times
I guess that yes, we're feeling a little stuck.

My wife and I retired two years ago, and the original plan was to take a few months to relax as well as fix up the house a bit, then sell and move to a smaller house in a lower cost of living area.

That was about the time that the housing bubble was in full-bursting mode. There was NO way we were going to change our plans to retire. But fortunately, we planned ahead, and we're in a house we like and can afford, in an area we like (and like all the more now that we're retired and don't have to commute into DC every day) and can afford, and if we have to postpone our plans to relocate (to be closer to family), well, so be it.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM

6,196 posts, read 3,351,263 times
Same here, been on the market close to 2 yrs now...it stinks. Our area is all farms, no employment, little shopping available and 40 mins to major towns. Been under contract twice, both fell through at the last minute, only a hand full of showings since. Only 2 houses have sold since Oct. 09 so they are now my comps and are $31/sf higher than mine since I dropped the price again. I have a big house with land, barn and pool, clean inspection, new survey and incentives and still nothing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate