Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

This one has really bad vibes.

The seller is a long term RE Agent and would be presumed to know what they are doing.

So I will bet you they either have no E&O or it does not cover their transactions on their own property.

Next it is going to turn out they own nothing. And have no reachable assets.

Smells of deliberate fraud.

YOu need to get that Attorney cracking. And note he may need to be talking to the DA.

This one smells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 06:35 AM

225 posts, read 425,886 times
Yes, definitely bad vibes. And yes, I have talked to the attorney, supposed to meet again this weekend. Need to get the complaint filed ASAP. Not to sound stupid, but what is E&O? These people own a lot of properites. Then rent as well as sell. They are slumlords. There was a time back years and years ago when there was 10 houses for sale in the township; these people ended up with 9 out of 10 because they had inside info (friends witht the tax assessor or something). They just seem to be very sneaky and greedy. My deed says they paid $1.00 for the property and somewhere else says they paid $12,000 back in the 70's. Tax evasion purposes? These people are rotten and it needs to end....soon!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,400,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom119 View Post
Yes, definitely bad vibes. And yes, I have talked to the attorney, supposed to meet again this weekend. Need to get the complaint filed ASAP. Not to sound stupid, but what is E&O? These people own a lot of properites. Then rent as well as sell. They are slumlords. There was a time back years and years ago when there was 10 houses for sale in the township; these people ended up with 9 out of 10 because they had inside info (friends witht the tax assessor or something). They just seem to be very sneaky and greedy. My deed says they paid $1.00 for the property and somewhere else says they paid $12,000 back in the 70's. Tax evasion purposes? These people are rotten and it needs to end....soon!

Oh my!! ^^^ Did you know all this before you bought the house? I mean the above post, not about the condition of the residence.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 AM

No, unfortunately, knew NOTHING before. My BIGGEST mistake was NOT talking to the next door neighbor before I bought the house. I talked to the neighbors on one side, but not the other. The one I didn't talk to knew everything about that house. I will always talk to all of the neighbors next time when purchasing a house.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
It would seen that these people do have a greedy side. I wonder if it is strong enough that they might have made an insurance claim on this house for the problems you describe or something else that they failed to disclose to you... That would likely be enough for the DA to start after them - I have heard that insurance fraud is not something that the authorities tend to overlook. IF (?) you have a vendictive side and they own lots of properties - you could drive by and see what kind of code violations exist and report them (Yes I did exactly that - they were all in another county, which actually made him clean them up and license the vehicles)

I may have missed something - are you still living in the house ?
Can you go somewhere else temporarily ?
My next suggestion could backfire so I will wait on a response

Please DO talk to a lawyer before you do anything that could come back and bite you - I am plenty annoyed at this but I do not want to steer you into something that will cause you anymore consternation (sic) My thoughts are things that have popped into my head and need to be refined before (if at all) implemented... These A-wholes are very lucky that you are not my daughter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 AM

43 posts, read 158,559 times
Wait... why didnt you get an inspection before buying this house?? And I hope you will get you and your son in an alternate living situation ASAP before you have to take your son to the ER!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Treenoid, thank you for your thoughts. No, I am not currently in the house. As of 3-11-10 when the structural engineer, insurance adjustor, sewage professionals with the cameras, and township sewage foreman met at my house, they said to "Leave Now!" They all said how unhealthy and unsafe it was, as well as a fire hazard with the methane/sewage gases. So after that day, I felt homeless. My family stayed here and there for about 3 weeks, sleeping on floors, eating out (so expensive and unhealthy), but found an apartment to live in and call home for now. It is soooo hard to find a clean apartment sometimes....too many slumlords!! And I'm a very clean person that would never let my family live in some of the apartments we looked at.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagirl34 View Post
Wait... why didnt you get an inspection before buying this house?? And I hope you will get you and your son in an alternate living situation ASAP before you have to take your son to the ER!

You probably didn't get to read my original thread, but I DID have a home inspection, as well as a code enforecement inspection and because my loan was through USDA Rural Development they also came out and looked at the property. So bascially three inspection, all of which turned up nothing major. Just minor issues such as more insulation in attic, smoke detectors, covers over bare lightbulbs, etc.

Another major point I forgot to tell everyone is that even though I had all of these inspections, my hot water tank was vented in the attic!!! Not outside where the correct venting would go. So on top of all the other problems, this was overlooked by several inspectors, too. You can see that at one time the hot water tank WAS vented out the roof, but for some reason beyond me they changed it! So on top of all the other gas, we had carbon monoxide, too. We did have a carbon monoxide detector which never went off, so that was never an issue....yet.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,700 times
I am glad you are out and that all the folks that found the problems told you how unhealthy it was to live there - but did anyone from any gov't agency - health etc actually condemn the house and not permit anyone to live in it ?? If they did that you could stop paying your mortgage (if you still are). What are they gonna do - foreclose ?
As has been discussed in other threads - an inspection will not usually scope the sewer lines and ductwork, they only inspect what is visible and accessible. It is always fun to tear into something in a remodel and find what was done - or not done - my first house had the second floor held up in one area by a couple of 2x4s ???
Another thing that no one will tell a buyer about is dead trees (my first thread). I know that few people are certified arborists but when you buy the property you are getting all the liabilities that exist and dead trees can cost plenty to cut and remove. You should also look at the neighbors trees that are close enough to cause you problems and for pete's sake GET A SURVEY and have someone that knows what they are doing to look at it with your best interests at the forefront.
If these sellers are realtors - they knew what would be covered by an inspection even if they did not know the entire scope of the problem.. I may have missed it but - have you spoken to the renters that were in the house prior to you buying it??? I remember you mentioned the neighbor. Has anyone said that this is a common problem with houses that were built in this manner ? I am sure that there are a lot of slab built houses in Fla and other places, does this occur often or even often enough to be something a professional should have known about?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom119 View Post
Not to sound stupid, but what is E&O?
E&O = Errors and Omissions

Glad you have an attorney, go get them bad guys. Don't forget to file a complaint with your state's RE Board while you are at it. I seriously hope you can rescind this transaction somehow. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate