Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:42 AM

63 posts, read 136,321 times

Advertisements

So here's a happy thread in the real estate forum! I closed on a house yesterday - was a really nice experience and now I am getting ready to start the clean-up and moving in! Horay! First time home buyer - so this is all a really new experience for me. I had some questions for you fine folks about what I should be doing next because there's bound to be things I did not think of.

For example - I plan on changing the locks, raking/trimming the yard and giving the inside a good cleaning up. I believe my brothers have offered to help paint the insides saying that this is the best time to do so before anything else is moved in, so we'll get some new paint on the interior.

Next - I think I have to change my drivers license/insurance/etc etc all over to the new address. Do I have to visit a town hall or center to register to vote as well? Also - where do I pick up the trash removal days/regulations? Is there anything is that is commonplace for moving in that I should consider now?

Thanks in advance everyone - and I hope that if you're buying a home everything goes as well for you as it did for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 06:56 AM

41,927 posts, read 75,118,489 times
Ask your neighbors about the trash. You can vote absentee -- or go to your old voting place -- until you get around to changing your address there. Changing addresses would be my last priority at this point.

Invite your brothers and all your friends over. Buy pizza and beverages of your choice. Give them cleaning supplies and/or paint. Have fun. Save some of that friend and brother goodwill for moving in, and some landscaping work, too.

But other than washing the walls down before you paint, I'd clean after painting (except vital stuff ... like the bathroom ... ). Painting can be quite messy.

Congratulations, and good luck!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,571,844 times
Congratulations - did you switch over the utilities yet (gas,electric,water,garbage)? If you visit your city website you may find information about utility services and how to start them.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,976,938 times
Congratulations! I know how the feeling is, as I bought my home 8-1/2 months ago.

Yes, many municipals have the services listed out on their webpage, so there's a place to start. Some even allow you to start the service on the net, making it even easier.

As for what else to do before moving in ... if you're replacing any flooring, this is the time to do it when it's all empty. As for the locks ... look for ones that are bump proof and deadbolts that are ANSI grade 1 (commercial).

Old 04-16-2010, 09:05 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,457,968 times
In my area, the title company switches any city utilities (usually sewer, trash, sometimes water) over to the new owner, so you may or may not have to call those in. YOou would need to call any other utilities in to have them put in your name.

Hopefully the house wasn't vacant with no homeowner's exemption on it, because that would have had to have been filed by yesterday, but I assume your agent would have gotten you closed sooner if you needed to deal with that.

The only other thing I can think of would be to turn in a mail forwarding notice to the post office, and start changing your mailing address with everyone who sends you mail.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,657,381 times
Prepare to spend way more money than you planned. To avoid this, look at the funds you have and the projects you need to do. Prioritize them and work your way down the list as funds are available. Trying to do too much all at once will just leave you stressed and broke.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:03 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,965,702 times
Yea, I just finished up the last thing on my list...getting blinds after 4 months. I could have done it sooner but I wanted to span out my expenses. Painting your entire house is going to cost you alot more than you think. All depends on size and how tall your ceiling is, its not fun painting on a ladder after a while.

Cutting the grass should really be the LAST thing you need to worry about. That is something you can do on a boring Sunday. What you need to do is focus on the things which you need to do before all your belongings are in the home. Definitely change the locks. I' suggest the bumplock proof locks as well but quite honestly, I don't think that will deter a commited theft. Painting the walls should be priority #1 then any issues with the flooring #2. If need to replace the closet doors or have issues with the closets as a well, I'd do that next. My place looks completely different from just a few minor changes such as new carpet in the rooms, nice blinds, and fixing the closets. Spent about 2k doing that but in the long run when I sell it, I'll be making at least 6k on it!

Most first time buyers do not remain in the same home forever so fix it but I wouldn't go balls out. I didn't go balls out on everything since I'm planning on moving in 3-5 years.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,976,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I' suggest the bumplock proof locks as well but quite honestly, I don't think that will deter a commited theft.
Nothing will come in between a determined one, but locks like the Kwikset SmartKey series aren't that expensive and offers the added benefit of being able to easily rekey them.

Lock bumping has become the choice for many thieves because it's so easy and doesn't leave any clues behind.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:34 AM

93 posts, read 438,588 times
Change the toilet seats! LOL

Old 04-16-2010, 10:42 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,736,579 times
First you need to sit back drink in the moment of your new HOME and what you accomplished then enjoy your castle!!! Congrats and don't overwhelm yourself you have the rest of your life to get things done...just remember one thing ~one project always leads to another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate