Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:22 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Price is the ONLY way to really stand out. Bonuses, closing costs, etc., all fall a distant second to price.

Now, once you get into negotiations, if you get stuck on a price, THEN you can start offering things to make the deal happen. You and your agent just need to pay attention to the buyer though. Each buyer is different. While a generator may work for one buyer, the other may want a fridge or flooring allowance. There's no "one size fits all" in this.
That was my original intent of the question. Price is the starting point for a large ticket item like a house. But beyond that, sometime you need something else.

Advertising and contact beyond the broker is sometimes needed. I sold my rural western PA property myself, even though I paid the broker $6500. It was my continuous advertising on Craigslist that brought in the buyer. And it was my visiting the out of the area buyer at his house and going over every aspect of the property with him that sold the house.

Sometimes just leaving it in the hands of the Realtor isn't enough.

Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
A few people make the mistake of listing enticements in the original listing.

I read one where the person was " throwing in" a 1 year old off road 4-wheeler.

I don't know about other folks, but to me that said his house was overpriced and he really wanted to unload his 4-wheeler.

Listing price is the best incentive.
As other posters have stated,throwing in non-related extras should only be used farther into the negotiations. ( IMHO)

Most of those excessive throw ins ( not related to the actual house) seems to be more common amongst FSBO

Some think they are sooooo darn " creative" that their ads are actually stupid.
Buyers aren't that gullible !

Old 04-21-2010, 10:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

If the buyer needs to finance the purchase of property, both the seller and buyer usually need to agree that personal property has no value.

Gimicks are common in the sale of everything. They are common because they are often more effective than no gimick.

More folk buy cars when the dealer offers promotional financing. In reality, the buyer is likely paying more for that opportunity, than not.

There is no such things as a free lunch.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
My husband threatens me he's going to offer "Wife stays with full price offer."

Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
My husband threatens me he's going to offer "Wife stays with full price offer."
You must be a very beautiful and wonderful person. Do you think you could escape later, or if he sells you with the house, maybe you don't want to go back to him anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate