Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 PM

167 posts, read 494,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
As Realtors, we walk a thin line when answering questions for others that have their own Realtor representation. Our code of ethics prevent us from interfering with another Realtor's client relationship. In particular, I don't want to give advice that may incorrectly contradict their Realtor especially when their Realtor should have a better grasp of their client's situation and contractual obligations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Our information or advice is general in nature. We don't know you, your contract or your localisms.

Your own agent would have specific to your transaction advice.
Great. I'll keep in mind to state that I'm looking for a general answer when I ask questions on the forum. If I have a specific question to my situation, then I'll just ask my agent. I'm not a realtor and I don't know about your code of ethics. Sorry for my ignorance and Thanks for clarifying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,301,936 times
I hate to say it but not all real estate agents have any idea what they are doing. I have recently purchased and sold property in PA and Maine. I was lucky when I purchased a house on Mount Desert Island Maine, to get a very smart, very savvy, very honest realtor. When I tried to sell my one property in PA I got one that actually turned out to be dishonest. She tried to get me to pay for subdividing the land, and then she wanted to get it perc tested, but she had already talked with they guy across the street and the guy who was doing the digging and knew that it wouldn't pass, and she didn't tell us. We wasted 1400 bucks on the test. And then she told us that maybe her agency would buy it from us for a price which was just plain ridiculous. We could have brought her up to the realestate commission, but then we would never have gotten another broker.

Our next broker was honest, but not terribly knowledgeable.

I think people ask questions here who have brokers because they don't trust their broker's answers.

Z

Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 PM

548 posts, read 2,091,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post

I think people ask questions here who have brokers because they don't trust their broker's answers.

Z
The OP asked a neophyte's question. I've bought and sold a number of houses and I still have questions that come up that I would like impartial input, like from this forum.

I "trust" realtors...they work on commission and I "trust" them to say what's in their own best interest to get a sale, which is not always what's in my best interest as the client. I could give some examples of shadiness I've experienced but I don't want to malign a whole industry over a few or malign the ethical realtors on this forum.

It's good that we can ask a dumb question here, and I have asked dumb questions here, even if it's just a reality check for what a realtor is telling us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate