Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I wonder how many people that were fully invested and saving to buy a house, lost a lot of their wealth (their downpayment)today with the tanking stock market?

I watched it on my computer and luckily was not fully invested. I wonder about those who were though -- especially if they quickly tried to close out of their positions.

Will the real estate market will take a hit as a result of today...especially because it was announced that the debt crisis in Greece will spread here soon?

What do you all think?
If you have a need for a large amount of cash in the short term you have no business having that money in the stock market. Our down payment money is in the BANK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
I think your sources stink and your post was premature.
You might not think it's premature if you watched CNBC tonight.

Here is a chart of the Exchange Traded Fund that mirrors the S & P 500 with the ticker symbol SPY:

Standard & Poor's Depositary Re ETF Chart - Yahoo! Finance

See how this weeks candle dipped to the same low point of 105 we had in February?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, ya know how it is with penny stocks....

It wasn't limited to penny stocks. Some that were $40 per share dropped to a penny. Of course they rebounded some but not anywhere close to all of their losses.

As I've already posted, here is a chart of the S & P 500. Note that we dropped to the low of the low of February today (105) from 117---a 12 point drop...more than 10% in a day.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not that this post had a lot of merit to it, but it has even less if you actually look at a chart of the dow.

We closed today at pretty much the same level as we did on April 7th. And from before April 7th we are higher today than we have been at any point since about October 6th, 2008.
What are you talking about? What are your sources?

If you'd like to see what has happend over just the past week, look at this chart.:

Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? What are your sources?

If you'd like to see what has happend over just the past week, look at this chart.:

I'm talking about the Dow. Which is what this thread was about.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
While the equity market may have glitched, the 10 year treasury, which is a key rate in mortgage pricing, dropped to 3.4% which is good news for homebuyers.

Apparently a misreported price for Proctor and Gamble was able to drop the dow 172 points all by itself, which triggered all sorts of computer model trading programs. Once the error was reported, the dow magically regained 600 points.
Global Panic Selling Pummels ETFs - IBD - Investors.com

Hopefully we hit the bottom but now there is even more support at the low point of where we hit. It could mean that we revisit/test those lows before we head back up.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I think most everyone has covered the rest, so I'll answer the thread title. It probably had no impact.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people that were fully invested and saving to buy a house, lost a lot of their wealth (their downpayment)today with the tanking stock market?

I watched it on my computer and luckily was not fully invested. I wonder about those who were though -- especially if they quickly tried to close out of their positions.

Will the real estate market will take a hit as a result of today...especially because it was announced that the debt crisis in Greece will spread here soon?

What do you all think?
I think that there are so many erroneous assumptions in your post that I don't know where to begin.

1. "Fully invested" does not mean 100% in the Dow or even the S&P 500.

2. People saving to buy a house do not put 100% of their savings in the stock market. In fact, I think that it is much more liikely that such people would have zero in the market as opposed to 100%.

3. The market dropped 3.2% today and is still 7% higher than it was just three months ago. Ergo, no one has "lost a lot of their wealth" as a result of today's action.

4. Finally, it has not been "announced" that the debt crisis in Greece will spread here soon. Sure, there are some people who believe that. Just as there are some who believe hyper-inflation is in our future. But there certainly has been no proclamation to that effect or even a general consensus that such is the case.

So since you asked......

that is what I think.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:18 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
anyone who puts money into long term investments with a short term objective is headed for disaster.

in my opinion if you have less then 12-15 years until you need that money you dont belong in equities.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:53 AM

764 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Well if a 3.5% downpayment is now the norm, then I don't think it will have any impact. Now if the government would just stop subsizing housing one way or another, then a day like yesterday would have the potential to wreck a lot of RE deals.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate