Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,753 times

Advertisements

We recently had a termite inspection on the house we are trying to buy and the report came back with "Live termites in structure", and advised that the treatment be done by the sellers with the option of extending it for 5 years.

The inspector seemed to have told the realtor that the termites were in the soil under the crawl space in a corner of the house. He didn't comment on any damage verbally or in the report.

So the question is--what are our options as buyers. I assume that the sellers will have to make treat the home and probably will not extend it--that will be on us. Is is safe to say that we are at risk of there being termite damage in the house that hasn't been seen?

If we buy the house and the termites come back--are we protected against repair? Doesn't seem like it. If they agree to the treatment, I assume we are bound by the contract?

We are moving up from FL and down here termites are a huge deal. Everyone I talk to in NC says they are very common.

Appreciate anyone's help and advice. Thanks.

Last edited by DudeAbides; 05-07-2010 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: This is specific to Durham. Can it be moved back to the Durham forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeAbides View Post
We recently had a termite inspection on the house we are trying to buy and the report came back with "Live termites in structure", and advised that the treatment be done by the sellers with the option of extending it for 5 years.

The inspector seemed to have told the realtor that the termites were in the soil under the crawl space in a corner of the house. He didn't comment on any damage verbally or in the report.

So the question is--what are our options as buyers. I assume that the sellers will have to make treat the home and probably will not extend it--that will be on us. Is is safe to say that we are at risk of there being termite damage in the house that hasn't been seen?

If we buy the house and the termites come back--are we protected against repair? Doesn't seem like it. If they agree to the treatment, I assume we are bound by the contract?

We are moving up from FL and down here termites are a huge deal. Everyone I talk to in NC says they are very common.

Appreciate anyone's help and advice. Thanks.
Your agent needs help from the broker if he/she can't explain it better than this to you.
The "extension" tends to be an annual fee and you would have to pick up the coverage after closing, unless there is something new going on.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 PM

89 posts, read 200,372 times
The fact is around the southern warm climates you are going to have termites. Termites enter a structure that has moisture. If there is moist wood, they dine. If the inspector found live activity but did not see damage, chances are there would probably not be much damage. Things can be missed, but in my inspections, damage seems pretty obvious. Beginning stages don't hold significant damage, but should be treated.
Mike is correct that the extension is the annual fee that you want to keep that is cheaper than later having a full next treatment. This extension usually means the company who did the treatment will continue with follow ups and protect the structure.
I have a BS in Entomology and am a board certified entomologist. I no longer work in the industry, but I have in the past and have even done treatments for termites. What I will tell you is that you need to look at where the moisture is. Gutters are imperative to protect the structure and making sure that there is no water accumulating helps prevent termites more. Also, what is the foundation type. Some foundations are more easily treated than others. Poured concrete and foam block is easy where concrete block not so much.
Did your inspector do a thourough job? Did they get into the crawl space, attic, and everywhere? Those are all factors as to whether they saw the damage. If you are confident they did then you shouldn't have much issue.

Oh other things to look at to aid in the issues of termites, make sure trees and wood piles are not too close to the house and if you have shaker shingles, replace them. Those are like inviting termites to a party.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your agent needs help from the broker if he/she can't explain it better than this to you.
The "extension" tends to be an annual fee and you would have to pick up the coverage after closing, unless there is something new going on.
+1 (as always, MikeJaquish).

Your broker needs to explain your options and potential outcomes. You can also contact the pest control company that you hired to do the inspection and ask them about details.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,753 times
Thanks so much for the help. I will let you know how it plays out. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate