Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,613 times

Advertisements

I'm updating my house, want to sell in the next few years. I'm doing a little at a time--new laminate coutertops, getting rid of old carpet, updating light fixtures, already decluttered )due to ex-husband moving out and taking all his crap with him), and possibly getting a new entry door. My house is 1960, but it doesn't scream 1960 like your house screams late 1970s.

I would at least replace the carpet--no one has that kind/shade of carpet anymore. Also, when people see that the house hasn't been updated at all in the last 30 years, they wonder what else has been neglected. They don't want to put an offer in and find that the roof, water heater, and electrical all need to be replaced.

The positive is that if people are spending a lot of time in your house,maybe they like the floor plan, but can't envision how they would live there because it doesn't look like anything has been updated.

I would, at the very least, paint, remove some of the furniture, and rip out that carpet. I don't think you need any more pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 04:05 PM

622 posts, read 1,782,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
O.K., I just took a peek at the listing.

I only see 4 pics and none are of the interior.

The square footage is listed as 1400-1700. Do you not know the square footage of the house? Did your agent not measure?

It will be hard for anyone to offer you advice with what we are seeing.

You need to know that what you need to get from the sale has no bearing on what a buyer will pay.
The Charlotte MLS only lists the square footage in a range. We must measure the home and submit, but the MLS only indicates it as a range. I have my houses measured and insert a measured floorplan into the listing as an attachment. To tell the truth, the MLS listing square footage as a renge drives me crazy.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarin View Post
The Charlotte MLS only lists the square footage in a range. We must measure the home and submit, but the MLS only indicates it as a range. I have my houses measured and insert a measured floorplan into the listing as an attachment. To tell the truth, the MLS listing square footage as a renge drives me crazy.

They are doing it because of lawsuits. People are suing over inaccurate square footage.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:47 PM

704 posts, read 2,069,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
They are doing it because of lawsuits. People are suing over inaccurate square footage.
the house may look 70's but it was built in 1982.

You'd have to get on your knees and measure around the cabinets in the kitchen to get accurate square feet in that room.
My agent took care of the square footage.

I'm not sure what is under the carpet, probably dusty plywood = new carpet or hard wood floors.

I'll be glad to take the curtains with me, though my agent says they, and the stove and maybe the refrigerator and washer and dryer could be items the buyer wants left behind.

The "other" half of the furniture was removed by my sister. That is why there is not much there. All loose items were boxed and are in the garage.

Someone find me a traditional surrogate willing to travel to exotic Thailand at my expense and under-go IVF and I'll be able to afford to lower my price beyond what I now think is my lowest price to sell, around 178 (to accomodate 10% in selling cost, leaving me about 160,000).

Old 05-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I'm updating my house, want to sell in the next few years. I'm doing a little at a time--new laminate coutertops, getting rid of old carpet, updating light fixtures, already decluttered )due to ex-husband moving out and taking all his crap with him), and possibly getting a new entry door. My house is 1960, but it doesn't scream 1960 like your house screams late 1970s.

I would at least replace the carpet--no one has that kind/shade of carpet anymore. Also, when people see that the house hasn't been updated at all in the last 30 years, they wonder what else has been neglected. They don't want to put an offer in and find that the roof, water heater, and electrical all need to be replaced.

The positive is that if people are spending a lot of time in your house,maybe they like the floor plan, but can't envision how they would live there because it doesn't look like anything has been updated.

I would, at the very least, paint, remove some of the furniture, and rip out that carpet. I don't think you need any more pictures.
I've never owned a home. Is there not the idea of a buyer telling the seller what improvements they think they need and the two of them negotiate on what improvement the seller will make before a contract, etc.
With cars and other items there is something called "making an offer".
Do I hear people getting ready to tell me that my viewers were not serious when they stepped foot inside? Then why look. Go look at some '90's models.
My price will have to come down, soon, slowly to a point. I've asked how often and in what increments, prices should be lowered.
199 now
192 after 45 days
185 after 45 more days
178 after 45 more days, gets me to the "must sell" target of 178 and time frame of about 180 days.
Location will be important to someone, mark my word. (when = )

Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post

Everything is in working order and the inspector will make sure of that.
However, an FHA inspector was going to let a 6 foot long crack in the brick, a perpendicular crack, slip by as "cosmetic" but made a fuss over a chimney flash. This was a house I was interested in, but that whole area had soil settling and many homes got damaged. This particular one, not a single door inside or outside the house would open and close normally. One house in the area, the whole end of the house fell apart in a pile of bricks.
Others had zero damage, like a tornado came through and went exactly between two houses and damaged one but not the other.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naeem5 View Post
ok, good points, but my appliances have no dents and scratches and I expected to take them with me if they are so "ancient".

Your last comment........you're not so 80's any more.
One question I have is WHY are people looking at an 80's house if they want a 90's house, not to mention their agent should have already done a CMA.....I'm confused at why people are looking?

Also, what were you expected to bring to closing beside the lawyer for the deed and the commissions for all the agents and agencies?
I'm being told 6% for the commissions and another 4% or more to help the buyer out...........
When we were looking for a house, not in your area but in your asking price range, we looked at EVERYTHING! We were also prepared to do some updating.

Here is a home for sale in your area, in your price range-
Real Estate & homes for sale | Single family homes,Condos,Townhomes,Co-ops - REALTOR.com®

I would be much more likely to consider this home as it would require less $$ to freshen it up.
Heck, I would consider this one-http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search?mlslid=1066921

A buyer doesn't care what you paid for the house or what you need to get out of it.

I would suggest you look at your competition and have a serious discussion with your agent.
Good Luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM

575 posts, read 1,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post

A buyer doesn't care what you paid for the house or what you need to get out of it.

I would suggest you look at your competition and have a serious discussion with your agent.
Good Luck!

The last house we sold was in a bubble area, just as said bubble was beginning to deflate. Our realtor made all her sellers watch a video that pounded the above point home... again, and again, and again.

What people expect as far as updates varies depending on area, but in general I think the HGTV phenomenon is alive and well. Most people want updated, move-in ready.

Our house was only 9 years old, but because of rampant flipping during the bubble, people still expected houses to be uber-updated in our area.
In order to get market price we painted inside & out, put new granite countertops in the kitchen & baths, put in new carpet, and replaced most light fixtures. I refused to replace perfectly good white appliances, partly because I hate stainless, but we gave an allowance for that.
Had we not done all the above, we would have had to price the house accordingly. ie: well below what most houses in the neighborhood were selling for.

Quote:
I have to hope for someone who has never owned a home, maybe rented a old wooden house or apartment and my house is an upgrade for them.
Even if you find someone like that, they aren't going to over pay for your house. You have to be priced properly for your market.

Quote:
I'd think the MSL and photos and price would only bring viewers who are serious to buy my house. I'm being told that is 100% wrong.
Sometimes the perfect fit just isn't out there, so folks look at whatever is on the market in their price range, and decide what they can make work. Every time I've been house shopping I've walked through any house that was even close to what I wanted.

I hope you are able to sell at a price you can live with, but it does sound like price is an issue.

Good Luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
I have to hope for someone who has never owned a home, maybe rented a old wooden house or apartment and my house is an upgrade for them.
Why would you think that a first-time buyer, moving from a rental would willingly overpay for your house because it would be a step up? That still doesn't make them ignorant.

Put yourself in the buyers' shoes. If you saw your house and one that has been upgraded for the same price, which one would YOU buy? Why would they be any different?

You sound amazed that people would upgrade an older home - millions of people have done it. In fact, that's what flippers specialize in doing.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:54 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
You'd have to get on your knees and measure around the cabinets in the kitchen to get accurate square feet in that room.
My agent took care of the square footage.

That isn't how square footage is generally measured by appraisers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate