Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 PM

472 posts, read 854,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My price will have to come down, soon, slowly to a point. I've asked how often and in what increments, prices should be lowered.
199 now
192 after 45 days
185 after 45 more days
178 after 45 more days, gets me to the "must sell" target of 178 and time frame of about 180 days
You'll be just chasing the market down and frustrated in the end.

Put on your big girl panties and deal with a.) it IS a buyer's market. Not yours. What you need to get out of your house means *NOTHING* to a buyer today. I repeat, NOTHING.

b.) You are overpriced. You even admitted it. Take a look at these if there's any denial:
12059 Pelican, Tega Cay, SC, 29708 - MLS #1065349 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

285 Sand Paver Way, Fort Mill, SC, 29708 - MLS #913257 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

1313 Crown Ridge Drive, Fort Mill, SC, 29708 - MLS #1067416 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

3716 Leela Palace Way, Fort Mill, SC, 29708 - MLS #1066712 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

I could go on and on....these are more updated homes than yours, and larger probably. This IS your competition, and if you stay priced higher, your house will be the house that *sold* your competition's house.

C.) Potential buyers that are looking at your house might be serious about buying a house, but probably not serious about buying yours, because of the above reasons. You're helping sell the competition and not helping yourself by dragging your feet.

D.) VERY, VERY, VERY limited buying pool. Do you realize that lenders have cracked down and are not lending as freely now? It's called the credit crunch, and most lenders are requiring 20%, perfect credit, etc. Gone are the days of lending to anyone that had a pulse. This means you gotta be spot on with price AND condition.

I hate to be blunt, it's not intended to hurt your feelings. It took us 18 months to sell our house. Trust me, had I listened to the advice given here, I would have sold alot sooner. It is a bracing reality check, I know. But the sooner you "get it," the better off you'll be.

I think you need to honestly ask yourself the question if you can really "afford" to sell at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
Well I don't really agree that downtown charlotte is 12 minutes from you. Google maps says at least 20 minutes. I live in S. Charlotte and in non rush hour, I could never make it uptown in 12 minutes.

I also think a lot of people who work in Charlotte but live in SC choose to buy there not only because of lower taxes and great schools, but because they can get a newer or brand new home that is cheaper.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
You must accept the feedback you have received - the house needs work & you have had no offers. Don't take it personally. Don't try to justify why others should appreciate your house. Accept the fact that others see it as "needing work" aka a money pit.
Thus you need to do some serious updating or drop the price - slash the price might be more like it. I don't know your market but buyers are very demanding these days. There may well be another 50 homes for them to consider. I don't mean to sound harsh but your house is just one .. and apparently, it needs work.
I'm sorry. Try to be objective - after all it's just business.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM

704 posts, read 2,069,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Why would you think that a first-time buyer, moving from a rental would willingly overpay for your house because it would be a step up? That still doesn't make them ignorant.

Put yourself in the buyers' shoes. If you saw your house and one that has been upgraded for the same price, which one would YOU buy? Why would they be any different?

You sound amazed that people would upgrade an older home - millions of people have done it. In fact, that's what flippers specialize in doing.
I'm not expecting first time buyers to over pay for my house. I'm thinking first time buyers will be less likely to compare my house to the one they moved out of and some people will find my house to be an upgrade. I live in a 1969 mobile home with no heat-window a/c, no room for a sofa or 2nd chair in case the President comes visiting.

Guess what is an upgrade to me?

What "buyer's" costs should I expect to pay? (beside their agent-agency commissions which is 1% or 3% with my agent, depending on who finds the buyer, 6% if the buyer is found by another agent, 4% if my agent finds the buyer, and I guess 4% if I find a buyer)

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naeem5 View Post
I'm not expecting first time buyers to over pay for my house. I'm thinking first time buyers will be less likely to compare my house to the one they moved out of and some people will find my house to be an upgrade. I live in a 1969 mobile home with no heat-window a/c, no room for a sofa or 2nd chair in case the President comes visiting.

What "buyer's" costs should I expect to pay? (beside their agent-agency commissions which is 1% or 3% with my agent, depending on who finds the buyer, 6% if the buyer is found by another agent, 4% if my agent finds the buyer, and I guess 4% if I find a buyer)

Thanks.
No, but they are going to compare it to other properties that are on the market that are priced better and in better condition than yours.

What part of 7 pages of this don't you seem to understand?

It seems like you're waiting for someone to just agree with you ... which, it's pretty obvious by now, it's not going to happen.

Read your contract when it comes to costs. Your agent should've preapared you with a net sheet when you listed. If they haven't, ask them to do it now.

And no, you don't get 4% if you find a buyer - unless that's the kind of listing agreement you signed. Which my guess is, that it's not.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
No, but they are going to compare it to other properties that are on the market that are priced better and in better condition than yours.

What part of 7 pages of this don't you seem to understand?

It seems like you're waiting for someone to just agree with you ... which, it's pretty obvious by now, it's not going to happen.

Read your contract when it comes to costs. Your agent should've preapared you with a net sheet when you listed. If they haven't, ask them to do it now.

And no, you don't get 4% if you find a buyer - unless that's the kind of listing agreement you signed. Which my guess is, that it's not.

the commission I pay is 6% (may be divided 4 ways).
I pay only 4% if my agent finds the buyer.
I may only pay 4% if I find the buyer, not sure.

I'm told the buyer's will expect me to pay some of their buyer's cost, such as?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:

I was a recent first time buyer, moving from out from a little dumpy place I'd been in for years.
You are thinking a first time buyer will look at your house and think "Hey, this is way better than what I'm used to, so I'll buy it." It doesn't work that way. Almost every house I looked at was better than the one I moved out of, but I wasn't willing to settle for something just because it was better. For my money I want what is the best.
If I lived off ramen noodles for years and suddenly found I could afford to buy meat, do you think I'd buy hamburger if steak were on sale for the same price? Just because it's better than the ramen noodles I'm used too?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM

575 posts, read 1,778,253 times
Quote:

Thanks.

I don't know that anyone can really answer with much certainty because that's all part of the negotiation process, and can vary considerably.

What is usual & customary in one area may not be the same in another area. But even within the same neighborhood, one seller may agree to pay all buyers closing costs, while another may not pay any.
If the feedback has been that your house needs updating, a potential buyer could very well try to negotiate an allowance for that.
Any issues found during inspections will also need to be addressed.

The thing is, all the above is negotiable. As a seller you don't have to accept any offer you are not comfortable with. You may loose potential buyers, and I think your chances of selling if you're overpriced are slim to none, but you do have the final say.

Personally I think you're better off pricing fairly and then standing your ground when you do get an offer than pricing high because you've built in a large negotiating cushion... but that's just my opinion.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM

not meaning to be understood......what I mean is, there will be people who find my house more appealing than it seems to be here.

I know my price is too high. The agent suggested listing it for 199,900 while the home buyer credit was out there. I had it advertised for 195,900 back in the winter. I assume, based on my agent's numbers, we are headed to 180-189 in short order.

I'm trying to get a hold of the list of expenses that buyer's may expect me to pay that raises my cost from the 6% commission to a total of as much as 10% or more.

Axiom, our post crossed.............

Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 AM

my error....I save 1% (5% vs. 6%) if my agent finds the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate