Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,587,351 times

Advertisements

I'd like update my master bath by removing the tub and replacing it with a full size shower. I'd like multiple shower heads, a seat and a hinged glass door. Currenting this 2 bedroom house has 2 full bathrooms and one 3/4 bathroom. Do you think I will be lowering the value of my home by removing the bathtub in the master bedroom and replacing it with a full sized shower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 10:47 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,289,018 times
zonababe, the answer is one of those "maybe, maybe not". A lot depends on your local market and neighborhood. Generally speaking, it's probably going to be the fact that your home is a 2-bdrm rather than a 3-bdrm that's going to hurt your resale $$$. However, if 2-bdrm homes are the norm for your neighborhood, then you'll be okay.

I personally would love to have a master bath shower like you describe, and I think others would too. Some folks love the Jacuzzi tubs, but when I show homes, most of those look totally unused. Most of the people that think they want them are people that haven't had them. Just so long as there's another bath with a tub, you'll probably do just fine with the resale, and those cool showers you describe are really popular right now. Of course, the high-end homes have both a tub and separate shower.

I would be careful, though, not to overimprove your home if you're thinking of selling before long. Of course, if you're going to live in your home for a number of years, then make the home what you want. After all, that's what a home is for -- to enjoy! On the other hand, if your home has tons more upgrades than similar 2-bdrm homes in your neighborhood, then you won't be able to recoup your money.

Hope this helps. Enjoy that new shower!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,587,351 times
Thanks for responding Gretchen. Actually it is a three bedroom house. We converted the third bedroom to a media room. There is also a separate spa room off the bathroom in the media room/third bedroom. We also have a guest house on the property with a 3/4 bath. We don't plan to sell anytime soon.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:03 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,626,332 times
We converted our master bath into a large shower and we love it. We never used the tub and had to climb over it to shower. I don't think you'll regret it and unless you're planning on selling soon why not have the house the way you want it?

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,289,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Thanks for responding Gretchen. Actually it is a three bedroom house. We converted the third bedroom to a media room. There is also a separate spa room off the bathroom in the media room/third bedroom. We also have a guest house on the property with a 3/4 bath. We don't plan to sell anytime soon.
Sounds like a great house! From what you describe that nice new shower will add value, especially since you have a spa room. Enjoy!

(Now you're making me want to start some remodelling projects on my own home.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate