U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM

1,939 posts, read 5,603,899 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a good, simple recipe?? Maybe even a crockpot one?? This is one of my favorite meals, and Ive never attempted it! Thanks in advance, I can't wait..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM

497 posts, read 1,028,866 times
It's one of those recipes that can be very intimidating or very easy. I say go with the easy.

Boil your chicken. Either a whole chicken or parts. Cool the bird to the point that you can pick off the meat. Simmer the broth with some chopped onion. I add chicken boullion to mine and salt and pepper. Some add carrots. I don't.

Skim the fat off the broth and bring it to a boil. Now, when it comes to dumplings, I spent years making mine from Bisquick. Attended a church potluck where a guy brought the best chicken and dumplings. I asked for his dumpling recipe and he told me they were just canned biscuits cut in half and dropped into the simmering broth. They were fantastic!

Whatever method you choose, drop the dumplings, cover and simmer until your dumplings are good and done all the way through. If you use the Bisquick just follow the directions on the box.

The dumplings should thicken your broth. Just make sure you don't have too much broth to begin with. You want enough to simmer your dumplings, but not drown them and leave you with a runny mess.

Oh, add your chicken pieces before you drop the dumplings.

Go for it. You will be surprised how easy it is and if you use the canned biscuits, this really can't fail.

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 AM

507 posts, read 2,022,796 times
This is the best I have ever made and it won 1st place in Tn Home and Farm magazine contest. There's even a video.

Tennessee Home & Farm | Recipe Center | Entrees | Bea’s Chicken and Dumplings

Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,806,444 times
If you search Chicken and Dumplings on this site you will probably come up with a post I made maybe a year ago on this topic... I was looking for a recipe myself. In the end I tried all kinds of things and found the best way to make it. Only bad part, is it takes the better part of the day so I usually make it on Sunday's.

I get the package of frozen AnnieB's dumpling noodles and follow the recipe on the back of the box. Super simple and delish!!!!

Basically you boil a whole chicken with no fancy seasonings until done. Take the chicken out and cool. SAVE THE BROTH and skim as much fat as possible out of the pan (this is really my way of saving a few fat grams). When the chicken is cool, take all the meat off the bones and put it back in the pot. Bring to a boil and drop the frozen noodles in a few at a time. Cook for about 15 minutes - and DONE. Really... easy, really amazing. I made this many times this past winter on Sunday's and the family was very happy with the big pot of Chix and dumplings they could eat all afternoon and evening.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:40 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,482,584 times
Have you tried the chicken and tortillia dumplins? Everybody I make them for asks for the recipe and says they are the ONLY chicken and dumplins they make anymore.. OMG! They are so good and super easy to make...

Chicken and Tortilla Dumplings

This will serve a large family.

1 whole chicken or chicken parts (such as leg quarters)
10 burrito-size flour tortillas
Salt and pepper to taste or Mrs. Dash
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Water or 1 can chicken broth
1 cup milk or 1 regular size can evaporated milk
Grated cheese or cheese slices (optional)

Cut up chicken; cover with water. Simmer until done, without seasoning.

Remove chicken from broth; cool and debone. Set aside.

Bring broth to a boil; season with salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash.

While broth is boiling, remove 1 cup.

In medium-size bowl add the cup of broth, butter and cream of chicken soup; beat together with fork as you would an egg. Stir in milk (for a richer, creamier sauce, I use evaporated milk). Set aside.

On cutting board, cut tortillas into 1 1/2-inch strips. Place 1 layer of strips into boiling broth; crisscross with second layer. (Do not stir.) With wooden spoon or large spoon, gently push strips into broth. Allow broth to soak through and moisten both layers, 40 to 60 seconds. (Placing too many strips too soon can cause them to "glue" together.) Add layer of chicken. Alternate layers of tortilla strips and chicken; remembering to gently push layers into broth. If too much broth cooks away while alternating, add chicken broth or water. If boiling is too rapid, turn down to medium heat but be sure broth continues to boil while alternating. Add prepared sauce to dumplings. Stir through very gently from sides with a wooden spoon. (Too much stirring will cause strips to tear apart.) Turn heat to low. Top with sliced or grated cheese (optional). Simmer 7 to 10 minutes.

(note; What I do is bake my chicken to make it easier, sometimes baking it ahead of time and refrigerate to cool down for easier handeling while deboning.)

Old 07-04-2010, 06:46 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,795,839 times
I usually use Bisquick, but canned muffins sounds much simpler.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,330,611 times
I also use flour tortillas. This is the best kept secret ever. This is one of my daughter's favorite dishes and even she love it with the tortillas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes