Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,920,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
"ways to cook a massive boston butt"

I don't have anything to add regarding cooking, but the title of your post caused me to laugh out loud!!

Me too, I had to google it. Especially after reading about 'stuffing your butt with garlic'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,869,517 times
We use this recipe all the time, and everyone just raves about it. You'll find it mentioned all over the internet:

Monte's Ham - Saveur.com

Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
ways to cook a boston butt or pork shoulder, any thoughts?

my preference is:

A) trim the fat with a pair of scissors

B) brine overnight, and let dry

C) sear in cast iron skillet with a touch of peanut oil

D) rub with spice of choice (i like paprika, cumin, onion salt, garlic salt, white pepper)

E) smoke (wood or charcoal), or cook over gas. the goal is to get the internal temp to 200 degrees, using as much time and as little heat as possible. 1.5 hours per pound of meat @ 225 is not a bad rule.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,392,864 times
What?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
What?

sizzle, i thought you were from alabamer. y'all don't eat boston butt?

Last edited by le roi; 07-29-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 06:22 AM

50,178 posts, read 63,636,357 times
This one, also from Saveur, sounds good.

1 bone-in pork Boston butt (about 7 lbs.)
1 3⁄4 cups barbecue sauce, preferably
Cattlemen's Original
1 cup ketchup
1⁄3 cup Coca-Cola
1⁄2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Hamburger buns

1. Preheat oven to 300°. Wrap pork well in aluminum foil, sealing it tightly at the top. Transfer to a deep roasting pan, sealed side up, and fill pan halfway with water. Bake, refilling water halfway through, until the pork is very tender and falling away from the bone, about 8 hours.

2. Unwrap pork, discarding any juices, and transfer to a sheet tray. When cool enough to handle, shred pork, discarding bone and any fat, and transfer to a large bowl. Add barbecue sauce, ketchup, Coca-Cola, Tabasco, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine.

3. Discard water from roasting pan and dry out pan with a towel. Transfer pork to the pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Cook in oven until the pork is heated through, about 45 minutes.

4. Spoon the pork barbecue onto hamburger buns and serve hot.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,822,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Some facts...Liquid smoke is an aromatic, in blind taste tests people cannot tell the difference between smoked food and food oven baked with liquid smoke added...

Smokers aren't a big "thing" in Australia - so when I was visiting Texas back about 12 years ago (before I moved here) I fell in love with liquid smoke and took some back home with me.

My Aussie friends were knocked out at the difference in taste it made to BBQ.........

Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,282,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post

For pork shoulder this is AWESOME!

Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Shoulder Recipe | Real Simple Recipes

Do not skip the Chinese 5 spice if you make that recipe.

I made this last night for dinner and it is FABULOUS. Also, one of the all-time easiest recipes I've ever made. AKgirlinCA, you are da bomb.

My market didn't have any bok choy in stock and I didn't have time to go to the Asian market, so I made a substitution there. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly, since I had in rest of the Asian ingredients in my pantry already. Taking the cue to substitute broccoli, I instead substituted a bag of broccoli slaw the last hour of cooking time. It gave a great crunch and with the bits of carrots and red cabbage that the bag included provided some color, too. I also used more than 1/2 a lime, since I think citrus is great with pork and I had a lot of limes in the fridge.

I reduced the liquid in the crock pot a bit to serve over the rice and every drop was devoured by my guests. I had served the slaw on the side since I was afraid some wouldn't like it, but they all did. Also, they all agreed that this pork would make a great sandwich on a whole wheat bun and I was roundly criticized for not doubling the recipe. You can never please all the people all the time ... but next time I will.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,636,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This one, also from Saveur, sounds good.

1 bone-in pork Boston butt (about 7 lbs.)
1 3⁄4 cups barbecue sauce, preferably
Cattlemen's Original
1 cup ketchup
1⁄3 cup Coca-Cola
1⁄2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Hamburger buns

1. Preheat oven to 300°. Wrap pork well in aluminum foil, sealing it tightly at the top. Transfer to a deep roasting pan, sealed side up, and fill pan halfway with water. Bake, refilling water halfway through, until the pork is very tender and falling away from the bone, about 8 hours.

2. Unwrap pork, discarding any juices, and transfer to a sheet tray. When cool enough to handle, shred pork, discarding bone and any fat, and transfer to a large bowl. Add barbecue sauce, ketchup, Coca-Cola, Tabasco, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine.

3. Discard water from roasting pan and dry out pan with a towel. Transfer pork to the pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Cook in oven until the pork is heated through, about 45 minutes.

4. Spoon the pork barbecue onto hamburger buns and serve hot.
PS to this. I made it today by just plopping it into the crock pot with an inch of water on high for 8 hours. Easier than the oven method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes