U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:02 AM

7 posts, read 15,199 times

Advertisements

I was just eating an avocado with the leftovers of stuffing that I used for bell peppers, and I had an idea. An avocado cut in half with the insides diced seems like it would go well with a poached egg on top so that the yolk fits in the groove left from the pit of the avocado. Also, it seems to me that this would go well with something sweet.. But what? My first thought was cinnamon sugar + cayenne pepper, but then I thought that chocolate or caramel sauce (or both) might be even better.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,555,515 times
Poached eggs are an abomination

Here:

1 small can Sweet Whole Kernal Corn (canned) drained very well.
1 small Tomato diced
1 tablespoon finely diced white onion

Dressing:

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon tabasco sauce
pinch of salt and pepper
whisk well
combine with vegatables above

Spoon over the avocado halves

Serve after chilling for 10 minutes

You can add any spices that fit your palette

Best to use large Haas Avocados for best flavor

Old 08-16-2010, 01:13 AM

7 posts, read 15,199 times
I'm not interested in that recipe. Where is the chocolate?

Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,362,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by !diom View Post
I was just eating an avocado with the leftovers of stuffing that I used for bell peppers, and I had an idea. An avocado cut in half with the insides diced seems like it would go well with a poached egg on top so that the yolk fits in the groove left from the pit of the avocado. Also, it seems to me that this would go well with something sweet.. But what? My first thought was cinnamon sugar + cayenne pepper, but then I thought that chocolate or caramel sauce (or both) might be even better.

Any thoughts?
Yuck.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,316,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Yuck.
LOL.

I'm still trying to process eggs with avocado.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 AM

11,012 posts, read 17,501,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
LOL.

I'm still trying to process eggs with avocado.
I've had an omelet at IHOP that had bacon and avocado. Absolutely delicious. I don't know if they just have it in California or took it off the menu years ago because I can't get it here.

So I'm with you well enough so far OP (though since avocado and egg are both rich and fatty I feel you need a bland foil like toast to be involved), but I gotta say you lost me at chocolate and cinnamon. I do like sweet and savoury together sometimes though.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM

16,649 posts, read 26,645,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I've had an omelet at IHOP that had bacon and avocado. Absolutely delicious. I don't know if they just have it in California or took it off the menu years ago because I can't get it here.

So I'm with you well enough so far OP (though since avocado and egg are both rich and fatty I feel you need a bland foil like toast to be involved), but I gotta say you lost me at chocolate and cinnamon. I do like sweet and savoury together sometimes though.
I was also thinking of bacon -- bacon always seems to have a sweetness to it.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,072,998 times
I think the flavor of avocado is too delicate for a sweetener. How about refried beans, which are wonderful with egg.

You might try fried and mashed sweet potato.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:43 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,903,042 times
The only sweet I can think of that would go well with an avocado and a poached egg would be a little drizzle of balsamic reduction.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 PM

11,012 posts, read 17,501,056 times
Good idea Tilli, I'd eat that for sure, especially over a bed of baby spinach.

I promise y'all I'm not trying this, and it doesn't have chocolate, but here's a sweet avocado recipe:

Glazed Avocado Boats Recipe by Easy Salads | ifood.tv (http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/glazed-avocado-boats-0 - broken link)

And here's a fudge recipe:

Avocado Fudge Recipe - Vegan Dessert - california avocado fudge recipe - Avocado dessert - Vegan fudge recipe

This one sounds a little more promising...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes