U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 PM

580 posts, read 732,717 times

Advertisements

How do you make fresh string beans? what do you snap, the two ends or do you snap the middle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:01 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,308,034 times
Strange question, OP.

I never really thought about it but I snip those little stringy things on the ends and snap in the middle. If the bean is long enough I snap into threes.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 PM

4,582 posts, read 4,999,015 times
Yep, just snap off the ends and snap in 2 if you want to. It just depends on how big of a bean you want. Boil them in salted water for about 4 minutes. You don't want them mushy at all. They need to stay crisp. Once you boil them you will shock them in a water/ice bath. This stops the cooking. Then in a skillet, heat some olive oil, add minced garlic and then your beans. Saute making sure to coat the beans with the OO/garlic. Salt/pepper to taste. I like them to still have a crispness but my SIL cooks them until they are soft. She also adds bacon.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,897,470 times
Jessie - you show a French influence in your cooking - but then you are from Louisianna so that makes sense.

I use Jessie's method sometimes and other times I just steam them until just done and then toss them with browned butter, lemon zest and toasted sliced almonds or toasted walnuts. Yummy. I never cut the beans - I buy the Haricot Vert type beans and always cook them whole - so much better tasting.

Here is the link to how to cook green beans using the French method ala Julia Child: http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/163647/fresh-green-beans

When you steam beans and don't want to use the ice water method, you need to take the beans off the stove before they are done. Drain them thoroughly and return to pan, mix with browned butter and lemon zest or garlic and/or shallots - the beans will continue to cook a bit in the hot pan. Be sure to salt the boiling water before you drop the beans in and salt and pepper them afterwards as well.

Last edited by Cattknap; 09-01-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,594,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Yep, just snap off the ends and snap in 2 if you want to. It just depends on how big of a bean you want. Boil them in salted water for about 4 minutes. You don't want them mushy at all. They need to stay crisp. Once you boil them you will shock them in a water/ice bath. This stops the cooking. Then in a skillet, heat some olive oil, add minced garlic and then your beans. Saute making sure to coat the beans with the OO/garlic. Salt/pepper to taste. I like them to still have a crispness but my SIL cooks them until they are soft. She also adds bacon.
I use the shock method unless I'm in a rush, then the microwave works well!
If I have a lot of garlic in other dishes, I do the same prep method, edit the garlic out, and use lemon zest at the end, sooooooo yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes