U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:26 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,212,658 times

Advertisements

Well this is a great example of why you don't need a recipe. This is marinated pork kabobs, right?

I think we all know that to properly marinate meat we need some acid (you have lemon, but it could be lime, orange, vinegar etc., some oil and some herbs and spices. Onion and garlic whether they are shallots or yellow onions will certainly work. That is a matter of preference and availability. I think I have always used garlic to marinate meat. Sometimes minced, sometimes chopped, sometimes just the liquid out of a jar of grocery store minced garlic. But, I don't think I'd leave it out. As for the herbs, do you seriously need a recipe for that? Orgeano is fine if fresh, but wouldn't any fresh herb you like work? Personally, I use oregano in red sauces and don't care for it on meat. Do I care if someone likes this dish with oregano? Not really. How about, sage, fennel, thyme?

If I set about marinated pork kabobs, I think I could make it a whole lot better based on what I like. And, I hate yogurt and would be dropping that out anyway.

As for the fruit compote, I don't like apricots. But I do like fruit and meat together. Id probably take some ripe plums and saute them up until they are a sauce. Would i use lemon juice, apple cider, grape juice, honey, brown sugar. anise, or cinnamon? Maybe.

And, I have roasted pine nuts with everything. would I use them here? no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times
Then you would not end up with the same flavorful dish. You remind me of the people who critique recipes on Epicurious - they completely change the original (and often wonderful) recipe and then have harsh criticisms for their altered recipe. You will never know how good this recipe is because you dismiss it without even having tried it. We have different tastes since it appears that there are many things you don't like - very limiting. Your post reminds me of that old saying about Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Your personalization of this is unfortunate. do you always attack the people who disagree with you?

Actually, I would get a dish that I like. I think Oregano on meat is a faux pas and I hate yogurt on anything. So I might miss a dish you would like and that would really be just fine.

I know that some young people who are just starting out don't know if they prefer Oregano to Fennel or Thyme, etc. But I'm pretty confident that the oregano belongs in a red sauce or in an Italian sausage recipe or maybe some Italian dressing. So you go on with your recipes and I'll go about fixing delicious stuff I like and we will agree to disagree, OK?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 AM

10,998 posts, read 17,487,206 times
I collect cookbooks and love looking at others' ideas for recipes, but seldom make it through one without changing and tweaking to my personal taste.

I'm an intuitive cook who knows when a pinch of this or that is a good idea. My husband and my friends love to eat at my house, so I must be doing something right.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:01 AM

3,843 posts, read 9,412,975 times
I use recipes for inspiration and sometimes I'll follow one initally to get a baseline. I've gotten so I can spot if something is "off". For example, one recipe called for a teaspoon of oregano and it sounded like too much for that dish, and sure enough it was. So now, if I see something lilke that, I adjust it to my own taste.

I like having the skills to totally make something up. I wanted to make a tuna noodle casserole with fresh tuna that other day and I did not want to use canned cream of mushroom soup as a base. I was able to make a roux and add the appropriate seasonings and liquid to make a very delectable creamy sauce without the canned taste!

It's taken many years and much trial (and some error) to get to this point though.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

I like having the skills to totally make something up. I wanted to make a tuna noodle casserole with fresh tuna that other day and I did not want to use canned cream of mushroom soup as a base. I was able to make a roux and add the appropriate seasonings and liquid to make a very delectable creamy sauce without the canned taste!

It's taken many years and much trial (and some error) to get to this point though.

Oooooh, that sounds good! And a lot of sauteed shallots or leeks. Bechemel is just decadent enough for me. Maybe I do need recipe's - like this one.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 AM

10,998 posts, read 17,487,206 times
I made a soup last night that was inspired by one served to me elsewhere but I must immodestly say mine was much better. I didn't have a recipe I just figured it out. This is actually very healthy as it filled two four cup containers but the polish sausage makes it seem decadent.

Saute together until veggies are soft:

2 tsp oil
1 small-medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 hatch chile, diced
1 carrot, diced
8 ounces smoked sausage, cut in bite size chunks

I then added 4 cups homemade broth I had in the freezer and 2 cups of water and brought to a simmer. Sprinkled in some italian seasoning and a few red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

Then in with a few small red potatoes that I had cut in bite-sized pieces and simmered for about 10 minutes. Then I added perhaps 1/3 pound of fresh green beans which I had chopped up and simmered another few minutes. I really don't like overcooked green beans. Somebody else may prefer to add them earlier.

This is great comfort food for a cool night and diet-friendly too. I can't believe I'm mentioning the word diet when I'm heading to the State Fair in a couple of hours.

Is it ironic that I can't follow a recipe but here I am giving one?

Old 09-28-2010, 09:29 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,025,881 times
I sometimes just look at recipes to get ideas, and then make up something similar with whatever I have in the house.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:31 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,462,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I usually use recipes but not always. I love recipes with a complexity of flavors - especially mediterranean style food and asian food - the blend of spices and herbs and fresh ingredients needs to be just right. I disagree completely that most meals are beter without recipes. If you really think that is true, then you need better recipes.
I suppose a lot depends on how you were taught to cook in the first place and how good your memory is.

I have lots of cookbooks as I collect them,but I seldom use them. I was taught the old fashioned southern way,a pinch of this,a dash of that and a handful of something else.

I haven't killed anyone yet,so I think it's working for me.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Your personalization of this is unfortunate. do you always attack the people who disagree with you?

Actually, I would get a dish that I like. I think Oregano on meat is a faux pas and I hate yogurt on anything. So I might miss a dish you would like and that would really be just fine.

I know that some young people who are just starting out don't know if they prefer Oregano to Fennel or Thyme, etc. But I'm pretty confident that the oregano belongs in a red sauce or in an Italian sausage recipe or maybe some Italian dressing. So you go on with your recipes and I'll go about fixing delicious stuff I like and we will agree to disagree, OK?
I can see that you don't get the recipe at all - the hot peppers, the tart apricots, the sweet honey, tart lime, the spicy oregano, the nutty and minty garnishes mellowed out by the cool yougurt - those flavors go together beautifully. Plums would not be an appropriate substitute for apricots - you need the tartness of the apricots and licorice (anise) would certainly overwhelm the whole thing. Oregano is good with many dishes not just meat. Your palette is limited because you don't allow yourself to cook anything that you think you might not like, opting always for the same flavors - you have proven my point - thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or