Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 PM

41,885 posts, read 74,952,198 times

Advertisements

A recipe is a guideline. I know enough not to mess with some ingredients and/or their proportions, depending on what I'm making.

But otherwise ... "this" can be just as good as, or even better than, "that."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I pour a glass of wine & let my creative cooking flow!!!
One glass for the dish, two glasses for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,418,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
One glass for the dish, two glasses for me!

Many a good meal burned on the stove as a result of that formula!

Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 PM

831 posts, read 1,579,445 times
I guess I am somewhere in the middle. I will look at a recipe to know the items that go into a dish. I rarely measure I just through it together. So a recipe is the place I start from, I may add something not listed, or I may leave something out if I don't have it on hand.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,062,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
As a rule, I usually just create my own dishes without recipes. However, I use recipes sometimes to try new or unfamiliar dishes. I always use recipes when baking.
Me too, trying to "wing it" when baking usually ends up turning out badly for me, I need to follow a recipe pretty closely.

When it comes to cooking, I'll look at a new recipe, to get an idea of the time quantity and temperature, and just wing it from there. My wife follows the recipes, so when I'm cooking a new recipe, she will say things like "It did not ask for apple juice" and I'll respond with "I know" .

I was wondering if people here taste their food as they are cooking, or most of us use our nose and our intuition to decide what spices to use.

I have noticed that my mother always tasted the food as she cooked and added spices as needed, but I never, or extremely seldom, taste the food or sauces as I cook, and I do a lot of cooking. I use my nose and my intuition to guide me. I even use my nose sometimes to sniff a spice, or spice mixture, to decide if if would be good to add.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:29 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,446,340 times
I always taste as I go along but I know what spices and herbs I want to add beforehand for the most part.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM

37,953 posts, read 22,062,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I guess I am somewhere in the middle. I will look at a recipe to know the items that go into a dish. I rarely measure I just through it together. So a recipe is the place I start from, I may add something not listed, or I may leave something out if I don't have it on hand.
...or leave it out, if it asks for way too much fresh ginger.

Some recipes are written by a person who eats way too much of a certain ingedient, tso hat your eyes will bug out when you read how much the author wants yo to add. When I first started out cooking, I made the mistake of adding the amount of fresh ginger that the recipe in a magazine asked for. I was visiting my sister and we all thought the recipe sounded good, but no one could eat it. Ever since then I am always cautious when dealing with a new recipe that calls for adding what looks like too much of any ingredient.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,418,523 times
People who write recipes like food network starts want you to see the recipe and say: "wow why didn't I think of putting a 1/4 teaspoon of whatever in that dish."

Learn how to cook the meals like they do in great cooking schools, without all those extraneous ingredients, and then if you have a passion for tarragon or truffles, go at it. (Except for baking where stuff has to work).

And, I taste as soon as it is safe to do so until the dish is on the table. Its a work in progress.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:24 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,308,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I usually use recipes but not always. I love recipes with a complexity of flavors - especially mediterranean style food and asian food - the blend of spices and herbs and fresh ingredients needs to be just right. I disagree completely that most meals are beter without recipes. If you really think that is true, then you need better recipes.
I am not a trained chef. Just a regular person looking for healthy ,good tasty recipes for my DH & I. I'm always looking for new recipes-online or in books & magazines. If I see one that I like,I will follow it exactly. Depending on the outcome,I will ditch it or tweak it.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,019,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I am not a trained chef. Just a regular person looking for healthy ,good tasty recipes for my DH & I. I'm always looking for new recipes-online or in books & magazines. If I see one that I like,I will follow it exactly. Depending on the outcome,I will ditch it or tweak it.
Me too - if a recipe looks good - then I will try it as is unless I taste and can tell it needs extra salt or something. I really like Epicurious and Food Network because the recipes are rated but there are some amazing food blogs out there and I have about 50 bookmarked that I read once in a while. I have found some wonderful recipes this way and in magazines and cookbooks too. I am teaching a dessert class tomorrow for 50 people and I absolutely love Dorie Greenspan's "From My House to Yours" - I've learned a lot from her.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,308,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Me too - if a recipe looks good - then I will try it as is unless I taste and can tell it needs extra salt or something. I really like Epicurious and Food Network because the recipes are rated but there are some amazing food blogs out there and I have about 50 bookmarked that I read once in a while. I have found some wonderful recipes this way and in magazines and cookbooks too. I am teaching a dessert class tomorrow for 50 people and I absolutely love Dorie Greenspan's "From My House to Yours" - I've learned a lot from her.
Wow Cat-I'm in amazement! I will check out Dorie Greenspan-thanks DKVA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes