Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times

Advertisements

Hey, y'all. My wife and I really don't like fish, but we've committed to eating fresh, wild salmon once a week because of the health benefits. We picked salmon because of its nutrition profile, toxicity profile (one of the least likely to be toxic/contaminated), and because we can stand the way it tastes (I used to enjoy it raw, actually).

What we need, however, is more quick, easy recipes for making it.

What we've done (that we find delicious but we know will get boring) is gotten a fresh cut from the store, rubbed some McCormick's Salmon Rub (Sweet Citrus Spice) on it, and baked it in the oven. Surprising delicious and subtle at the same time.

We need more recipes!!!!

Remember...we prefer nothing too complicated (I'll save that for my other cooking days), but if it's delicious, tell me about it anyway.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:09 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,780,830 times
A bearnaise sauce goes great on salmon but I'm not sure how easy that is to make. I've also had it with a buttery white wine sauce that was excellent.

Or you can use just a good old BBQ sauce. If you're short for time, you can even just drizzle some olive oil on it and add salt and pepper before cooking. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
A bearnaise sauce goes great on salmon but I'm not sure how easy that is to make. I've also had it with a buttery white wine sauce that was excellent.

Or you can use just a good old BBQ sauce. If you're short for time, you can even just drizzle some olive oil on it and add salt and pepper before cooking. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.
I have had bernaise sauces various times...not too much of a fan.

Does the olive oil/salt/pepper mask the taste of fish at all? Because it sounds like it'd just enhance it.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 AM

10,199 posts, read 17,780,830 times
I think it brings out the flavor in a good way but I love salmon and can eat it plain.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,524,983 times
Pop a couple of salmon steaks in a microwave dish with a couple of pats of butter and some Vidalia onion dressing, cover with wax paper and microwave on high for a couple of minutes - incredibly simple and absolutely delicious, melts in the mouth!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:08 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,281,642 times
We just had salmon last night. I put some olive oil on it, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Then I topped it with whole cranberry sauce and broiled it. It was delicious! A friend told me about putting different types of jellies on salmon and it always tastes good.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:46 AM

527 posts, read 1,017,584 times
I like my salmon very simple- just butter, lemon some fresh garlic, and black pepper- My b/f likes it made with dill and capers

Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,455,717 times
i once had it with a drizzle of a dijon sauce on it--very delicous. from what i could tell, the fish was broiled and then the sauce was drizzled over it. it had dijon mustard but also something like a mayo that made it creamy...wish i had the recipe, but might be easy to find.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:59 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,387,121 times
Cucumber dill sauce is perfect with Salmon.

I make a white wine herb marinade for my salmon and refrigerate it overnight.

Then I broil the salmon until it's "just" done NO longer.

You can find adequate cucumber dill sauce recipes online.

If you'd like my recipes just drop me a direct message and I'll write it out later and send it back.

I prefer using salmon filet instead of the salmon steaks when I make salmon.

You can serve the salmon cold the next day if you have leftovers and it's just as delicious.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 10-21-2010 at 01:09 PM..

Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,264,919 times
There's buttered Salmon with Creole seasonings. Sprinkle the skinless side of the salmon with Creole seasonings and thyme (for two salmon fillets, 2 teaspoon Creole seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon thyme). Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat and add the salmon, skin-side down. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, turning carefully. Remove to serving plates, and add 1 tsp. minced garlic to the butter in the skillet. Cook for just one minute, stirring, and put resulting garlic/butter sauce over salmon.

Or baked salmon with a creamy onion sauce. Preheat the oven to 400, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange salmon fillets on the sheet skin side down, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 12 minutes or until it flakes when tested with a fork. While it's baking, mix 1/8 cup plain yoghurt, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 1/2 tablespoon chopped onion, 1/2 tablespoon capers, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and blend until smooth (I use a stick blender). Either drizzle sauce over fish or serve on the side with fish so it can be added to taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes