Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times

Advertisements

I use all butter, and I use a food processor to make the dough. That way I don't have to try and cut in the butter by hand. And the only cold ingredient I use is ice water. I make my own pie crusts every year. One of these days I plan to try lard instead of butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I have made pie crust in a food processor before and never could figure out why it was not as flakey as pie crust made with a hand held pastry blender - until I took a fabulous cooking class from a caterer and she explained why food processor made crust is not as flakey.

When the pieces of fat are irregular (as in dough where the fat is cut in with two knives or a pastry blender) rather than identical (as they are in food processor made dough), the irregularly shaped fat creates more pockets of air as it is layered in the pastry - thus creating a flakier crust. Not to say that food processor pastry isn't good - it is...just not as flakey and toothsome.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM

You could definitely overwork a pie crust in a food processor, that's why I don't make it in entirely in one. I just like to start off the dough that way. Here's a website that best describes how I do it with a food processor:

How to Mix Flour, Fat, and Water for a Flaky Pie Crust - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips

A food processor works great—to a point. Many bakers only make pie crust by hand, swearing that this is the only way to control the dough. Others use the food processor exclusively, exulting in the ease and convenience. I use a processor for the first step—cutting the fats into the flour, which works really well (see my Flaky Pie Pastry recipe for details). The trick is to keep an eye on the consistency of the fat and flour.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Why go to that mess of having to clean a food processor when you can mix it with a pastry blender and get beautiful results - I've done both and believe me hand blended makes a flakier crust and less clean-up.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM

It's not so bad, I put everything through the dishwasher. I've done it both ways, this is just my personal preference.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Default Can we talk pie crust? What's your best recipe?

I've tried them all, and I have a standby recipe, but I have recently changed it.
My standby is:
1 c Crisco
3 c. flour
1 t. salt
12-14 T water

Now I use:
3 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
1 t. salt
3 T sugar
12-14 T water

The difference is that now it tastes really buttery.

I have made the one with an egg and vinegar and some baking soda, but they are so tender it's hard to roll out, but otherwise they are good too.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
2 1/2 cups flour
2 sticks butter
1 TBSP sugar for sweet, none for savory
1 tsp salt
ice cold water as needed

I've always only used butter, comes out great and flakey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes