U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:10 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,253,786 times

Advertisements

This came from irecipes.com but it looks good..

Crust
30-35 graham cracker squares, crumbled
1 stick unsalted butter, melted, plus additional, for brushing the pan
1 tablespoon sugar
Note: If using Honey Graham Crackers then omit the sugar.
Filling:
20 ounces cream cheese
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
3 yolks
1/3 cup half and half

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Brush some of the melted butter around a 9 by 3-inch cake pan. Place parchment paper to the bottom and the sides.

In a small bowl, combine crumbled graham crackers, the remaining melted butter, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Press the mixture into the bottom of the parchment-lined pan and to the sides and bake for 10 minutes. Let it cool.

In a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat sour cream for 10 seconds. Add the cream cheese and sugar and mix on low for 30 seconds and then turn up to medium. Scrape the bowl.

In a separate container, combine vanilla, eggs, yolks, and half and half. With the mixer on medium, slowly pour the liquid mixture in. Stop and scrape when half of the mixture is combined. Continue adding the mixture until the rest of the ingredients are incorporated. Once completely combined, pour into the cooled crust.

In the meantime, bring a pot of water to a boil.
Set the 9 by 3-inch prepared cake pan into a larger oven safe pan (preferably a roaster) and pour the boiling water into the larger pan until the water level reaches halfway through the 9 by 3-inch cake pan. This is called water bath. (bain Marie)

Lower oven temperature to 250 degrees F and bake 1 hour and 40 minutes. Turn the oven off and open the door for approximately one minute. Close the door for one more hour. Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and place in the refrigerator for 6 hours to completely cool before serving.

Like B4U says I think i'd let it cool a bit longer outside the chill chest.

I have never made this one but everything seems in order as far as ingredients go..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 AM

3,083 posts, read 3,431,515 times
The Irish cream chocolate chip cheesecake recipe found here; Link (http://www.cookswares.com/discussions/desserts3.asp - broken link) is one of my favorites.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,871,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
The Irish cream chocolate chip cheesecake recipe found here; Link (http://www.cookswares.com/discussions/desserts3.asp - broken link) is one of my favorites.
^^^ That sounds amazing. I never know what to do with the Baileys I seem to accumulate every year for Christmas. Family somehow decided I like it despite the fact that I never drink alcohol.

I have referred a few people to this site Cheesecake Recipes, but can honestly admit I've never tried any of the recipes except the red velvet which was out of this world.

I may have to try a pumpkin cheesecake for Thanksgiving this week.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 PM

9,341 posts, read 25,505,736 times
Default Cheesecake Recipe from Kraft Foods

Cheesecake Recipe from Kraft Foods

Here's what you will need:

1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 pkg (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs

You will also need:
A silver 9-inch springform pan, or a dark nonstick springform pan
mixing spoon
large bowl
electric mixer

Here's what you need to do:

1. Preheat oven to 325F if using a silver 9-inch springform pan (or to 300F if using a dark nonstick springform pan).

2. Mix 1-1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 3 tbsp sugar and 1/3 cup butter.

3. Press graham cracker crumb mixture firmly onto bottom of pan.

4. Beat the 4 (8 oz. each) pkgs of cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.

5. One at a time, add each of the 4 eggs, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended.

6. Pour cheese mixture over crust.

7. Bake 55 minutes or until center is almost set.

8. Loosen cheesecake from side of pan and let cool before removing side of pan.

Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,360,192 times
Here's my recipe for chocolate chip cheesecake. It's scrumptious but very heavy, so it serves a lot.

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake I Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM

4,677 posts, read 1,874,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Here's my recipe for chocolate chip cheesecake. It's scrumptious but very heavy, so it serves a lot.

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake I Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Yeah this is the one I always use, lol, but mine keeps cracking on the top.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:43 PM

409 posts, read 1,523,050 times
I'd like to find a layered...cheesecake/ pecan pie recipe. Hoping it will cut down the sweetness experienced with a traditional pecan pie. Anyone ever make one?...Sunny

Old 11-19-2010, 02:35 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,045,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
I'd like to find a layered...cheesecake/ pecan pie recipe. Hoping it will cut down the sweetness experienced with a traditional pecan pie. Anyone ever make one?...Sunny
I haven't made or ate one. Just thinking about that sweetness makes my teeth hurt!

I have a book called:
'The Joy of Cheesecake' by Dana Bovbjerg & Jeremy Iggers (pg.100)
that has a Praline Cheesecake recipe, where the pecans are blended with the batter.
I tried finding the recipe online, but all the sites for the book want you to buy it.
All the other recipes I see either have choc, or apple, or caramel, or pumpkin in them too.

If you're interested in the recipe for Praline Cheesecake, let me know and I'll type it up here.

In the meantime, I'll check some of my other books.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:41 PM
B4U

Sunny57,I see plenty of recipes for praline cheesecake bars/squares.
Check some of them out.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 PM
B4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I planned one for Thanksgiving, but found a new one I'm trying called, "Chocolate Bliss Cheesecake" by kraft foods.
Chocolate Bliss Cheesecake recipe

3 things I'll add to their recipe though is:
1.) grease the sides of the pan for easier release, and
2.) cook in a bain-marie, and
3.) cool alot more slowly than removing from oven, right to the refridgerator.
So I made my trial run baking this last night and cut into it tonight.
Here's my critique...FABULOUS!!! Not too sweet, just chocolatey enough, and creamy delish!

I did several things different than the original recipe:
1) I greased the sides of the pan & put parchment paper on the bottom.
2) I used Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers instead of Oreos
(they were alot more expensive, $4.19 for the small box, and I used all but 5 to make the 1 1/2 cups used in the recipe.)
3) The Chocolate wafers were alittle denser and dryer than Oreos so I increased the butter from 2 Tbsp. to 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp.
4) I used the 3 eggs called for, plus I whipped one egg white to add, and
5) added 2 oz. of sour cream.

My recommendation for cooling still stands as with regular NY cheesecake. Cool slowly. Too fast and it starts to drop quickly.
I did one hour cooking, 1 hour to cool with the oven door open, 1 on the cooling rack on the counter (but would liked to have done 2 hours because this is where it dropped just alittle after putting it in the fridge too soon), then to the fridge. It did drop just alittle, but it's a pretty looking cake.
To avoid cracking, if you are not going to cook in a bain-marie, at least put a cake pan of water in the oven. I did not bain-marie, but did use a pan of water, put in when I turned the oven on to preheat.

It did not dry out, it did not turn brown on the top, it was easy to remove from the sides and bottom, it looked so pretty, JUST LIKE THE PHOTO in the recipe link.
I don't know if the sour cream and additional egg made a difference. ( I think nothing can go wrong with sour cream in it- oh, yum!) But the crumb crust was supurb, and I'll alway prefer to use what I did, rather than Oreos.
And most importantly, IT IS SOOO DELICIOUS!!!

I was dying to cut into it and have a try (or 2) and I'm not a real sweets eater, so I only had alittle soup for dinner to keep room for the cake.
I called my 78 yr old neighbor to share, but she said she didn't like cheesecake, not even chocolate. So, just at the right time, my other neighbors came home from work, and I yelled to "hold it!". They just got married last Saturday and haven't been able to take a honeymoon yet. I thought it was a nice suprise/treat for them. I gave them a piece each.
20 minutes later, she came over with the plate, sheepishly and asked 2 more pieces. I beamed!!! Why sure!!! (And that was without the raspberry topping I plan to make for it!) Before I could wrap up the rest and clean the knife and put it away, she came back to return my cleaned plate. I think they inhaled it.

I make & sell NY style cheescakes. I have been for over 20-25 years. This is definately becoming part of my repetoire. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by B4U; 11-19-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes