Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,496 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a really good cheesecake recipe. I'm interested in all different ones but a good turtle or raspberry swirl would be nice too. And how do you get layers of cake between cheesecake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Default NY Style Cheesecake

Filling:

24 ounces cream cheese
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla

Crust:

1-1/2 cups ghram cracker crumbs
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
dash of cinnamon

Melt Butter in microwave and combine all crust ingredients in a bowl
use your fingers to make sure all crumbs are moist.
pour crumbs into an 8 inch springform pan, use bottom of a small glass to compress crumbs and use fingers to press some of the crumbs 3/4 inch up the sides of the pan. Put in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.

Very important for filling... Be sure all is at room temp.

Cream together cheese and sugar until creamy consistancy is reached.
** Do not over mix anything in the following stage**
Add eggs one at a time beating only until barely incorporated
Add vanilla only until it's barely incorporated.
Pour filling in chilled crust and on counter top rotate pan back and forth gently to get out any excess air.. you will notice bubbles on top.. Tiny little holes this is ok..

Place pan on cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 275 degree oven for 1-1/2 hours.. turn oven off and let sit in oven for 3 hours.. No peeking

Cool for 6 to 8 hours before serving

Sounds like a process but it's real easy and the results come out every time.. it's a heavy cheesecake if you like something a little lighter you need a recipe with sour cream added.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM

How do you keep it from cracking on top when in the oven? I make a chocolate chip one kinda like that but the top always cracks.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 AM

Dont over beat anything after creaming the sugar and creamcheese This recipe has never cracked on me.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
For cracking, I find it's the MOST IMPORTANT not to cool too fast.

I'd give you my recipes, but I sell mine, so I won't. In perfect honesty, when I've been forced to, I only give the basic recipe I've altered over so many years. They always complain their's don't come out the same.

With cooling then refridgerating, mine take about 12 -12 1/2 hours.
1/2 to prep.
1 to bake.
1 to leave after baking in a semi-closed oven. (the door is open partially)
1 to leave in and oven with the door open.
2 to leave on the counter to cool.
6-8 to cool in fridge.

Also, I didn't see if you are cooking in a bain-marie,( or water bath). This is important to keep the humidity up in the oven while cooking.

If they do crack, and sooner or later most do, just put a yummy topping on them, raspberrys, chocolate melted over, blueberries. Anything you want.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:03 PM

I dont cook in a bain-marie and with the cooling.... maybe thats why my recipe calls for leaving it in the oven so long after cooking.. Not sure, I got it off the Net somewhere after experimenting with quite a few different recipes and this is the one I liked best.. but I like it because it's heavy and dense in texture some people like a light fluffy cake..

Old 11-16-2010, 03:16 PM
B4U

Also, you didn't say what type cheescake you're making, or with what kind of crust.

French, NY style?

If you post your recipe, we may be aple to tweek it for you.
I would recpmmend, until the have a basic recipe down pat, not to try deviating to something more exotic.
Cheesecake is a world unto it's own. Not difficult, just diff. from all other cakes. It's more like a custard, firmed up, once cooled.
(that's the best way right now I can describe it.)

Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 AM

Here is the recipe I have used before. The very first time it didnt crack and since then everytime it does:

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter and cocoa. Press onto bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Set crust aside.
  2. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add sweetened condensed milk; beat well. Add vanilla and eggs, and beat on medium speed until smooth. Toss 1/3 of the miniature chocolate chips with the 1 teaspoon flour to coat (this keeps them from sinking to the bottom of the cake). Mix into cheese mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Sprinkle top with remaining chocolate chips.
  3. Bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 hour. Turn off oven (do not open oven door) and leave the cake in the oven to cool in the oven for another hour. Remove from oven and cool completely. Refrigerate before removing sides of pan. Keep cake refrigerated until time to serve.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Anyone have a recipe for the light fluffy sort of cheesecake that Sara Lee sells? My husband loves that kind but hates the heavier NY style.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:48 AM
B4U

Sorry, tilli. I make N.Y. style cheesecake in a 10" springfoam pan that is about 3" high.

I planned one for Thanksgiving, but found a new one I'm trying called, "Chocolate Bliss Cheesecake" by kraft foods.
Chocolate Bliss Cheesecake recipe

3 things I'll add to their recipe though is:
1.) grease the sides of the pan for easier release, and
2.) cook in a bain-marie, and
3.) cool alot more slowly than removing from oven, right to the refridgerator.

What You want to look for is a recipe for FRENCH (style) cheesecake.
It's lower and lighter than a NY (style) cheesecake.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes