Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 07:19 PM

50 posts, read 341,186 times

Advertisements

I'm getting into drinking health smoothies with fruit and veggies in them. I was wondering if anyone has their own favorite recipes to share.

This is one of my favorites. I don't have a name for it or anything but it's a great way to get a good dose of fruit and vegetables for the day. I put it in a container and bring it to work and drink it for breakfast or for a snack during the day when I'm hungry. I never measured the amount of each ingredient I use but just eyeball it.

Recipe:

- about 1 or more cups of fruit juice (any will do really, I use organic orange juice mostly)
- handful of fresh spinach leaves (I buy fresh in the produce isle and they still have their long stems, I have never removed these, I just leave them on)
- handful of baby carrots
- half of one large tomato
- one celery stalk, chopped
- thin slice of fresh ginger root
- couple tablespoons of lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 2-3 tablespoons of organic honey (more if you like it sweet)
- 1 12oz bag of frozen mixed berries (raspberries, strawberries and blackberries)
- 1-2 tablespoons of sake wine (optional, I just like the taste )

Pulse the blender a few times to get everything mixed up a little and then blend until very smooth (I have a "smoothie" setting on my blender). The end result will be this beautiful deep rich red color. Tastes more like fruit than a vegetable smoothie and the ginger gives it a kick. Lots of antioxidants! This is a good recipe to give to people who like fruit but refuse to eat their vegetables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 01:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Bananna Chocolate Yogurt Smoothie
This tastes very close to a shake but isn't.

You need a med to large dead ripe to over ripe bananna which has been frozen
Vanilla yogurt with active cultures
Milk or powered milk
Unsweetened cocoa powder
Water if powered milk is used

If you want to add a special chocolate kick, put a few dark chocolate chips in the blender FIRST. Spin it until they are chopped up. If you put it in later they don't mix well.

Start with the bananna, slicing in half inch slices frozen. The skin usually comes off but may have to be trimmed. Put this in the bottom of the blender.

Then add any powers. Use the cocoa to taste but for a really chocolity taste use a tablespoon or two. The milk power goes here too. Just a little.

You can make it taste like a malt by adding the ground malt used in malts here. But do not add too much without adding more water/milk.

Then add the yogurt. I usually use five to six heaping tbsps. It makes a BIG smoothy. Just pile on top of the dry stuff.

Add the water/fluids last. If you want to give it a mocha kind of taste add room temp to cold fresh coffee. The bananna will keep it thick, but experiment on how much wet stuff is needed for your blender and how you like the texture. A small amount will produce a very thick, eat with a spoon smoothie.

Blend on icebreaker first to break up the frozen bananna, then blend until done.

Pour and enjoy!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:51 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,199 times
Chick pea smoothie

They are delicious and full of protein.

There are no specific amounts for the ingredients. Just combine, to taste.

1 can of chick peas
1 large can of evaporated milk
sugar, to taste
dash of cinnamon
lots of ice
Add a couple of tablespoons of cold water if it's too thick for you.

Blend well and enjoy.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
mango, yogurt, and coconut milk

Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Chick pea smoothie

They are delicious and full of protein.

There are no specific amounts for the ingredients. Just combine, to taste.

1 can of chick peas
1 large can of evaporated milk
sugar, to taste
dash of cinnamon
lots of ice
Add a couple of tablespoons of cold water if it's too thick for you.

Blend well and enjoy.
That wouldn't be sweetened, watered down hummus?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
That wouldn't be sweetened, watered down hummus?
No, not at all. This is more milky tasting. Try it with a greater proportion of milk and see how you like it.

Sweetened hummus? Yuck.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,747 times
Strawberrys and mango with 16 ounce cup of ice, small greek yogurt, and a small amount of milk.
The only thing I ever measured was the 16 oz glass of ice. Makes enough for about 20 ounces...
I have tried all sorts of fruits and sometimes sub the milk for OJ. It would be very easy to make more or a little less.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,202 times
When we were teens... back in the early 70's ... mom used to make us a drink she called "Tiger Milk" before school each morning. It was very much like an "Orange Julius"....we even used raw eggs and never got sick!

frozen oj
raw egg
plain yougart
canned pineapple or peaches
bananna
wheat germ
water

They were great and only took minutes to make....Sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes