U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 AM

613 posts, read 1,000,128 times

Advertisements

Ghiradelli's classic fudge recipe is my fave, very rich and intense (cut into small pieces!) and so easy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:46 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,595,182 times
I've been making fudge using the Hershey's cocoa recipe for 40 years, and it turns out perfect every time.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 AM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
I've made fudge using Hershey's recipe since I was a teen. It's never been a sure thing for me. I think it's the best you can make. My dad taught me to cut it with some Peanut butter because it's so rich. I've tried the other recipes like some above. But, those are more like what you always get in stores and candy shops. I don't like the evap milk recipes. Problem making the Hershey recipe is varied. The pan size and type along with burner size and capability can determine success or failure. It seems you must reach the softball stage (temp) quickly. Hard to do with a regular stove burner. Keeping your thermometer off the bottom and trying to read actual temp of the violently boiling mixture is tough. I always do a double batch..first of all there's so much waste with what sticks to the pan. Also greater depth allows for better temp accuracy. Problem is ...double batch is harder to reach temp. I still fail a good portion of the time.
When I was a teen trying to cook the good stuff and failing I found an alternative. There was a product called Swel or Swell which was a powdered icing mix I believe. It had a simple fudge recipe on back of can. It was no fail and pretty good. Seems like I tried to find it sometime back.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM

2,406 posts, read 5,348,658 times
Talking The original foolproof Fudge.

Kraft came out with another foolproof fudge.... people say it's just not the same.

This recipe below is from a good 40 years ago....the only fudge that is requested every year.

NO NEED FOR CANDY THERMOMETERS. JUST GO BY EXACT RECIPE.

THE ORIGINAL FANTASY FOOLPROOF FUDGE

3 sticks butter, melted
6 c. sugar
1 can (10 oz.) evaporated milk
2 packages (11.5 oz. each) chocolate chips
1 jar (13 oz.) marshmallow cream
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. chopped pecans

Combine butter, sugar & evap. milk in heavy saucepan on medium heat. Bring to boil. Stir constantly for 5 minutes, while boiling on med. heat.
Remove from heat, add choc. chips until melted. Add marshmallow cream, vanilla & pecans. Mix with wooden spoon until all is blended. Pour into greased 13X9 pan or several smaller individual pans. Cool at room temp, then refrigerate.
If you want, you can even freeze this fudge. Make sure you wrap it up well, then in heavy duty foil, then a frozen ziploc.

I also have a great Peanut Butter Fudge recipe if anyone would like it.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:07 PM

6,193 posts, read 4,553,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
THE ORIGINAL FANTASY FOOLPROOF FUDGE
I excluded the marshmallow creme.

It came out great.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Your very welcome.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM

13,309 posts, read 21,866,149 times
I just made some of Alton Brown's peanut butter fudge over the holidays, and everyone was hooked. It didn't even require cooking over the stove. You just melt the peanut butter with the butter in a microwavable bowl, add a box of powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla and spread it in the pan. It didn't last for even an hour after I chilled and sliced it.

Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 AM

449 posts, read 1,474,406 times
Sillypups,
Would love to have your peanut butter fudge recipe.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Talking Chocolate peanut butter fudge

Here you go midwestmom ...

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

3 c. sugar
2/3 c. cocoa
1-1/2 c. milk

Stir together& cook over medium heat
Cook to softball stage then add 1 tsp. vanilla and 1-1/2 c. peanut butter.
Stir to melt peanut butter...it goes quick...so don't take a lot of time here.

Pour into buttered 9X13 pan...quickly.

Everyone loves this recipe...so enjoy

Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 AM

15,623 posts, read 14,886,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Kraft came out with another foolproof fudge.... people say it's just not the same. This recipe below is from a good 40 years ago....the only fudge that is requested every year. THE ORIGINAL FANTASY FOOLPROOF FUDGE.
Isn't that the same one that's on the back of the Kraft marshmallow creme jar? (Although the one you listed doubles the ingredients.) I never knew anything was changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes