U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 AM

36,494 posts, read 41,699,622 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of warm buffalo chicken dip, lately, served with triscuits and celery sticks.

I also like a version of the "Texas Caviar" style dip, which is more like a salsa, not a creamy dip. Just black eyed peas (can use black beans, too), olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro, chopped jalapeno, seasoning of your taste, and any other veggies you wanna throw in (my sister uses corn). Good with tortilla chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM

114,161 posts, read 54,034,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Def. agree. It's just that I seem to be able find way more premade salsas that are at least palatable than premade dips. Premade versions of the same dips I can make at home usually have weird preservatives and a weird gelatinous texture. If I don't have the fresh ingredients on hand to make great salsa, I can usually find one at the store that's not too bad. Most dips are really bad.
Yep. I don't like salsas to be too busy. We used to like Paces Picante sauce ..originated here in SA. They had a roasted garlic or pepper one years back that was really great. But, we haven't used Paces for some time not sure why. I like to make my own Pico da Gallo when we are making Fajitas. I'm really not into the bean cheese type dips. We get way to much cheese around here. My bunch makes the bean and cheese concoctions too often. Or cheese and salsas. The Herdez Salsas are very near to restaurant for tortilla chip dipping. Most of these dips in a jar were on sale/marked down and wife grabbed them. For this reason our pantry has more condiments than actual food

Old 01-31-2011, 01:19 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,922,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Def. agree. It's just that I seem to be able find way more premade salsas that are at least palatable than premade dips. Premade versions of the same dips I can make at home usually have weird preservatives and a weird gelatinous texture. If I don't have the fresh ingredients on hand to make great salsa, I can usually find one at the store that's not too bad. Most dips are really bad.
There are some fabulous dips - just not the typical ones or the premade ones you buy in the store.

I think fresh salsa is a nice addition to a group of appetizers but a little too expected and boring to stand alone at least at dinner parties I have. Everyone serves salsa even though there are a gazillion wonderful appetizers out there.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,857,091 times
Queso. The tostitos one is pretty good. But any Queso is freaking awesome!
Homemade salsas especially the lighter fruit type salsa mmmmmmmmmm

Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM

36,979 posts, read 45,424,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This is the best clam dip and so simple. I served this earlier this month at my husband's birthday party - it is always a hit.

Clam Dip

1 cube butter
1 large cream cheese (8 oz)
add 2 tuna size can of minced clams with the juice from one can

In a small saucepan melt butter and cream cheese stirring constantly. Add minced clams and their juice and continue to stir until mixture comes together and is hot.

Serve in the center of hollowed out round loaf of bread or in a chaffing dish and cubes of soft French or sourdough bread for dipping. ( I serve it in a bowl rather than the bread).
I haven't made clam dip in awhile...I sort of forgot. Same recipe, except with a splash of Worcestershire.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,922,109 times
Gentlehearts - I'll try that splash of worcestershire -thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,348 posts, read 11,852,377 times
I'm hoping some of you will have time to make a video of these dips and put on youtube since i'm not much of a recipe reader...i gotta see exactly how it is done! I gotta impress some friends over for a Super Bowl party Sunday. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:53 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,452,083 times
Someone made this at a holiday party- delicious dip:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 can (14 ounces) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,505,884 times
Quick appetizer that isn't any harder than dip:

Put a piece of puff pastry on a lightly floured cutting board. Gently roll it, or just press with your fingers to make it about 30% larger in size. To within an inch of all edges:
-Spread with canned pizza sauce (I prefer Muir Glen)
-Top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped fresh basil
-Sprinkle with garlic powder and Mrs. Dash (or some oregano and lemon pepper)
Roll up the pastry and then slice the roll into inch-size bars. Place them on a cookie sheet with a rolled edge on top. Leave enough space between because they will increase in size.
Bake at 375 degrees until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 PM

2,677 posts, read 6,241,604 times
Thumbs up Sour Cream/Chives/Parm

This dip is totally delicious!
Chop up your green onions (or chives) and stir 'em into your sour cream
and add gob-wads of parm cheese...let it chill for a few hours... and
chow down.

hmmmm... guess I'll make some when I get home tonight.
Havent' had this for years...

Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes