U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM

966 posts, read 1,603,915 times

Advertisements

I wish I could have more cajun and creole cuisine up here in the Mid-Atlantic. I did find this good recipe for some Shrimp Etouffee:

Shrimp etouffee recipe includes green onions, bell pepper, shrimp celery, tabasco, and rice.
Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 6 green onions and tops, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 pounds shrimp, peeled,deveined
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, to taste
  • 1 small bay leaf
  • tabasco sauce, to taste
  • hot cooked rice (I use Minute Rice, who in the hell has the time?)
Preparation:

In a skillet, melt the butter; add flour, stirring to blend. Cook, stirring constantly, until flour mixture is deep golden brown. Add the vegetables and cook until tender. Stir in the water, shrimp, parsley and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the shrimp are cooked. Serve over hot rice.
Serves 4 to 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:28 AM

72 posts, read 64,287 times
I hope everyone doesn't mind that I revived this thread (rather than start a new one).

I had the fortunate experience to have attended my first official crawfish boil while vacationing in Texas. The woman hosting at her house is originally from Louisiana so I feel I got a pretty authentic experience. Her food was amazing. One of the items she made was seafood balls and she made etouffee sauce for them.

I plan on trying to recreate both and wondering if anyone out there has some tips or some good recipes to offer.

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
I would ask her if you can. I never heard of etouffee sauce. What flavor was it? You could make the above recipe with sticky/short grain rice (don't rinse) and shape them into rice balls.

Were the balls fried or cooked like arancini balls?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I would ask her if you can. I never heard of etouffee sauce. What flavor was it? You could make the above recipe with sticky/short grain rice (don't rinse) and shape them into rice balls.

Were the balls fried or cooked like arancini balls?
From what I gathered from her, it is definitely a southern (creole) dish (the etouffee at least) and is usually served over rice. Hers was a brownish orange color and I do know she added flour to it to thicken it. I saw a recipe of Emeril's and he uses the "broth" of boiled shrimp as the base.

As far as the balls, as she said, there was nothing healthy about this dish, lol. I watched her drop them in a pot of oil yet they weren't greasy tasting at all. She may have used some type of corn meal to makeup the shape.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:20 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,861,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country-n-Sunshine View Post
From what I gathered from her, it is definitely a southern (creole) dish (the etouffee at least) and is usually served over rice. Hers was a brownish orange color and I do know she added flour to it to thicken it. I saw a recipe of Emeril's and he uses the "broth" of boiled shrimp as the base.

As far as the balls, as she said, there was nothing healthy about this dish, lol. I watched her drop them in a pot of oil yet they weren't greasy tasting at all. She may have used some type of corn meal to makeup the shape.
Sorry I meant I never heard of specifically etouffee sauce. Oooh are you saying that she made the plain rice into balls and served the etouffee on the side to dip the rice balls into?

I was thinking she made it all mixed together and formed balls and then served a sauce for it. That's why I was confused at first. Check out recipes for arancini to make the balls and make the etouffee like normal.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM

Ohhhhhh Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying, haha.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, there was rice with the cornmeal breading in the balls. So, she had a bowl of rice, the seafood balls on top, then poured the etouffee sauce on top. Yummm

and thank you, I'll look that up!!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:14 PM

58,052 posts, read 40,801,152 times
This recipe:Shrimp Etouffee Recipe

has replaced my old stand-by Etouffee recipe and I love it. I like that he uses the shrimp shells to make a stock, I save the shells from any shrimp recipes I cook in the freezer then make a stock and freeze portions, great addition to many dishes..

I would also HIGHLY recommend the Tiramisu on this man's site, it's OUTSTANDING!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:18 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,005,073 times
Chef John Folse has a great website for cajun and creole dishes. www.chefjohnfolse.com

I've never heard of seafood balls but it sounds interesting.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 PM

Oh wow, that recipe looks great!!! I think I'll use that one. And I am now following his Facebook page, seems like he has a lot of great stuff, thanks for the helpful link!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:00 PM

58,052 posts, read 40,801,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country-n-Sunshine View Post
Oh wow, that recipe looks great!!! I think I'll use that one. And I am now following his Facebook page, seems like he has a lot of great stuff, thanks for the helpful link!
So far I've made the Tiramisu. the Etouffee, and a Ricotta-Chocolate Chip Cake, all have been excellent, I guess his taste just suits mine. The desserts are not overly sweet which I really like, I'm not a fan of desserts that seem based on sugar and little else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or