U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,748,384 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good recipe?
I have some beautiful locally sourced flounder, DD asked me to make this.
Unfortunately, he doesnt like the Maryland style stuffing that all of the recipes seem to offer.....
Anyone have an alternate recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM

737 posts, read 2,250,487 times
flounder with a bit of mayo, s & p, and then shrouded through panko is great. The light dusting of panko and mayo won't hurt the taste. But, to stuff it, well that depends upon your taste... you can definitly use some finely chopped herbs and/or peppers but why? Just enjoy the lovely fish.If you have shrimp that you must use, simply do a shrimp fettucini along side of the flounder. Oh, I miss the flounder. I shall live vicarously through whatever recipe you use. But please post back as to the way you enjoyed the flounder.
If it must be stuffed, you'll need some type of cheese and then use the panko there versus the fish-only version. I wouldn't stuff it 'cause it is just really good as it is.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 04-03-2011 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: to add...

Old 04-03-2011, 09:32 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times
Easy. Throw the shrimp in a pot, add heavy cream to BARELY cover, bring to a boil, quickly add cornstarch mixed with milk to thicken, toss in some seasoned croutons, stir and take off the heat to cool. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Julia Child sort of chef but you want the mix to be not too liquid but not too thick. To add a little pizzaz you can add a sparing amount of Goya picante seasoning and a touch of lobster base such as Minors. The mix is VERY adaptable where the addition of more or less is concerned. Taste!

When it's cooled, lay out the flounder filets, spread with the mix and roll 'em up, place them in a pre-buttered baking pan close together. If the pan is too large that the filets can't belly up together you can anchor the filet and stuffing with toothpicks. Preheat your oven to 350, drizzle - don't soak - the stuffed filets with a white wine such as Chardonnay (or even a sweet dessert wine such as a Sauterne), pop the pan into the oven and they should be done in about 10 minutes or so.

You can test done-ness with a toothpick but always remember that fish, like good beef, should never be overcooked.

I'd serve this with a simple mixed baby green or mesclun salad with a vidalia onion or lemon herb dressing.

Hope I've been of some help but as a restaurant owner, sole chef, bottle washer, toilet cleaner and floor mopper and general maintenance doer I do what I do and am simply incapable of giving you a recipe that requires a teaspoon of this and a teaspoon of that! Cheers!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Easy. Throw the shrimp in a pot, add heavy cream to BARELY cover, bring to a boil, quickly add cornstarch mixed with milk to thicken, toss in some seasoned croutons, stir and take off the heat to cool. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Julia Child sort of chef but you want the mix to be not too liquid but not too thick. To add a little pizzaz you can add a sparing amount of Goya picante seasoning and a touch of lobster base such as Minors. The mix is VERY adaptable where the addition of more or less is concerned. Taste!

When it's cooled, lay out the flounder filets, spread with the mix and roll 'em up, place them in a pre-buttered baking pan close together. If the pan is too large that the filets can't belly up together you can anchor the filet and stuffing with toothpicks. Preheat your oven to 350, drizzle - don't soak - the stuffed filets with a white wine such as Chardonnay (or even a sweet dessert wine such as a Sauterne), pop the pan into the oven and they should be done in about 10 minutes or so.

You can test done-ness with a toothpick but always remember that fish, like good beef, should never be overcooked.

I'd serve this with a simple mixed baby green or mesclun salad with a vidalia onion or lemon herb dressing.

Hope I've been of some help but as a restaurant owner, sole chef, bottle washer, toilet cleaner and floor mopper and general maintenance doer I do what I do and am simply incapable of giving you a recipe that requires a teaspoon of this and a teaspoon of that! Cheers!
What you have told me is perfect....I'm not the kind of cook that uses rigid recipes, I needed ideas, which you have given in abundance!
I was in the restaurant world for a long time, so I totally get where you are coming from, thank you!
By the end of the week the first mesclun and arugula will be ready in the garden, so I will wait until its ready to make the flounder.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
flounder with a bit of mayo, s & p, and then shrouded through panko is great. The light dusting of panko and mayo won't hurt the taste. But, to stuff it, well that depends upon your taste... you can definitly use some finely chopped herbs and/or peppers but why? Just enjoy the lovely fish.If you have shrimp that you must use, simply do a shrimp fettucini along side of the flounder. Oh, I miss the flounder. I shall live vicarously through whatever recipe you use. But please post back as to the way you enjoyed the flounder.
If it must be stuffed, you'll need some type of cheese and then use the panko there versus the fish-only version. I wouldn't stuff it 'cause it is just really good as it is.
I'll post what I do with the flounder....I would prefer it baked very simply, but DH drove all the way over to Ormond Beach to buy the flounder, so he gets to choose how he wants to eat it....I dont do that very often, lol.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What you have told me is perfect....I'm not the kind of cook that uses rigid recipes, I needed ideas, which you have given in abundance!
I was in the restaurant world for a long time, so I totally get where you are coming from, thank you!
By the end of the week the first mesclun and arugula will be ready in the garden, so I will wait until its ready to make the flounder.
Thanks for a good uplifting chuckle which was totally unexpected - who'd a thunk I'd be giving ideas to a kindred soul where cooking is concerned... It's been a rough week in Paradise and I feel much better now as I start to wind down and get my old bones headed to bed. Cheers, dear!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM

10,893 posts, read 9,889,746 times
OK, NOW I have two issues!

Number 1. I want some of that flounder!

Number 2. I want to be in Paradise in St. Thomas!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
OK, NOW I have two issues!

Number 1. I want some of that flounder!

Number 2. I want to be in Paradise in St. Thomas!

Lol, I would take option #2 in a heartbeat!

Old 04-04-2011, 03:05 PM

10,893 posts, read 9,889,746 times
Can't I have both?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes