Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

59,707 posts, read 30,160,871 times

Advertisements

Please post yours.

What's low carb?
Meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, cheese, nuts, salad veg, green and other non-starchy veg.

What's high in carbs? - leave these out! Don't post recipes HEAVY in these things in this thread.
Grains, rice, pasta, wheat, potatoes, bread, candy, desserts, sugar, sweets.

http://www.low-carb-diet-recipes.com/lowcarb_food.htm
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 AM

986 posts, read 1,657,862 times
Low Carb Pizza

I made this for my brother and I. He doesn't like cauliflower...he loved it. I told him after he ate it that the crust was made with cauliflower. He didn't believe me...

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
(I love garlic, so I will probably add 2 teaspoons garlic when I make it)

- pizza or alfredo sauce
- toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
- mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.
Bake at 450 degrees on the bottom rack for 15 - 17 minutes (21 - 24 minutes if you double the recipe). Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce (recipe below), then toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted.

* Use frozen cauliflower prepared according to package directions. After cooked and slightly cooled, shred cauliflower with a cheese grater, and then measure for the recipe. (Don't pack down the cup with cauliflower. Just fill it with a spoon or the cup itself.)

Sauce:
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1/2 tsp. splenda
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp fresh chopped basil
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground paprika

1. In a medium bowl, Mix together tomato sauce and tomato paste until smooth. Stir in oregano, garlic, splenda, basil, and paprika.

NOTES: I topped the pizza with a reduced fat provolone/mozzarella blend, with turkey pepperoni and veggies. I'll definitely be making this again!

The crust is kind of small, though; if I was making this for a family, I'd double (or triple) the crust recipe.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Tomato "Pizzettes"

South Beach Phase I "Pizzas"

Ingredients
1 steak tomato (I didn't have a beefsteak tomato, so I used 2 on the vine tomatoes)
6 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce (got mine from Trader Joe's)
6 slices lowfat mozzarella cheese

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to Broil.
2. Slice the tomato to 6 even slices
3. Top each slice with a tbsp of pesto and a slice of cheese.
4. broil until cheese is melted and eat away.

*To make it easier to clean, I sprayed the pan with Pam before placing the tomatoes and cheese in the baking dish.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM

Low carb deep dish pizza

Preheat oven to 350*, and spray a 10" pie plate with Pam.

Mix together-
1lb xlean ground turkeybreast or ground beef
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
Pat into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake about 20 minutes.

In medium bowl mix together-
1 cup ricotta
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup jarred spaghetti sauce (I use Cento brand) -- or use sauce recipe above (make sure the sauce does not contain HFCS or sugar!)
1-2 Tbsp. pesto

Spoon into the hamburger crust and top with chopped veggies of your choice. I used red peppers, mushrooms, onions and black olives. Sprinkle with a little mozzarella. Bake another 20-25 minutes til bubbly. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving. Mangia!

NOTE: When I made mine, i omitted the ricotta. Just as yummy

Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,358,180 times
Oh, I literally have 1000's ....

Cheddar Broccoli Soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 ounce cream cheese
1/2 cup broccoli florets, steamed or microwave, chopped
1 dash of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1/8 cup cream at room temperature
Heat chicken broth on low in a saucepan with cream cheese until the cream cheese is melted. Add broccoli, Worcestershire sauce, cheddar, and parmesan, and stir until cheddar has melted. Add cream and heat for a minute or so more. (Do not boil, cream will curdle.)
One generous serving.

Vegetable Soup
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 cup fresh cut green beans
1/2 cup zucchini
1/2 cup yellow squash
2/3 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 quarts chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste
In large saucepan heat oil and sauté all the vegetables, parsley and garlic 3 minutes or just until vegetables begin to cook. Add chicken broth, bay leaves and chives; bring to boil . Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. You can also add chunks of already cooked poultry, meat or sausage to this.

Baked Salmon with Mustard Dill Sauce
(Actually, any favorite fish fillet)
About 1 to 2 pounds salmon fillet
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons mustard
3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
3 tablespoons red onion, chopped fine
Salt, pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix sour cream, mustard, dill, onion, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl and let stand at room temperature. Sprinkle bottom of a glass baking dish with olive oil. Place the salmon skin side down. Sprinkle top of it with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Take 1/3 cup of the sour cream mixture and spread it on top of the salmon. Bake for 20 minutes or until salmon is pink. Serve with additional sauce on the side

Chinese Chicken Fingers
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon peanut oil
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts -- cut each in 8 slices
Combine the lemon juice, soy sauce, mustard, oil and cayenne pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Add the chicken strips and toss well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, tossing occasionally. Preheat the broiler and lightly grease the broiler pan rack. Place the chicken strips on the rack about 1 inch apart and broil 4-5 inches from the heat for 5 minutes, brushing once with the soy sauce mixture halfway through the cooking. Turn the chicken and broil 5 minutes longer, again brushing with the soy sauce mixture halfway through.

Kahlua!
3 cups boiling water
4 cups Splenda
1 vanilla bean
3/4 cup freeze-dried coffee
750ml bottle of vodka
Add Splenda to 2 1/2 cups of the boiling water. Simmer until the Splenda has completely dissolved (may take a few minutes) - and then allow to cool. Dissolve the coffee in the remaining 1/2 cup of boiling water. Then allow everything to cool completely. Add all the ingredients together in a sealed container and allow to stand somewhere coolish and dark for 3 weeks. Take out and shake container at least once a day to keep the Splenda mixed it.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,951,396 times
Almost every meal we make:

Get a seasoning you really like - I use mesquite fajita seasoning - and rub it on some meat. Any will do.

Cut up veggies you like - we use mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, yellow squash, zucchini, put on a little olive oil, the same seasoning and put it in a grill wok (looks like a bowl with holes for the grill). Sometimes we add cayenne just for a little zing. I also keep soy sauce in a spray bottle to spray on veggies while grilling to keep them from drying out.

Grill the meat and veggies (stir often), serve with fresh fruit (I know fruit has carbs, but it's the good stuff).

Viola, a low-carb meal that's healthy and tasty.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:54 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,298,752 times
MRBookworm fixed Eggs in Purgatory for supper earlier this week, which is one of our all-time favorite "breakfast for supper" meals. The traditional way to serve it is either with pita bread or over couscous, but you can keep it low-carb by choosing alternatives to those options. Roasted vegetables would be a good choice, although MRBookworm served it alongside steamed spinach with a splash of balsamic vinegar.

Eggs in Purgatory

1 Tbs veg oil
1 small or half a large onion, fine-chopped
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 Tbs harissa paste (Harissa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or can substitute other hot pepper sauce if preferred
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 medium (or roughly one cup) roasted red peppers, the kind you get in a jar, chopped
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomato with juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 eggs

Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook 2 or 3 minutes, until just softened. Add tomato paste, harissa and garlic, stir in and cook about half a minute more. Add the peppers and tomatoes and stir to combine. Turn heat down to low and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in half of the parsley, and then make four small wells or indentations in the sauce, which will be thick and chunky. Break an egg into each little dent, cover the pan and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Garnish with the rest of the parsley.

We usually wind up with extra sauce left, and I save it to use later in the week to season up grilled fish or chicken. If you don't care for spicy things, you could leave out the harissa paste and season it with milder herbs instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes