U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM

4,037 posts, read 9,163,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Isn't saying you don't want to make mexican food with tortillas like saying you don't want to make italian food with pasta?

I make tacos out of any one of mix of the following: marinated steak, chicken, shrimp, leftover roast beef, ground beef, canned beans, homemade beans, avocado, cheese.. The seasonings and other toppings are up to you so make it taste as "non-mexican" as you like. A taco is just anything wrapped in a tortilla.

I've made the layered casserole thing with refried beans, corn tortillas, cheese, and chicken.. pretty good, not my favorite.

Flour tortillas make nice wrap sandwiches (try asian seasoned meatballs with shredded cabbage and plum sauce.. oy).
Well that was kind of my thought too. In our part of the world, Mexican kind of just melds with everything else. I don't even really think about them being "Mexican". We eat tortilla's with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
I've made the layered casserole thing with refried beans, corn tortillas, cheese, and chicken.. pretty good, not my favorite.
Try the King Ranch Casserole...there's no refried beans in it and you use soups. We always have corn and flour tortillas on hand and make a wide variety of things with them. Many mentioned here and more.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM

satx56, my King Ranch Casserole is very much like yours, but mine also has about 1/2 a packet of chili or taco seasoning sprinkled over the top of the soup layer. Adds a bit of zip to it.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:44 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
satx56, my King Ranch Casserole is very much like yours, but mine also has about 1/2 a packet of chili or taco seasoning sprinkled over the top of the soup layer. Adds a bit of zip to it.
Sour cream could be a good addition or add in! I love dishes like the casserole and others where you can experiment and throw so many things in! Btw, I've gotten pretty good at making my version of carne guisada which are my favorite tacos. But i never make a recipe, same with my enchiladas so they vary.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Sour cream could be a good addition or add in! I love dishes like the casserole and others where you can experiment and throw so many things in! Btw, I've gotten pretty good at making my version of carne guisada which are my favorite tacos. But i never make a recipe, same with my enchiladas so they vary.
I always serve it with sour cream on top, along with Pace Picante Sauce and if I have any, sliced avocado. I haven't made carne guisada in ages. DH loves it. I like to do it in the crock pot. We use warm soft flour tortillas and make burritos out of it. I don't have a recipe either. Just start throwing stuff together. I love to make chicken enchiladas with a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. So quick and easy. Also use them for making chicken tacos. I use shredded chicken and put down the center of a corn tortilla, then quickly fry them in a skillet. So yummy. Reminds me of a little taco place in Odessa, Tx we used to eat at all the time.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 PM

133 posts, read 231,191 times
Default RE: Tortillas

Try making stacked Enchiladas - AKA Mexi-lasanga

1 lb ground beef
8 oz grated cheese
3 cans "Ranch Style" beans
12 corn tortillas
2 tbs oil

Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease 11 x 13 pan.

Brown ground beef, and drain. Add "ranch" beans (these are pinto beans in a mild chili gravy) heat through.
heat ~1 tsp oil in a medium pan. Lightly fry tortillas, adding oil as needed.
put 6 tortillas in pan. Spread half of the bean/beef mixture to the pan, then top with half the cheese. Layer the remaining tortillas on top, repeat layering the bean/beef and cheese mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.

You can personalize this with chopped onions, jalapenos, salsa, tomatoes... let your imagination run wild.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 PM

511 posts, read 790,351 times
Tortilla pinwheels:

Spread mix- combine ingred below
1 packet hidden valley ranch dip
1 8 oz block cream cheese
1 cup of sour cream

Toppings, use whatever you like~ I use bacon or ham, diced tomato pieces, cucumbers etc.

Spread 1 tortilla with spread mix evenly then add bacon or ham or whatever else you like.
Roll up then slice in to 1/2 inch pieces making pinwheel like treats Yum!!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
bjh

30,249 posts, read 23,700,281 times
I've recently begun to make pizza tacos. We've had them twice, no exact measurement, I made them myself.

Get a microwaveable bowl and mix jar pizza sauce or marinara with shredded mozz. Then put in chopped pepperoni or Canadian bacon. Olives or peppers. Whatever you would top a pizza with. Mix and heat it up good and hot. Then put a tablespoon or two on a flour tortilla, roll up and enjoy the tast of pizza without the thick heavy dough crust.

A little goes a long way. Leftovers are good the next day, even if still cold.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM

511 posts, read 790,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
Tortilla pinwheels:

Spread mix- combine ingred below
1 packet hidden valley ranch dip
1 8 oz block cream cheese
1 cup of sour cream

Toppings, use whatever you like~ I use bacon or ham, diced tomato pieces, cucumbers etc.

Spread 1 tortilla with spread mix evenly then add bacon or ham or whatever else you like.
Roll up then slice in to 1/2 inch pieces making pinwheel like treats Yum!!
I just wanted to clarify instructions .... The spread mix recipe makes enough to spread over several tortillas not just one. I meant to say spread each tortilla evenly with spread then add toppings.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,207,783 times
This requires a little work but is well worth it in the end.

Tortilla Soup

2 tbs oil for cooking - plus enough to deep fry tortilla strips

1 cup carrots diced

1 cup celery minced
1 small onion diced
tsp garlic powder
tsp white pepper
5 cups chicken broth
1 small can diced tomatoes
1 small can Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 tsp taco seasoning
8 small soft corn tortillas
2 to 3 cooked chicken breast, shredded or diced
8 ounces shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 avocado diced
1 small container of sour cream

salt to taste

Saute in a large cast iron pot over medium-high heat carrots, celery and onions until tender.
Add pepper, garlic powder and chicken broth and bring to a boil.

Stir in the tomatoes, Ro-tel tomatoes, taco seasoning and chicken.
Cut 8 soft tortillas into small pieces and add.

Boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are incorporated into the soup.

Stir occasionally to keep the soup from sticking as it thickens.
Reduce heat to low and add 6 ounces of cheese.

Simmer 10 minutes.

Add heavy whipping cream and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Adjust for salt if needed

In the mean time slice one tortilla into 1/8" slices and deep fry, drain on paper towels, set aside.

Serve with shredded cheese, diced avocado, sour cream and fried tortilla strips. And if you really want to show off and get real fancy you can dust the bowl edges with paprika.

Ciao

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes